Out of Memory Southern California

lc_carmona

Hello.

I wanted to see if anyone could assist me I have started to get OOM´s in the new Southern California from Orbx . I loaded in my FSDT KLAX and after a few seconds . OOM. If anyone could assist me on this one I would certainly appreciate it. Lowered the Memory still no luck. Hope to find a solution soon.

Best.

Luis Carlos

Hello Luis, same situation here. I try to explain. I've performed a flight to KLAX with NGX, ASNext on Vatsim (with controller and network traffic). KLAX was the airport by FSdreamteam.

During the approach phases, I've noted an increase of the VAS, from 2.9Ghz to 3.4Ghz, and the simulator performed micro strutters as usual because (let me say) unlocked the scenery from the addon manager. During the last phases til the Touchdown and gate taxi my VAS reached 3.8 and it was really really near to crash. I've a powerful PC, but these crash (according also to my past experience) was caused by FSdreamteam KLAX. In order to confirm my theory I've uninstalled KLAX and I tried a flight to KLAX with ORBX South California default KLAX.

All was smooth as silk, and the VAS maximum usage during final was 3.2 Ghz. I should admit that ORBX performed (as usual) an excellent work with default airports. KLAX texture sorroundings and terminal are amazing (simple but amazing!!)

So my suggestion is to remove FSDT KLAX. I know it's a pity cause it's amazing airport, but enjoying ORBX south California (including LAX area) is more than amazing, and honestly speaking you can't renounce to a focus airport as Los Angeles international is.

Cheers

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

After installing SOCAL I was flying around in the Milviz Phantom and got my fist OOM ever in FSX.

I have 737PMDG and all the stuff.

I flew from Ontario International down towards Laguna and over to see if KSNA LVFR would display properly after moving in to the top of the list above the ORBXS stuff and before I got there I got my first ever OOM.

I also still have the problem of not being able to load KSAN, it hangs at 76%, I will try the suggested fixes.

Its big its beautiful I just need to find a way to use it or I will uninstall it.

I wonder if you can just use it for Las Vegas and the desert and some how take away SOCAL since it just so big.

I have a 4790 at 4.5 and 16MBof fast Mem plus a GTX760 2 Gig memory and it runs everything else great.

That happened to me too.  Along with low frame rates and lots of stutters.  I tried to fly a GPS flight plan from Santa Barbara to Palm Springs at 4,000ft in my Lionheart Kodiak.

So I decided to purge and rebuild my system.  After uninstalling and deleting everything I reinstalled FSX, NCA and SCA and set up FSX exactly according to Orbx's recommendations.  No other addons.  No addon weather or traffic.  No Global.  No Vector.  No addon mesh.  Default weather set to clear with just a few clouds.

I tried the flight again and it ran mostly smooth as silk.  I had a few momentary skips and twice I got a jagged segment of terrain turn black but only for a couple of seconds.  The average frame rate for the entire trip was between 40 and 60.  The worse skips were over the hills between the LA Basin and Banning.  The lowest framerate was abeam Van Nuys Airport.  It dropped to 29. 

It was like moving from an eighteen wheeler to a Miata.

Tomorrow I am going to add the other NA FTX areas and test the route after each install.  Then I will start adding the NA Orbx airports and Orbx traffic.

I'm no expert here but having all the available Orbx scenery installed along with My Traffic and AS Next just might be too much for the system:

Azus MB

i7-4790K@4GHZ

16M RAM

NVidia GeForce GTX 970

Windows 7 Pro 64bit 

If all goes well after having all of FTX North America installed I just might leave well enough alone at that.

Noel 

After installing all of the rest of the NA FTX regions plus FSAddon's Tongass Fjords I reprised my KSBA-KPSP flight and found the same performance I got yesterday.

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was that I shut down and restart my computer before making any long duration (30 minutes or longer) flights.

Noel

• 3 weeks later...

I to am having memory errors when approaching KLAX. I was flying from KLAS to KLAX and all was fine until about a 10 mile final. On one flight FSX crashed. On the other KLAX flight I just got the dialog boxes.

Other portions of NA SCA are ok. Also I did a departure out of KLAX to KMRY and there were no issues.

I have a powerful system that is overclocked and sliders are set per ORBX for a high end system. I have no other scenery except ORBX products.

All other ORBX regions function normally and I have all of them.

Thanks

Don

Order Number: FSS0441751

The LA basin is a system hog for everyone i think, even those with super CPUs and GPUs. I notice you say you have set your ai traffic as per the orbx recommendations. To me that setting is so variable and totally dependent on what Traffic you are using. If you are using 3rd party traffic programme (MT6/UT etc) or just the default traffic programme or if you also have the orbx traffic enabled as well. Remember that the LA Basin must have dozens of airports and AFBs within the radius of which traffic programmes become active and start to process flights.

i suggest setting your ai (airlines) at 2% and see what traffic you get. Then try 2% ai and 5% GA and see the amount of traffic that is generated. Remember that the flights are generated hundreds of miles from where you are located. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having horrible performance with ngx 737 when approaching KLAX ILS 24L or R.  I know this area has tons of autogen but my settings are normal autogen and dense trees and lod is at 4.5 - everything else is default pretty much.  I don't have road traffic and only Mytraffic 6 with traffic set to 20 (ga and commercial and no airport vehicles).

I do not have FSDT KLAX - just using Orbx FTX SCA KLAX

It is exact as it is mentioned in the user guide (I don't even have road traffic)

My system is top notch 4.3ghz i7-5820K, 2xGTX 980 in SLI and the frames go into single digits when on glidescope to KLAX.  What is going on with this area?

This is a huge area, I just can't ignore it; devs any ideas on how to improve this area performance and VAS just starts creeping up like crazy in this area in P3Dv3.1

Please advise

You guys seem to forget that OOM's don't care how powerful your PC is. The SoCal area with FTX and the numerous addon airports and AI etc etc is probably one of the most demanding areas on the planet to your sim. It all comes down to your settings and addons. Turn some down and turn some off and see how it goes.

51 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

You guys seem to forget that OOM's don't care how powerful your PC is. The SoCal area with FTX and the numerous addon airports and AI etc etc is probably one of the most demanding areas on the planet to your sim. It all comes down to your settings and addons. Turn some down and turn some off and see how it goes.

I am using the settings as described in the User Guide infact even less.  There is something very strange happening in this area.  I can do PNW KSEA with FSDT CYVR on top of it area better than KLAX area.  The VAS is being sucked like there is a black hole present and it is very rapid consumption of resources and there is no freeing up any resources.  It is consuming to the point of Zero free resources.  I am going to try with no AI and see what happens.  Something is not right here.

To me it sounds it could be related to this thread at prepar3d.com forums regarding Objects.  There is a bug which is resolved by the Team, but is not in 3.1

Can the Devs please check this thread and see if the solution or issue also relates to objects in the KLAX area. 

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=116596

Please advise Devs.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Republic DC-9 said:

What was the culprit?   I'm keenly interested...

It sure was AI.  I have to use AI traffic Manager freeware app (it is on avsim) to control the VAS but I may have found another undocumented tweak on p3dv3.1.

I really have to bring the level of AI down to near 0 if landing near or at KLAX.  The app allows me to remove traffic from all other airports and leave some only in KLAX which happens to be my destination.

Stay tuned

I, too, just had my first real OOM (one that I intentionally didn't try to cause). Flying from MRY to LAX with the PMDG 737 NGX. All was fine up to about 18 miles from LAX approaching from ONT. But then things started to go downhill very fast. The VAS used increased rapidly and the OOM occurred 5 miles later. SCA is now uninstalled.

Doug

12 minutes ago, Triplane said:

I, too, just had my first real OOM (one that I intentionally didn't try to cause). Flying from MRY to LAX with the PMDG 737 NGX. All was fine up to about 18 miles from LAX approaching from ONT. But then things started to go downhill very fast. The VAS used increased rapidly and the OOM occurred 5 miles later. SCA is now uninstalled.

Doug

Doug,  So you purchased SCA only with the intention of flying jetliners into and out of the Los Angeles/Long Beach basin?

51 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Doug,  So you purchased SCA only with the intention of flying jetliners into and out of the Los Angeles/Long Beach basin?

Nope. I bought it because I have all the other ORBX regions and just wanted to keep the collection "complete". That said, I was born in Pasadena and lived for many years in Monterey. I'm probably as familiar with California as most folks (or maybe more so). And, I'm not impressed with SCA. If I want to fly VFR somewhere there are FAR more interesting places than SoCal. So here's the deal, in spite of my "complete" collection desire, if I can't fly tubeliners into KLAX I have no use for the scenery. SSD disc space isn't unlimited. I've uninstalled lots of stuff over years past and SCA is just another one.

Doug

2 hours ago, Triplane said:

Nope. I bought it because I have all the other ORBX regions and just wanted to keep the collection "complete". That said, I was born in Pasadena and lived for many years in Monterey. I'm probably as familiar with California as most folks (or maybe more so). And, I'm not impressed with SCA. If I want to fly VFR somewhere there are FAR more interesting places than SoCal. So here's the deal, in spite of my "complete" collection desire, if I can't fly tubeliners into KLAX I have no use for the scenery. SSD disc space isn't unlimited. I've uninstalled lots of stuff over years past and SCA is just another one.

Doug

Fair enough.  But I'm afraid you have missed some of the interesting places in SoCal which are VFR flyable with non-tubeliners.  Over at AVSIM, a group of 7-8 of us just spent the last three Saturdays doing just that.  But to each his own, I guess.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, frostlp said:

Pardon my being glib, but I thought the title of this post was rather funny seeing that cannabis has been legalized in California.

I think for medicinal purposes only, though.  To my knowledge, there are no shops which distribute mj for recreational use.  Some cities have even banned the sale of cannabis except in certain areas of their city.  The state has pretty much left it up to the cities to decide where and how they will allow the sale of cannabis.

Just a short testimony here.

PC quadcore 3,4 GHz, Windows 7 64, All sliders at 80-90 %, traffic at 14.

Framerates from KSAN Latin vfr to KLAX FSDT at 18-30 average during the flight

Approaching KLAX is hitting hard my FPS but still maintaining 13-16 Fps (i am flying the NGX)

I deactivated Active Sky Next for this flight because polygons clouds appeared... (and i am upset about all their updates)

Orbx Southcal is really not so bad after all and i did not optimize the region in FTX Central yet.

for what it worths !

Dom Mason

Archived