North American region & openLC North America - Alaska/Canada

OldAirmail

I just bought Pacific FjordsNA Blue Southern Alaska (Order #FSS0435267), and what had seemed like an oddity before, now seems counterintuitive.

To use openLC North America - Alaska/Canada, with either of the above, I'd have to save the flight, exit the sim, switch to Global, restart the sim, reload the flight.

These areas are contiguous, unlike the UK - EU scenery.

Would it possible to move openLC North America - Alaska/Canada to the North American region?

1450693259.jpg

From there to here.

1450706464.jpg

Set FTX Central to Global and make sure hybrid mode is selected (an X placed in the check box). This way you will get your North American regions and OpenLC NA running for the appropriate areas. The regions will have priority over Global where you have them, but for everywhere else you'll get your Global layers (Base+Vector, and OpenLC where applicable). No need to exit the sim and switch things in FTX Central.

1 hour ago, paralipsis said:

Set FTX Central to Global and make sure hybrid mode is selected (an X placed in the check box). This way you will get your North American regions and OpenLC NA running for the appropriate areas. The regions will have priority over Global where you have them, but for everywhere else you'll get your Global layers (Base+Vector, and OpenLC where applicable). No need to exit the sim and switch things in FTX Central.

As Nick stated above, OpenLC NA is active *all* the time, regardless if you have North America ticked or not, or if hybrid mode is ticked or not...Think about it............

Seems to me there are many folks who are failing to bother to read the User's Guide for VECTOR.  If you look in your FSX\ORBX folder the sub-folder User Documents has manuals for just about every ORBX product available.  Most questions asked are covered pretty well in the manuals.

This is the coordinates of a saved flight.

1450703664.jpg

The saved area is within this area.

1450691398.jpg

This picture was taken with FTX Central 2 set to "FTX Central 2  (P3DV2 - FTX Global, P3DV3 - FTX Global)".

1450714609.jpg

This picture was taken with FTX Central 2 set to "FTX Central 2  (P3DV2 - FTX Global, P3DV3 - North America)".

1450762344.jpg

There IS a difference between the two pictures.

The first picture with the settings "FTX Central 2  (P3DV2 - FTX Global, P3DV3 - FTX Global)" is typical of the way that most of this area of Canada looks under openLC North America - Alaska/Canada,

But if I have FTX Central 2 set to  (P3DV2 - FTX Global, P3DV3 - North America)", and I leave the Pacific Fjords area I do not see what you see in the first picture.

Or to simplify it, when leaving the Pacific Fjords area I do not see openLC North America - Alaska/Canada,

OP has a misunderstanding of how a full ORBX region will "play nice" with an openLC product covering the same area.

As Nick said, FTX Central will NOT "turn on" or "turn off" an openLC product.  If the openLC product is installed, it will be automatically "activated" in the Scenery Library.  The user should NEVER deactivate it.  If they don't have an overlaying full region, the openLC  landcalss files will be used to determine which textures to display for that geographical area.  If they do have a full region that covers part of that openLC geographical area, if THAT region is active in FTX Central, the landcalss in THAT full region's geographical area will take precedence (and it will be a smaller geographical area than the larger openLC geographical area, so "outside" of the full region, the openLC files will still be used).

There is no reason to have to switch back and forth between a specific NA region and "Global" (with or without Hybrid mode) using FTX Central to make an NA region and openLC NA work together.  And there should be no reason to have to "manually" deactivate openLC NA in the Scenery Library either.

Something else is happening to create the OP's problem (or perceived problem).  My gut feeling right now is it might be the "Hybrid" vs "No Hybrid" options in using the FTX Central "Global" choice.  That has always caused many users to go "Huh?"

Of course the entire post is in the wrong section as the OP is having problems with P3D and is citing both v2 AND v3.  with Central being set to both v2 and v3 according to post #7.  I'm not sure how you can do that???????????

Hi guys,

below are four screenshots of mine (in FSX) from the same location. In the first pair the difference is the addition of openLC NA, both have FTX Global Base and Vector. FTX PFJ is not active meaning FTX Central is set to Global without the hybrid checkbox.

The second pair shows FTX PFJ active, which means that openLC NA and Vector are overwritten; there's no obvious visual difference between the two even though one is set to North America and the other to Global-hybrid.

As mentioned by others the openLC entries always remain active, regardless of FTX Central settings, unless the user manually deactivates them. Moreover, since the landclass and autogen control files switched by FTX Central are very similar for North America and Global-hybrid the visual differences are minimal regardless of the Group applied. 

In short, there's nothing to worry about here as flying from an NA FTX Region into adjacent areas will not change the display of openLC NA regardless of whether North America or Global-hybrid is selected; there's certainly no need to switch in mid-flight!

I'd question OldAirmails premise that his first screenshot is a more representative depiction of that area of the BC Coast as that would mean that Vector with openLC NA is more accurate than PFJ (which is only active in his second screenshot). If you compare the PFJ screenshots with Google Earth or Bing you'll see that they accurately show the open wetland forest types (muskegs) on lower slopes. Also, you can see some of the forestry clearcuts in the right side of my screenshot, which aren't represented in openLC NA or Global Vector.

Cheers, Holger

FTX-PFJ north of Bella Bella - Global Base plus Vector.jpg

FTX-PFJ north of Bella Bella - Global Base plus Vector plus openLC NA.jpg

FTX-PFJ north of Bella Bella - FTX PFJ on North America.jpg

FTX-PFJ north of Bella Bella - FTX PFJ on Global-hybrid.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 2:06 PM, Nick Cooper said:

OpenLC is not affected by FTX Central and like all the Global products,

remains active in your scenery library all the time.

That was the way that I thought it worked.

But as good as the Pacific Fjords area is in detail, in some areas I find the newer openLC North America - Alaska/Canada to be more appealing.

This is of course subjective, and each of us will have our own opinion.

"Or to simplify it, when leaving the Pacific Fjords area I do not see openLC North America - Alaska/Canada,"

Not correct. As I said when I started this post "I just bought Pacific Fjords & NA Blue Southern Alaska (Order #FSS0435267), and ...."

Unless you really know the area in question, you don't know it. All of this is just representative of the area.

To quote Alfred Korzybski - "The map is not the territory".

Thanks, all for your contributions.

Archived