Lost FTX 2 icon after a freeze

Jack Sawyer

I was making a flight in the Q400 from KBOS to KDCA.

ORBX FTX Central set to Global.

I was 150 miles away from BAL waypoint when I turned on Track IR and everything froze.

I still had sound.

Mouse inop.

All Saitek buttons inop.

All keyboard inop including ESC.

All I had was CTRL ALT DEL

So I did that and Process Explorer showed FSX not responding.

So I shut it down.

Then I shut down ASN and the Saitek stuff.

Then I rebooted and when I did my FTX Central desktop icon was not the same, it was just a generic icon.

I could still bring up the FTX Central 2 but the icon was changed.

So I rebooted and the same.

If I go to  Start and ORBX the icon is the same generic one.

In that folder I saw a Registry Repair Tool so I ran it and all I could see available to me was to change the location of the sim.

I was monitoring VAS and I looked at the FSUIPC log file and there were no errors and I had plenty of VAS left.

I think it was triggered by me turning on Track IR.

Any ideas?

This has never happened before.

Hi,

I lost that Icon, too, some time ago - and even without a freeze. I was able to regain it somehow (making a new link?). I now lost the Vector and the FTX LIghts Icons, though.

Not a big deal, but would be nice if Ben or whoever responsible could investigate this.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael 

10 hours ago, pmb said:

Not a big deal, but would be nice if Ben or whoever responsible could investigate this.

I've looked into this a lot, but it's a weird issue with Windows. It only occurs when you have the "put region name on desktop icon" setting checked.

It shouldn't be a problem in future versions of FTX Central though as most of the region switching code will be removed in preparation for the unified lclookup.

24 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

I've looked into this a lot, but it's a weird issue with Windows. It only occurs when you have the "put region name on desktop icon" setting checked.

It shouldn't be a problem in future versions of FTX Central though as most of the region switching code will be removed in preparation for the unified lclookup.

Um, yeah, Ben, what you said.  LOL!  It's all gibberish to me.  I just fly, I have no idea what a unified lclookup is.  Or even where to find those settings in Windows 7 64.

But thanks for taking care of it.

I know you're working on a new Central but this is so bizarre because my stupid logical mind can't understand why as there's no rhyme or reason.

Two days ago I made several flights in ORBX's England.  All was well.

Then yesterday when I turned on the PC, without changing or adding or tweaking or touching ANYTHING since I last turned it off I lost the icon texture again.

How in the world does this happen overnight with a PC that's turned off and it was there when I turned it off?

Sorry, just irked.

Best regards, Jack

Thanks Friedi but since I use absolutely ZERO AV on my PC which is just for FSX and not even mail or surfing I don't know how to scan it for viruses.  I use a Mac for everything else in life and it has Intego but I'm not sure if it'll scan a PC exe.

I might try it but then again will this conflict with ORBX's new FTX Central?

But believe me, I really do appreciate your help and consideration in posting this.  I am very grateful to the ORBX community who have helped me out many times.  I think this is the best forum in the FSX world, bar none!

Best regards,

Jack

39 minutes ago, Friedi Gulder said:

Jack, this is only a Windows problem.

Cheers. Friedi.

Yes, I know that.

I have a Jetline PC that is just for FSX.

And I have the icon problem.

I was trying to say I use my Mac for everything else in life BUT FSX.

I can easily run your program on my PC but since it has no anti-virus on it I can't be sure it's not infected with a virus, I'm sure it isn't but a person can never be too sure nowadays.

Archived