Will Australia ever be developed for again?

Mac_Maddog88

Long story short, I was going to buy some Australian airports for the sale but decided not to because it doesn't seem like ORBX is really active with the region anymore. We're getting all these wonderful airports for NA but the last time an AU airport was released was over a year ago. Might have been Broome or Bathurst, I'm honestly not sure. I have Broome, and even though I don't currently have any AU stuff installed, it is what I see as ORBX's best airport. Most beautiful setting, best amount of details for the amazing performance, and maybe even some of the best quality. So if Broome is this great, why don't we have other AU airports this amazing? I love all the grungy, overgrown, tropical looking details, and with the innovations in scenery design and power of computers available today, ORBX could do so much with Australian airports. Look at Bathurst or Alice Springs, they're perfect examples. Rusty old hangars surrounded by overgrown grass and tropical foliage, just imagine how cool that would look today!

Another idea - We have sceneries like monument valley or Yosemite. Why not have large photoreal areas of the outback, or the snowy mountains available as scenery packs? There's a whole continent to work with!

Hi

If a developer spends the same amount of time and effort in making two airports, one in Australia and the other in the United States and sells three times more for his U S airport, where, if you were that developer, would your next project be.

These guys make airports as a way of earning a living and must at all times get their marketing right or they will not earn enough to make their effort worth while.

I would like more airports for my home, Scotland, but I accept that there is not enough of a market compared to other areas of the planet.

Kind regards

Ian

Hey Mac

OrbX has said that developping AU is a low priority for them but Australia, as it is now, is not bad at all with AU SP4 !  I dont have Broome (too far from everything) but half a dozen of others OrbX payware airports which are quite well crafted. And with the complement of the OzX freeware airports Australia is very well landclassed and populated with airports and PoI. You should try.  

What would at least be kinda cool to see is for ORBX to do a couple of airports around Broome one day. It is pretty damn far away from every other ORBX airport. Nice for those long hauls though!

3 hours ago, dominique said:

Hey Mac

OrbX has said that developping AU is a low priority for them but Australia, as it is now, is not bad at all with AU SP4 !  I dont have Broome (too far from everything) but half a dozen of others OrbX payware airports which are quite well crafted. And with the complement of the OzX freeware airports Australia is very well landclassed and populated with airports and PoI. You should try.  

Guess I'm gonna gave a go at reinstalling AU later when I'm done enjoying my new NA airports!

Even as an Australian, I can see the US as far more fertile ground for flight sim scenery development. Australia's apparent size is deceptive. With less than 1/10th the population of the US, Australia is mostly empty space. With so few people in vast areas of the country, the airfield coverage is mostly dirt and grass strips with very few support buildings for a majority of the country. By contrast, the number of airfields in the US with the kinds of structures and other features that make for an interesting add-on is vastly greater. That's not to say that there aren't any other Australian airports that Orbx developers couldn't work on were they to choose to do so, but just what's out there already is a bigger bite of the whole apple compared to just about anywhere else Orbx has products for, including the US.

In the grand scheme of things, Australia will probably be vastly over-represented with available Orbx scenery add-ons for the foreseeable future by almost any metric you care to measure. The best way to illustrate this is to compare it with Canada. They are roughly comparable countries in terms of area and population, and yet the number of Canadian airports to get full add-on treatment by Orbx is way below that of Australia. Heck, just my home town alone has more Orbx payware airports than all of Canada put together!

6 hours ago, dominique said:

Hey Mac

As Dominique said there is OZx, great for flying GA all over Australia. Check out their site as there is plenty of scenery, airports and liveries for flying down under.

http://aussiex.org/forum/

5 hours ago, Ian S said:

There you go Noel, this will keep you going till Orbx do

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/8269/fsx-lhasa-gonggar-airport-scenery/

Kind regards and a good new year to you. Hope the snow has now disappeared

Ian

I have this one Ian, a great airport within an area of spectacular scenery.

Have you been affected by the floods? Obviously quite a bit on the BBC world news I watch every midday while having lunch.

I have a pretty robust Orbx AU with all the Ozx stuff.  It stands pretty good as it is.

However, there is a business model component I think Orbx is missing.  Anyone want to calculate how long it would take Orbx to cover the world in "fat" regions and custom airports.  For instance I would love a bunch of South America and lower half of Africa.  P3D will be a thing of the past by that time, something better will have arrived.

I wonder on "completed" areas such as NZ and AU...if Orbx might consider a business model whereby they "sell" a right to use its technologies and libraries of objects to folks who have the ability to produce airports for these "completed" areas, and market under their own corporate name but legally bound to Orbx and the rights to use their technologies and objects.  There may be a vendor who could crank out all sorts of airports, at lower cost because they haven't had to develop all the stuff Orbx has.  Orbx takes a skim off their sales for their copyright material.  Obviously one would need to have some strong defensible contracts between the companies.

It sort of like all the freeware Global airports being put together by some folks using Orbx libraries but taken to a higher level.  Could even be Global airport packages for a particular country IE Venezuela.

I'm just trying to think out of the box on how the end game could be achieved.  Master scenery makers like Holger are not going to doing this forever.

Hello,

Sorry for flogging a dead horse, but I have mentioned before about Kickstarter. I can't remember the negative reasons for not using it. Maybe it takes to much effort to set up, I don't know.

So if its finance, surely a Developer could set up a campaign for a Australian Airport with a dollar figure to cover the design. If its funded - great.

Give the backers some reward.

Run a poll first for possible locations.

I don't know really how hard it would be and I really should quit mentioning it, but it could also work...

Allan

19 hours ago, dominique said:

OrbX has said that developping AU is a low priority for them...

If I remember correctly, what JV said last time this topic was brought up was that the country of Australia was largely uninhabited.  Given that, I would say that between ORBX and OZx, Australia has received more love than any ORBX region except for PNW.

2 hours ago, teecee said:

+1 Bruce.. and for those of you that are unhappy about Brisbane, take a look at Ant's version. Teecee.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=43519169

Teecee, that link didn't return a result for me, but I did find a whole bunch of freeware AU sceneries (including Brisbane) from Ant here: http://www.antsairplanes.com/scenery.html

On 1/1/2016 at 9:16 AM, Outrage said:

I have Broome, and even though I don't currently have any AU stuff installed, it is what I see as ORBX's best airport. Most beautiful setting, best amount of details for the amazing performance, and maybe even some of the best quality. So if Broome is this great, why don't we have other AU airports this amazing?

Both Broome and Cairns, developed by Jarrad, received significant updates about a year ago as part of the P3Dv2 port effort. Details here

Seriously, I've noticed other vendors recently releasing beautiful sceneries of high quality and complexity, so I'm glad Orbx is considering expansion plans.

On 1/1/2016 at 3:42 AM, Ian S said:

Hi

If a developer spends the same amount of time and effort in making two airports, one in Australia and the other in the United States and sells three times more for his U S airport, where, if you were that developer, would your next project be.

These guys make airports as a way of earning a living and must at all times get their marketing right or they will not earn enough to make their effort worth while.

I would like more airports for my home, Scotland, but I accept that there is not enough of a market compared to other areas of the planet.

Kind regards

Ian

Ok so I just want to pick a hole here, I have no evidence to base my opinion on its just my thinking, 

Why do a tiny bush strip in the middle of nowhere as a major project when you could do a major airport or cityscape that will undoubtedly outsell the bush strip?

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Why do a tiny bush strip in the middle of nowhere as a major project when you could do a major airport or cityscape that will undoubtedly outsell the bush strip?

Possible answers:

1.  Because that is ORBX's business model.  They are in the business of creating large(r) scenery areas than just a major airport area.  Then populating that larger area with multiple, more elaborate smaller airports.

2.  It takes a heck of a lot more time to create a KJFK than a smaller "municipal" or "bush" airport.  For every KJFK they would produce, they can create maybe 6 smaller airports.  Sell 6 smaller airports at $15 each for $90.  Anybody gonna pay $90 for one KJFK?  A KJFK would be a "major product".  A small bush strip somewhere is hardly "major" compared to creating a KJFK or KORD.  Any Cityscape that would do itself justice would be a major project that could take the same amount of time as creating at least a dozen smaller airports.  

3.  ORBX's history arose from the original VOZ/OZx concept.  Concentrate on making a larger scenery area populated with smaller airports.  They are still following that concept.  It's what they do.

4.  There are plenty of other developer companies that only produce large international-type airports.  ORBX does it's best to provide "fixes" so these airports will work with new ORBX scenery/region releases.  The "fixes" Holger released for the FSDT KLAS and other FSDT airports in the new NA SCA region are examples.

It's kinda like asking FSDT (a large airport developer) why they don't develop large scenery areas surrounding the large airports they make.  They don't do that because that's not their business model.  Plus, ORBX has said numerous times in the past that their scenery is designed to make use of more powerful computers in the future.  So it's not surprising to me that when they release something like NA SCA, then people try to "max out" every possible bit of scenery display with it, those people run into "display issues" even on some current, powerful computer systems.  Look at all the complaints about "complex aircraft" like the NGX "not working" with ORBX NA SCA.  Well...duh!  If someone can't run ORBX to begin with with all the scenery sliders maxed out, what makes them think they could max out all the scenery sliders, THEN also add a complex airplane like the NGX?  In the same vein, why would ORBX want to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing a large, very detailed product like NA SCA, followed by a "complex LARGE AIRPORT" that when installed would just INCREASE the "display issues" for someone where that mega-airport is located in the scenery?  ORBX strikes a good balance with their complex scenery areas and detailed smaller airports for them.  There are plenty of other companies that produce "major" airports.  But if someone buys one of them, then installs them into an ORBX "full fat" scenery region like NA SCA, it is not ORBX's problem if they experience "performance issues" with that airport or the ORBX product overall in that area.  ORBX would be crazy to develop a complex KLAX or KLAS for NA SCA, just like they would be crazy to develop a complex KSEA for NA PNW.

I suggested in another topic that I'd love to see more Small GA field bundles as well as the usual "Big Airport (plus maybe a small one nearby)". To help flesh out the spaces inbetween on the GPS that are littered with tiny fields. Perhaps Australia's proliferation of small dirt strips could be a good location for some packages like that.

Course, that is what the OZx fields do as well, and there are a lot of them...and their popularity might be indicators that lots of people like that sort of thing as well.

Toss a shrimpy field package on a the barby-que mates!

It also might be a way to add to existing poor coverage areas, like for our friends in the Boone's of Scotland, and similar... or to start populating and attracting interest to areas that have Zero coverage right now...Mexico/Central America jumps to mind as a perfect spot to put in a bunch of fairly accurate "Bush Fields" packages...for those of us that wish to simulate drug running, weapons supply hauling, cartel operations...hehehe...I mean Adventure Tourism... :D

Anyhow...Cheers

Keep up the awesome work whichever way your attentions fly.

12 hours ago, John Venema said:

Orbx will be looking at expansion plans in 2016 which may allow some more focus on Australian projects.

Now that really does sound like a quote from "Yes, Prime Minister" - Lol !!!

17 hours ago, John Venema said:

Orbx will be looking at expansion plans in 2016 which may allow some more focus on Australian projects.

Fantastic news. I was beginning to think we (Australia) would be left as is but this is wonderful to hear.

Archived