NM Blizzard

ojiito

• It's not pretty Alex.  It's hard to tell how much snow actually fell due to the wind drifts.  The stone wall around the front of the house has 5 inches.  My back yard lawn shows 14 inches.  It's still snowing and is forecast to last into this evening.  It's going to be quite cold so the snow won't go away soon unless the air gets very dry and it sublimates.  This is not what I moved to the desert for.  A good time to do some flight simming.

Here's what the Nationla Weather Service predicts for the rest of the week.

Blizzard Warning until December 28, 12:00am

NOW until
    12:00am Mon

sn.png

Blizzard Warning

• Today

Today: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times.  Areas of blowing snow. High near 28. Windy, with a north wind 20 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Heavy Snow
    and Areas
    Blowing Snow

High: 28 °F

• Tonight

Tonight: Snow likely, mainly before 11pm.  Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 14. North wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.  Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Snow Likely

Low: 14 °F

• Monday

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 34. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.

Sunny

High: 34 °F

• Monday
    Night

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 15. Southwest wind around 5 mph.

Partly Cloudy

Low: 15 °F

• Tuesday

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. West wind around 5 mph becoming southeast in the morning.

Mostly Sunny

High: 36 °F

• Tuesday
    Night

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 14.

Mostly Clear

Low: 14 °F

• Wednesday

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 36.

Sunny

High: 36 °F

• Wednesday
    Night

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 12.

Mostly Clear

Low: 12 °F

Noel

Wow, yeah those look like pretty unusual Roswell temps.  I am overseas so do not get to participate this time around.  But yes, sounds like flightsimming weather.  Good luck, hope you stay warm and safe with no major problems.  

Watch the CBS news most lunchtimes here and they had Roswell and the snow in one segment. Looked out for Noel's house but did not see it.

All about the weather today with the awful tornadoes, the snow, the unseasonal mild weather with  the floods in England and South America..

Hope you all get through this ok.

El Nino does it again.

We left Jackson Hole after 10 years because of the long cold, snowy winters. Here in Boone, NC, it's been most unusual with temps in the upper 60's for over a week and a bit of rain. I'm told that back in '93 there was a similar Christmas weather pattern followed by a blizzard in March that closed schools and pretty much everything else for over a week. Mother Nature will have her way.

Noel, please be safe and warm. Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

~Michael

We have a four foot drift on our front walk and our carport is snowed in.  But luckily a guy knocked on my  door this morning and offered to shovel the driveway and the walk from the front door to the mailbox.  That's a lot of snow to remove.  He said he'd do it for 20 bucks but I know how much work it is so I'm going to give him 40.

Meanwhile National Weather Service got it right on the blizzard but blew it on the temperatures.  They said our high today would be 28 degrees.  It's already 36.  Our weather forecasting has sucked ever since they closed to local weather stations and  forecasters and turned the job over to computers.

Noel

Meanwhile, relatives reporting 70 degrees in New Jersey on Christmas, and wildfire in California...

Yes forecasting is mostly just models now, and modifying certain local areas for known patterns.  Much interpolation.  I miss all the Flight Service Stations the most.  

I would have paid that guy the same, 20$ is not enough for shoveling a decent sized driveway.   Hang in there..

IT'S SNOWING AGAIN!   Last night the temperature got down to 10F.   Now new snow on top of the 14 inches I already have in the back yard and the drifts n the front.  No garbage collection or mail delivery.  This is supposed to be the desert.  Maybe I should move to Fairbanks.

Noel

We have had so far one of the warmest winters since they began recording temperatures, one hundred years or so ago. It's crazy, the flowers bloom, the birds chirp like in the Spring (and the cats go and chase them). I wish we had a colder winter ;). But there is an old French saying : "Noël au balcon, Pâques aux tisons"  meaning a warm Xmas is followed by a frigid Easter... 

We have a similar saying but perhaps being a little further north,

Ne'er cast a clout 'till May is out.

('never discard your [warm winter] clothing until the month of May is ended')

At the moment we have winter temperatures of +10 c to +15 c, it should be

-2 c to 6 c.

We have spring blossom starting to show on some trees and the grass needs cutting,

since it has never stopped growing.

A friend of mine who lives in the south west of England has had daffodils flowering

in his garden for three weeks. They should flower in March. 

Set against that, between 1030 on Christmas Day and 1030 the next day, we had

one month's rain.

On 29.12.2015 at 8:12 PM, Ian S said:

Try moving to Scotland. We are told to expect 120cm of rain overnight with 60/70 miles per hour winds

Stay warm

Kind regards

Ian

120 cm  in one night? That's impossible! I guess you mean 120 mm.

Anyway, good luck for you and your loved ones.

We got 120mm of rain, just as predicted and the town is once more badly flooded around the river. I have lived here for 30 years now and throughout that time the local authority has been debating what to do about it. They are at present contemplating some sort of a barrier between the town and the river but who knows when this will be built.

Thankfully I live about two miles from the river and so far my property is not affected. I do feel for those that are though.

Thanks for all your concerns and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Kind regards

Ian

The snow isn't going to leave this part of the desert anytime soon.  Took these pictures in my front yard about an hour ago...ten days after the blizzard.

Cities like Denver and Buffalo have the means to deal with snow situations.  They have the equipment for it.  But Roswell doesn't even have one snow plow.  It takes a long time to clear roads with road graders and front loaders.

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_05836c971.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Noel

5 hours ago, birdguy said:

The snow isn't going to leave this part of the desert anytime soon.  Took these pictures in my front yard about an hour ago...ten days after the blizzard.

Cities like Denver and Buffalo have the means to deal with snow situations.  They have the equipment for it.  But Roswell doesn't even have one snow plow.  It takes a long time to clear roads with road graders and front loaders.

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_05836c971.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Noel

With an average low for Jan of 26F and an average snowfall of 3.5 inches I'm surprised they have zero snow removal equipment. Besides front end loaders and graders are commonplace for snow removal in the snow belt. Most cities simply have blade attachments under their gravel trucks for snow removal.Grader.jpg

I've lived here for 21 years DoubleJ and the largest snowfall we've had was about 5 inches.  Normally we get an inch or two and it's gone in a couple of days.  While it gets cold the climate is arid and we get most of our annual precipitation during the summer from thunderstorms.  It's not cost effective for the city to store snowplow blades for a once in a decade use.

Noel

Archived