What a quandary!

Ok - I have learned this morning that the P3D upgrade to 3.3.5 will be the last of this series and LM will, at some time in the future be

launching a new simulator which will be more graphics cards friendly.

Be that as it may, I wonder whether upgrading to 3.5 is worth while. 

If you don't get anything but a couple of boats and a drone extra in the content .msi and the scenery remains unchanged, there seems no point in changing them as far as I can see.

In which case that leaves the client.msi.  Now I read all the improvements(?) LM had made to this update, and there were many of them, but I could see only one that might make a marginal improvement for me.

Although I've downloaded the bits for 3.3.5, as I am very satisfied with 3.2 which seems to work very well for me, now much better than FSX and better than LM's previous offerings, and I am really enjoying my flight simming,  I'm wondering why on earth should I change and take the chance that everything will be buggered up again?

Can someone convince me otherwise?

John

I'll say.  First there is the FSX unified issues, messing things up and we don't know what if anything we should do, and there hasn't been a roll back option (which there should have been in my view), and now P3D v3 evolution...what is in store a v4 which we might have to buy new licences? Our V3 stuff might not work....argg.

I'm getting so tired of tweaking, installing, reinstalling, adjusting, buying.

1 hour ago, fltsimguy said:

I'll say.  First there is the FSX unified issues, messing things up and we don't know what if anything we should do, and there hasn't been a roll back option (which there should have been in my view), and now P3D v3 evolution...what is in store a v4 which we might have to buy new licences? Our V3 stuff might not work....argg.

I'm getting so tired of tweaking, installing, reinstalling, adjusting, buying.

I totally agree.  I JUST bought P3D last week and now I regret it.

I have FSX fully loaded with almost all of Orbx's stuff and it's nice but not as fluid or VAS friendly as P3D.  But these endless updates are crazy.

I'm staying with 3.2 until I see a 64 bit sim (VAS reasons) that's so good I will want it.

6 hours ago, JohnY said:

Ok - I have learned this morning that the P3D upgrade to 3.3.5 will be the last of this series and LM will, at some time in the future be

launching a new simulator which will be more graphics cards friendly.

Sorry, I was away for half of a day, which obviously was enough to be left lighyears behind developments. Could you, please, give a link or something?

Thank you and kind regards, Michael

11 hours ago, pmb said:

Sorry, I was away for half of a day, which obviously was enough to be left lighyears behind developments. Could you, please, give a link or something?

No one to enlighten me with a bit of detail?  I guess it was in JV's FlightSimCon AirdailyX lifestream being barely understandable even for native speakers but a no-go for me poor German.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Sorry Michael I can't help you with that information.  I have no more news than that and it certainly didn't come from a commercial link.  As I said, a friend

mentioned it to me and I've no idea where he got it from.

John 

14 hours ago, JS07 said:

...  But these endless updates are crazy.

I'm staying with 3.2 until I see a 64 bit sim (VAS reasons) that's so good I will want it.

When you follow the instructions to remove client and content only and install the new client and content, nothing of your OrbX addons will be touched!

I'v got 248 scenery.cfg entries, most of them FTX/OrbX - and it was a 5-minutes-change for me.

Simply run FTX-Central after the upgrade of P3D, and that's all.

No more needs for endless re-installing (I hated it for all the v2.x versions!)

Michael.

That may be so for Orbx Mike but many of us have addons other than Orbx - UK2000 for example but there are many others which do seem to have been affected and like others here, I'm simply fed-up with using time mucking about with the sim' rather than actually flying.

John

Just my opinion here JohnY; I had updated to 3.3.5, and the conflicts it had with the UK2000 etc was fixed via the LM hotfix. However it did effect my RealismShader ( which i find superb by the way) so this morning I reverted back to 3.2. Everything works just great, so I will stick to 3.2.. Glad to hear you are enjoying P3D v3.2 as well since your initial hesitation to go to P3D. IF we get a 64 bit version of P3D then I no doubt will upgrade although all current sceneries will be redundant. Only 64bit currently that i have tried is DFg Flight School, and I can't really comment on that as it is basically an experimental platform for DGG's flight sim, ( and I am not that impressed to date especially as it only gives me about 30fps and that is with no addons. I am wondering what having 300GB of addons would do to it)

Hi,

in case LM should come up with a 64 Bit Sim I'll certainly use it in parallel, too. Addons for this one will become slowly available anyway. This means (i) if it will be available to us mere mortals at all, (ii) it will be in a price range adapted to mere mortals (i.e. comprable to P3D), which both no one can answer today.

I own Flight School, but consider it just a missed approach (and according to Steam ratings I'm not alone). Gives me bad feelings about the future offering from DT, but we'll see. I like AeroflyFS2 for a fresh (64 bit) start.

Kind regards, Michael

I have 1.6TB, yes TB of addon scenery on one disc and some running over on to another one.  Then, of course there's the simulator and Orbx on 'C' so you can imagine how frustrating and time consuming it is to reinstall that lot when making changes and when things go wrong.

And, I'm not being morbid, just facing facts.  I just don't think at my age (83) I can expect to still be here when the next sim' comes along so it's in my interest to get as much as I can from the present one and with the problems its already caused for people (me included to a certain extent) I don't think 3.5.5 can offer me any more than I'm getting now.

By the way, I wish Avalon was sign-posted to the gates.  I got lost just now and parked it outside their entrance!   The guys at the doors didn't look or act impressed trying to wave me on.:D

John 

Archived