updates crashed my Sim

teecee

I flew for an hour this A.M. then had other duties so I shut the computer down.. when I returned I  decided to change from the US to Australia, and got a notice of two updated which I ran and installed.. Re-ran the library, and started the sim....Fatal error.. shut the sim, and the system and rebooted.. ran the sim..Fatal error.. three times... HELP.. I really do not want to do another reinstall, they take about two weeks to get everything perfect.

Is there a way to roll back the updates?Teecee.

I don't remember, but I think that they may well have been.. I just realised that I posted this in the wrong forum, could the moderators move it please? Teecee.

PS: I get an error report that the problem is in msvcr100.dll , I tried temporarily removing this update but to no avail.

1) Run FSX to trigger the crash.

2)  Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. (Windows 7)

a) In Windows 10, just use the task bar search to find Event Viewer.

3) Using the tree on the left open "Windows Logs" and application logs.

4) Click on the last event that crashed FSX. It will say "application faulting path - ../FSX.exe"

5) Check out other lines like "faulting module path" that will provide clues as to actually what causes the crash. DLL crashes are common. Opus crashes, EZdok crashes and FSUIPC are all common here.

This will give you at least an idea of what the problem is so you can go about fixing it.

Post screenshots of crash logs here if you need help interpreting it.

Twenty four hours and nothing from the Techs?? come on people, I need answers here..

This is the second time your "updates" have crashed my system.. the first time, I bit the bullet and did a complete reinstall.

I am sick of this, the info that came with the updates said "you may not wish to install this update at this time, but if you do not, it may crash your system", or words to that effect, so I ran them, and weeks of installing and tweaking gone. There must be answers to this, what are they?

I have bought almost everything that Orbx have put out over the years,so my sim is at the point where I do not need to add extras, and to be honest, if I do not get help here I am done with Orbx.

I know that I posted the original post in the wrong forum, and I asked for it to be moved.. To date that has not happened, so come on Orbx, give me some help here. Teecee.

Hello Teecee, I have moved the topic.

Have you tried any of the above suggestions?

Last week, during a couple of Windows 10 updates,

I started having  msvcr  type errors too.

They have gone away now but after another major Windows 10

update and a re-install of most of Microsoft Visual C++.

It's not always the software that you are using that is at fault

is the point I suppose I am trying to make.

Hi Nick.. Thanks for moving the post for me.. I am using win7, and Prepar3d 2.5, and it is beyond doubt that the cause of this problem is down to the Orbx updates.. As I said in the early post,  the problem happened once before and according to my research it is definitely in the  msvcr100.dll file, I would think that a simple rollback of the two updates would fix it.. Is there no method or system for rolling the two back? Teecee.

Do you not keep a copy of the previous/original versions? If so I would try and install those once you know by looking in your Orbx folder as to what products were updated and what the "Date Modified" column says. If it was today it woud show the modified date as 15 december.

Only a suggestion. If it works then you are good to go again with the orignal + latest orbxlibs etc and ignore the Update.

No copies of original as I simply ran the two installers that showed up on FTX central, as I was not aware that there could be problems.. I have decided to reinstall the sim now so the pressure is off. It's a sad day for me, removing and reinstalling over 200gig of sim, but I have learned a lesson, and will not repeat this mistake again.. No more auto updates for me.. Teecee.

Sorry to hear about the complete reinstall but at least it will get you back and up flying. A lesson learned here is that it is prudent to save a copy of your originals stored away on another drove. I always keep a copy of the unwrapped download. As a suggestion to you which i find extremely useful is to use FS Cubed ( not plugging, just advising it's benefits). It will make a copy of your whole sim and should somethng like this happen again you just run it and you have your sim back. It takes while to make and reinstall your sim but it is definately quicker than manually resinstalling everything, 

23 hours ago, teecee said:

Twenty four hours and nothing from the Techs?? come on people, I need answers here..

This is the second time your "updates" have crashed my system.. the first time, I bit the bullet and did a complete reinstall.

I am sick of this, the info that came with the updates said "you may not wish to install this update at this time, but if you do not, it may crash your system", or words to that effect, so I ran them, and weeks of installing and tweaking gone. There must be answers to this, what are they?

I have bought almost everything that Orbx have put out over the years,so my sim is at the point where I do not need to add extras, and to be honest, if I do not get help here I am done with Orbx.

I know that I posted the original post in the wrong forum, and I asked for it to be moved.. To date that has not happened, so come on Orbx, give me some help here. Teecee.

Look into Acronis.  It's a complete backup system.  I never install anything without first running it.  If i have a problem I can do a restore, registry included in 20 mins.

Archived