Meigs Field - Ground Texture Glitches

OMGEDSON

Lots of flickering in the parking area, near the rocks, and at the end of the runways. Looks like the textures are battling FTX Global textures underneath.

No US Cities Chicago installed and I've run the vector config tool...

FSS0455035

YWKEIR6.gif

Hi,

Great shot showing the issue, looks like an elevation clash, which simulator are you using?

As Alex is probably sleeping right now (about 3am there) I'll get the ball rolling on this:

- Is it possible you have another APX active (from a 3rd party airport or AI traffic program), try running a file search of the main simulator folder for KCGX and note anything outside of the Orbx folder

- Check terrain mesh slider is set at 5m

- Also as a side-note, if you have FTX-Vector and use the frozen lake option, there is another frozen version of the photoreal which will match the frozen water seen in the top-right of your shot

1 hour ago, Tim Harris said:

Hi PNW User, you already posted your issue here

Please continue there in your own thread, thanks!

Tim, I was also responding here, that I also have runway and airport flickering textures. I did not target that glitch, on my whole downtown core winking in and out.  Yes, I'll keep my responses, and hopefully, a fix for the building vanishing, on my own started thread. No problems.

Thanks,

50 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

P3D?

Yep, P3D V3.1,  no run of Vector Config-Tool and mesh on 5m.

I have tested all mesh settings from 20m down to 1m and the texture settings from 1m down to 15 cm but the problem persists in all settings (on my system).

This is a known issue with P3D native ground polygons.

The FSX version uses FS2002-style ground polygons which are officially deprecated as of P3Dv3. As such I chose to go the native route for Meigs.

I noticed the ground polygon tends to flicker upon first load for a second and then if any scenery settings are changed or the scenery library reloaded it will also flicker. As of yet I am not sure if there is a workaround to this. If I can find one, I will patch it in, otherwise this may be a quirk of native P3D ground polygons that can't be fixed. 

The best solution I can offer until then is to endure the initial flickers and after it "settles in" avoid changing scenery library sliders or reloading.

Question--would deleting the scenery index and facilities files (under ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\SceneryIndexes and Facilities) and the shader files (under AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\Shaders) make any difference with those flickers (which I have not yet experienced myself yet at Meigs)?  I myself routinely clear those files whenever updating scenery.cfg and so on.  To help ensure P3D loads fresh.

This is one of the first native P3D ground polygons in an Orbx product, the only other I am aware of is KSQL. With the older FS2002 style ones flickering never really occurs, but because they have been deprecated switching to the newer format was chosen, there were some issues with trying to use an FS2002 polygon in P3D. 

I am actively looking for a solution, one other area I forgot to ask earlier though, are you using any camera tweaks in P3D? They can sometimes have issues with z-bias settings and cause flickers. That may be why testers didn't find flickers.

@Alex Goff I can confirm that without EZDOK launched and using default p3d camera views, there is no flickering issue.  I beg you to please not ignore the importance of add-ons like EZDOK for virtual pilots...and hope we can get a fix soon. If there is anything I can assist with, please don't hesitate, we already work closely with ORBX.

*You mentioned KSQL being based on the same, i work literally across the st from there and eat lunch there weekly so I'm always flying out of San Carlos. Thankfully I've never seen this issue there using EZDOK.

Nice work Alex on narrowing down the cause. I have noticed a far amount of flickering using Avatar walking around scenery and will try and see if that fixes it having Ezdok disabled.  I can live without EzDok in Avatar mode and now knowing what might cause flickering will know what my options are in the future. I leased and plan on installing Meigs tonight and if I see that issue will know what is going on...hope not to see it as I dont at KSQL.

I'll keep looking for solutions for EZDOK users, it may be a simple matter of just adjusting the z-bias offsets to work with a broader range of camera settings. When it can be fixed a hotfix will be released via FTX Central.

These are the teething issues of new systems, but once those are worked out the fun bits like bump-mapped snow on the ground polygon can shine through ;)

For folks having issues with EZDOK enabled, could you check your camera.cfg (with EZDOK enabled) and search for "clipmode" and paste out the result? Also be sure you are using the latest EZDOK that was released for P3Dv3.

Doing some research it appears EZDOK's clipmode setting has been a source of flickers going back quite far.

If your flickering is limited to the ground polygon and persists for more than a few seconds after loading, could you paste out the contents of your camera.cfg file? The file should be in AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\cameras.cfg

I had the same flickering threshold and GA parking areas. I looked at my cameras.cfg and changed the ClipMode for each of the EZDOK cameras to =Normal. They were set to =Minimum. I've done a bunch of circuits and viewed the airfield from varying heights and the flickering has gone.

12 hours ago, Alex Goff said:

If your flickering is limited to the ground polygon and persists for more than a few seconds after loading, could you paste out the contents of your camera.cfg file? The file should be in AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\cameras.cfg

Hi, here you go (see attached file). Yes, it is, flickering is limited to the ground polygon and persists after loading.

Cheers,

Edward

cameras.cfg

Did edited cameras.cfg to clipmode=normal  and whoa, heck no.... its unusable for gopro style videography!   

No issues exist at the other airports using this tech, please lets not give up and keep working on a fix.

Screenshot_012316_123716_PM.jpg

Fixes are being worked on, I am traveling for family matters and cannot produce anything for testing until at least Tuesday.

I would continue to recommend not using clipmode=minimum as it is well documented to have the worst z-fighting of all camera views. Comparing to other airports is honestly, useless, because 99% use FS2002 style ground polygons that are not rendered in the same way.

Some tweaking has been done on the ground polygon, conforming it to the same standards as KSQL.

Navigate to /ORBX/FTX_NA/FTX_AA_KCGX/Scenery, back up "Orbx_KCGX_GP_P3D.bgl", and drop the included BGL in its place.

In my testing I've found that the P3D Avatar will create flickers almost everywhere, unless it uses an FS2002 style ground polygon. This holds true for KSQL and KCGX in the Orbx world at least. That's something I'll note with Lockheed Martin for further assistance or patching.

That aside, I am interested to hear how it works in regular aircraft but with EZDOK users or others affected.

Download:

Orbx_KCGX_GP_P3D.zip

On 1/28/2016 at 4:19 AM, Alex Goff said:

If it was set to .off that's OK, its just that the HW variant was enabled. Make sure only one is enabled at a time, I'll post up a fixed version of the HW one as well.

The more tests the merrier!

Haha that explains my return today to say hey with HW it was broken again ;P  Excellent thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Just to confirm I had the displaced threshold on Rwy18 completely messed up (almost only the photoreal background showing) and after the fix it is ok, but the overall flickering continues (much less now). Especially at the borders (near the water) and sometimes on the apron.

Hoping for a fix!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

same at blue canyon :( clipmod no fix it, but it's ok, i live with it from 2.5 version till now, so

6gFcZqD.jpg

this is f12 heght from no problems

D9Pz7St.jpg

btw, i never had any problems with meigs field, and ksql work perfect till couple a day ago i load it, and taxi parking marking gone by certain angle of view

Archived