My new installation protocol...

birdguy

With no solution to Death Valley National Forest I deleted all my Orbx scenery.

I reinstalled the North American Regions and the Library and everything looks normal now, even Death Valley.  Tomorrow I will begin installing the regions' airports.

I am not going to install anything anymore that doesn't haven't a P3Dv3 installer.  I deleted my Migration Tool.  I won't be using it anymore.

No more third party sceneries except for RTMM and Tongass Fjords.  Those have always worked for me and Tongass Fjords is a must have to link PFJ and SAC.  Otherwise if it's not Orbx it won't get in the door.  All of my Aerosoft sceneries are history now.

I am waiting for the release of the full NA Land Class before installing it and Global but I will wait at least two weeks before downloading it to see if any problems crop up like they did with the new FTX Central 2. 

At this point in time I am not planning on installing anything outside of North America.  It's a large continent and should satisfy me for the remaining 22 years of life I hope I have left.  I feel installing areas I will seldom or never fly just to have them is not productive and could be risky.

Noel

I'm right behind you Noel. After five failed migrations (two FSX and three P3D) I finally thought I'd gotten it right a few days back. And then today I lost all the autogen in P3D for no apparent reason. So.....everything has been uninstalled and, like you, it's going to be North America only this time around. And it's going to be FSX only as well...no more P3D. And no more migration attempts either. Keeping two sims going is just too much for my old bones. At least I know everything works with FSX and the "old" pre-migration process. Sigh.....

Doug

I'd have to agree with the OP about scenery installation.  If it isn't ORBX, don't bother as it just opens up a can of worms you don't need to deal with.  Granted I own quite a few airports from other developers, but those are airports and typically don't bear any weight against stability and the enhancement of any airport beyond stock is always a plus.  A prime example, this past weekend, I started to fly once again, within my home country.  I have very little large scale airports in the US that are P3D V3 compatible, but for those I do have, they call for longer than usual flights I typically fly.  I performed one from KIAD to KTPA and yesterday, my longest ever, was KIAD to KPHX.  Both worked without issue, although yesterdays was a nail biter and I was worried that once I neared KPHX, my rig would crash, but it didn't...a bit of stuttering, but I got there in one piece.  Granted this was all done with FTX GLobal, no regions and of course, no OpenLC.  I looked forward to the release of the US, which should make for more interesting scenery.

All of my ORBX scenery is performing beautifully now, since the kinks have been worked out and I am very happy.  All of this is being powered by P3D v3.2 and ASN.  No upgrade to v3.3 yet and I still doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

I didn't have to re-install it Dale.  I only deleted Orbx files so it was still on my system.

Originally just install it normally.  Directed it to install in the P3Dv3 (or FSX) folder and run the setup.  Mine is in D:/Lockheed/P3d/FSAddon  It may or may not put the two files in the scenery library.  If it does not you will have to add them manually.

Noel

Ya know Spud, I may have used the migration tool when installing Tongass Fjords.  I did have it installed then.

This time around I had to do nothing because it was already there.  After reinstalling SAC and PFJ I did go to Sitka to se if it Tongass was still working and it was as it should be.

Noel

So far so good.  I have SCA, NCA, PNW, PFJ, Tongass Fjords, SAK, NRM and CRM installed.  I also have installed all the airports for CRM, NCA, SCA, and PFJ installed except for KWYS-West Yellowstone, KBZN-Bozeman and KBLU-Blue Canyon which haven't got quad installers released yet.

After each installation I check Death Valley and it still looks OK.

Tomorrow I will install the airports for NRM, SAK, and PNW.

Noel

Hi Noel,

Apologies for sidetracking the thread, but since you're approaching the reinstall in a very methodical way, I thought I'd ask about your experience with Tongass in P3D V3.3.

I've installed TFX using the "fake" fsx.exe trick, then modified terrain.cfg manually according to Holger's instructions. Everything appears to work fine (no trees in the water, etc.), but I'm missing some buildings at airports which I'm sure were there in 3.2. I've installed the hotfix that is supposed to fix legacy scenery issues, but the problem persists. Could I ask you to have a look at Wrangell (PAWG), for example, and see if all buildings display correctly for you? In my install, the custom ones (e.g. the Alaska Airlines building) are missing.

TIA,

Tym

As I mentioned before I did not reinstall Tongass Fjords when I reinstalled Orbx.  Everything non-Orbx was still there.  I only reinstalled Orbx files.

I don't know what's supposed to be there and what's not.  I am assuming that when I originally installed Tongass everything was there.  This is the way Wrangell and Sitka have always looked for me and I am satisfied with that.

Sitka

Image_160628_122545.jpg

Wrangell

Image_160628_122400.jpg

Noel

Thank you for taking the time to check this, and sorry about the late reply.

This confirms my suspicion that the issue is related to V3.3. It appears that the hotfix didn't fix everything that got broken in the original 3.3 release. Some buildings are missing (you can see the darker rectangular patches where they're supposed to be in the PAWG shot). It's a pity, really, as compatibility updates to TFX are highly unlikely...

Thanks again,

Tym

Archived