An official thread about OOM, VAS usage and CTD

Benny

I know there is a sticky in the Tips, Tricks & Techniques 

But it's already one year old since the last post.... I'm not the only one with many OOM lately, I know we had post and a few thread about OOM but I think that we need to put all those in a clear and easy to find section of the forum. With clear tip and solution. I know, we all have different system and stuff but I don't even know witch slider to move left... load radius stuff and so on.

I just read that:

https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/

Part of it:

So what does it mean? FSX has 4GB of VAS to work with. Everything you load into FSX, basically loads into VAS. Be that an aircraft textures, airport scenery, tree texture, whatever you install and run, is going to have its place in VAS. Since we do have a limited space of 4000MB, we have to have concerns when this space is going to fill up. All those nice airport sceneries, HD aircraft textures, they take a very heavy impact on the VAS when loaded.

Meaning we are doomed with FSX.

I never had, Or at least I don't remember having one before Friday Harbor was release, now some in SoCal, none in Meigs but 3 in  ENNO and now, about 8 in ESSA (wile filming of course)

I know there is no miracle for that problem but I guess that with the year and technology going forward we will see them more and more. 

I constructive thread would be greatly appreciated. Yesterday night I really had it to the point that I shut the computer down, I'm not having fun anymore.

Thank you VERY mutch

Ben

error.jpg

Hi Benny

Can I like Chunk recommend a Scenery Configurator editor

Only load the airports and region required for the particular flight

Always Defrag at the end of every session

Some planes and airports are worse/more demanding than others

Move to P3D v3.1 where currently all scenery and airports can remain loaded at all times cos P3D seems manage memory better and only engages scenery and airports as you use them.

xxd09

14 minutes ago, xxd09 said:

Hi Benny

Can I like Chunk recommend a Scenery Configurator editor

Only load the airports and region required for the particular flight

Always Defrag at the end of every session

Some planes and airports are worse/more demanding than others

Move to P3D v3.1 where currently all scenery and airports can remain loaded at all times cos P3D seems manage memory better and only engages scenery and airports as you use them.

xxd09

FSX "only engages scenery and airports as you use them" as well, so that's not why P3D has the advantage.  It's how the program is able to manage its memory allotment/VAS that gives it the advantage over FSX.

Good suggestions, I may need to do this as my favorite PNW haunts (Friday Harbor etc) are becoming no fly zones.  Just took a Carenado A36 to Victoria, landed, took off again and on the way back approaching FHR boom! An OOM error.

That had never happened before without a trip up to Vancouver.

What is weird is that earlier today I flew from LAX in SCal with AI airliners galore, flew to not one but two other LA busy airports and back to LAX without stopping and NO OOMs.   I dont get it...the San Juan Islands are gorgeous, but now that I've installed Global and Canadian LC methinks I'll either enjoy exploring my regions in less VAS intensive areas or come home to the Midwest or Canada or other non-San Juan areas and enjoy flying here OOM free (I hope).

I have FSX-SE, but would switch to P3D 3.1 if I knew it actually solved OOM completely.

42 minutes ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Good suggestions, I may need to do this as my favorite PNW haunts (Friday Harbor etc) are becoming no fly zones.  Just took a Carenado A36 to Victoria, landed, took off again and on the way back approaching FHR boom! An OOM error.

That had never happened before without a trip up to Vancouver.

What is weird is that earlier today I flew from LAX in SCal with AI airliners galore, flew to not one but two other LA busy airports and back to LAX without stopping and NO OOMs.   I dont get it...the San Juan Islands are gorgeous, but now that I've installed Global and Canadian LC methinks I'll either enjoy exploring my regions in less VAS intensive areas or come home to the Midwest or Canada or other non-San Juan areas and enjoy flying here OOM free (I hope).

I have FSX-SE, but would switch to P3D 3.1 if I knew it actually solved OOM completely.

So it appears, under certain circumstances, even FSX-SE doesn't handle VAS usage efficiently.  P3Dv3.1 is supposed to be much better, but I've read reports that even that sim might have problems in certain intensive areas.  Obviously, there's no silver bullet for everyone.  Some folks don't have problems, so do.

22 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

So it appears, under certain circumstances, even FSX-SE doesn't handle VAS usage efficiently.  P3Dv3.1 is supposed to be much better, but I've read reports that even that sim might have problems in certain intensive areas.  Obviously, there's no silver bullet for everyone.  Some folks don't have problems, so do.

Agreed.  BTW thanks again for that testing you did on Global LC for me last week, Stewart - I'm so glad I sprung for it and the Canadian LC - loving both immensely!

45 minutes ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Agreed.  BTW thanks again for that testing you did on Global LC for me last week, Stewart - I'm so glad I sprung for it and the Canadian LC - loving both immensely!

You're welcome.  Whatever I can do to help out.  The Canadian LC certainly helps out your neck of the woods up into Canada.  I thought it was a great improvement, too.

So you never OOM issues before, and now you do.  This means we now need an official thread? 

What is wrong with the other threads started here almost daily about this same subject?  I have read through damn near every one of them, as I am also searching for answers.  And I haven't found anything chiseled into stone.  No prophets named Nick or Kostya.  Just a lot of conjecture.  This thread will be no different, I promise you that.

The only answer is a LOT of testing -- so much testing in fact, that there is really little time to fly for enjoyment, only for the purposes of collecting data and logging your findings.

7 hours ago, Ripcord said:

So you never OOM issues before, and now you do.  This means we now need an official thread? 

What is wrong with the other threads started here almost daily about this same subject?  I have read through damn near every one of them, as I am also searching for answers.  And I haven't found anything chiseled into stone.  No prophets named Nick or Kostya.  Just a lot of conjecture.  This thread will be no different, I promise you that.

The only answer is a LOT of testing -- so much testing in fact, that there is really little time to fly for enjoyment, only for the purposes of collecting data and logging your findings.

What I'm saying is to regroup them somewhere..  as strange as it may sound, When I type OOM in the search box I get nothing.

I could not find the other OOM treads.

On top, like stated above, I never had OOM before... so something must be different lately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To others, let's see If I get this right:

I was flying over ESSA with Global, nowhere else. BUT, I END the flight (not EXIT), change airplane about 4 time and I'm running ASN and Bandicam.

My question: ENDING a flight: does it CLEAR ANY MEMORIES???? Do I really need to EXIT FSX to clear VAS usage???

Yesterday late night I reopen the rig, put Global and went to Palm Spring for 1.5 hours and all was fine using 2 airplane that are pretty easy on FPS, the Q400 and the BAE-146.

P3D: I don't think I have the rig to run it. If yes tell me so. And if so, can it be installed on another drive?

What is bugging me is my rig was quite stable before. I mean really stable.

Many thanks, Ben

Hard to know the root cause with recent OOM errors. I too never had them up until the past month or so. The things I can think of that have changed or have been added is ASN has had several updates and I have added Southern cal. I cant say for certain that one or the other is the cause yet but I am also trying to figure out why my over performance has taken a slight dive recently. I have also been going though the process of reevaluating my settings and testing to see if I can rule something in or out.

Nothing is 'official' here until a staff member makes it so.

A Nick has pointed out there are 231 topics about OOMs etc already on these forums so I don't see the need for any central topic about a common problem that a minority are suffering from.

If you want to reduce the occurrence of OOMs it's fairly basic using a simple process of elimination.

1. Stop all Windows programs not required to sim, including Antivirus apps

2. Disable any apps that FSX/P3D are using such as ASN, other weather, camera addons etc

3. Choose the Trike ultralight and create a NEW flight in a high VAS area.

4. Reduce the sliders to minimums, especially cloud distance and AI traffic

5. Begin flying and slowly move sliders to the right

6. Continue to fly using the trike, moving sliders until you are happy with your visuals. Save your flight path so you can repeat it over and over.

This setup should avoid OOMs and keep VAS usage below the limit. Call this your 'Baseline' setup and flight.

7. Now move to the C172, perhaps with G1000 active, do the flight again.

8. Now add your weather app, do the same flight

9. If still no OOMs, repeat 7 with ever more complex aircraft, with and without active weather

Eventually you will find out which addon aircraft or app is exhausting VAS and you've found the limits of your PC's capabilities.

A few more tips:

- If you're using FSX, *don't* use 2048 textures or HD clouds anywhere. There is a good reason MS restricted textures to 1024 and clouds to 256/512.

- Flying the NGX into a heavy scenery region and a heavy airport with a bunch of weather and other apps active and traffic sliders over 15% is just inviting trouble in FSX, it's just common sense really.

- Don't use more than 2.0 water shaders in FSX

Archived