Wow ! What a difference a decent CPU makes

Jon Clarke

I very recently upgraded my Mobo, CPU and Memory + a Water Cooler. The CPU is a i7 4790@4.6Ghz. What a tremendous difference it has made to P3D's performance. I just took a flight at JFK (OK it's default scenery) but when i was last there I was getting 20+ fps, and even lower when flying low around Manhattan. This morning I went to JFK: 43fps. Manhattan:38-46fps. This is with MT6, all settings Ultra except vegetation at Normal. It includes dynamic clouds, shadow send and receive, REX Clouds & textures. I am delighted, I thought my previous set up allowed me decent performance but this surpasses all expectations. I am really looking forward to OLC NA full version as I anticipate a whole New World (no pun intended !) being made available to me with stellar performance, especially around some of the large major cities that NA has.

One very happy camper here.

Apologies for not informing you of my previous rig details.

Gigabyte X58 Mobo, i7 975 Extreme at 3.5 from 3.3 stock(Turbo 26x in Bios) 12GB Ram, GTX 780 (no change and excellent value for money..baby Titan)and a Mugen Max CPU fan cooler.

bvdboomen: My new specs are in my signature. Total cost of upgrade with £35 building cost included was £526.Done by Scan UK but others are available. The only remnant I have left of my old rig is the GPU.

3 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Gigabyte X58 Mobo, i7 975 Extreme at 3.5 from 3.3 stock(Turbo 26x in Bios) 12GB Ram,

Ok, this explains a lot. The i7 975 is four generations older than the i7 4790K (Nehalem -> Sandybridge -> Ivybridge -> Haswell), therefore your novel Haswell processor will already provide around 40% more performance at the same clocks compared to Nehalem. In addition, you run your CPU now at 4.6GHz, this is another 30% more. So, in the ideal case, the CPU alone should provide you with more than 70% performance increase. In addition to that, you have now faster RAM and a newer chipset. In the end, you get exactly what I would have expected, nice.

But one question remains: why did you not directly upgrade to the newest generation, meaning the i7-6700K?

My set up came with Hyperthreading enabled and I questioned it's performance impact in P3D. My experience to date is that it is having no adverse effect whatsoever. I had read many forums saying to disable it but as i say, all is smooth as silk and none of the stutters etc that many reported using HT. I did disable it for a short time to see what happened. I noticed no real fps improvement but it ran a bit hotter. I decided that because I could not notice a visible difference in performance between HT on or off, (maybe a few fps higher with off, but what is the difference between 48 fps and 50 fps?) I would leave HT on.

Anyone know if there would be any noticeable uptick in performance by switching to one of these newer generation CPUs from my old i5-2500K OCed to 4.5?  I often wonder if I'm missing out on better performance, but have never found a satisfying answer worth gambling several hundred on upgrades for....  Is the 4.5GHz the bottom line, or are there other considerations that would make a tangible difference??

8 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

bvdboomen: My new specs are in my signature. Total cost of upgrade with £35 building cost included was £526.Done by Scan UK but others are available. The only remnant I have left of my old rig is the GPU.

Thank you for the info.

11 hours ago, Drizzle said:

Anyone know if there would be any noticeable uptick in performance by switching to one of these newer generation CPUs from my old i5-2500K OCed to 4.5?  I often wonder if I'm missing out on better performance, but have never found a satisfying answer worth gambling several hundred on upgrades for....  Is the 4.5GHz the bottom line, or are there other considerations that would make a tangible difference??

I just switched to my build (in my sig) a couple months ago, coming from a i7-2600k @4.5ghz.  There is a noticeable improvement, probably 5-10fps if I recall, depending on area.  And, barring OOMs, I can have higher settings.

Whether it's worth it or not, are you happy with what you have now?  If so, stick with it and save yourself hours and hours of reinstalling, haha.

-stefan

Edit: There was a huge leap with Sandy Bridge - i.e. my old 2600k and your 2500k.  They were WAY better for FSX than the previous CPU that the OP had (and that I had before my 2600k.)  So he's seeing a bigger difference than you'd likely see.  You'll still have a pretty reasonable improvement though.

Archived