Curiosity kicking in....

elmucki

i was reading a recent post about what the unified.dll or whatever will do and found a explanation of what Global/Vector/Regions and all that do. For the most part i knew all that but i thought of an interesting question.

Why is ORBX creating everything in small stages? By that i mean this. They released Global, Vector, Open LC, Terrain Regions and so forth all separate. Would it not have been simpler to create regions in way where there weren't multiple packages to buy and install? Let me clarify. For example, A user buys Global, can install Vector, and then regions. Why not just offer regions fully loaded? For example, Release Australia as one package (global, lc, region textures and so on). The only reason i ask is because if i understood things right, each add on adds more in depthness one way or another. So what i am trying to get to is why not just put out regions which are fully loaded (minus your airports of course). Would that not be simpler and easier? True, some regions are large, like the USA, but that cant be the only reason for breaking things down like this? or is it?

Again, this is just curiosity.

Thanks,

Mike

What Bruce said.

Gobal is designed to enhance the world outside the regions (or the whole world if you don't have any regions).  Global significantly enhances the world beyond the default FSX, whereas the full-fat regions are self-contained and even more detailed.  The only way to enhance a region is to add payware (or freeware) airports.  Each region includes a fair amount of laborious hand-crafting, so it'll necessarily only be a limited area.

The different parts of Global allow for budgeting; while having all layers is best, having Global base alone is much better than none.

34 minutes ago, elmucki said:

again not what i asked at all. My question was why not release a region fully loaded versus having all these different products do different things? 

Ah, a region is already "fully loaded" with maximum ORBX detail, except for optional addon HQ airports.  Installing Global does nothing to a region, as it only affects the world outside the installed regions.  Global is designed to be used for the bulk of the world that isn't (yet :)) covered by the regions.  This is all explained in the document linked above by Stefan.

If you're wondering why regions don't include the optional payware airports, it's because they're optional - not everyone will want them, and may be happy to use the enhanced versions already included in the region.

The regions *are* fully loaded.  Every answer so far has answered your question with that information.  All the non-region products are either 1.) airports or 2.) stuff for places that aren't regions that you have installed.  FTX Global contains information for all the regions, but it's not as high of detail.  Once you install a region, it completely overrides anything FTX Global.

-stefan

On 5/27/2016 at 6:46 PM, elmucki said:

i thought of an interesting question.

For example, Release Australia as one package (global, lc, region textures and so on).

Mike

Australia was the first region to be released containing all the elements you described.

Since then, all the additional regions have contained all the elements you described.

Global products are there to similarly enhance the rest of the world until further regions

are created.

If you mean that regions should be continental like Australia instead of by country or area

of North America, the sheer volume of work involved precludes this.

I mean this, Lets say openLC NA comes out for the USA. and i have terrain regions for the USA. Why break it down into smaller regions? my question was simply why not make it like AU where its the entire main area. But nick answered it. Everyone else, 2nd and 3rd place.

2 hours ago, elmucki said:

I mean this, Lets say openLC NA comes out for the USA. and i have terrain regions for the USA. Why break it down into smaller regions? my question was simply why not make it like AU where its the entire main area. But nick answered it. Everyone else, 2nd and 3rd place.

Australia was originally built in parts too. After all regions were done, ORBX decided to release it as one product if I'm correct.

Archived