how to use Open LC with Regions?

alexzar14

Please teach me. I have OpenLC EU and added Norway and England. Norway is cool but England isn't impressive: land textures look similar to OpenLC EU but there is less autogen and more scarcity. Something isn't correct. 

With FTX Central-1 I could select/deselect items, with Central-2 I can not. There's only one function: "enable hybrid mode" which is confusing and all the manuals/instructions I have are based on Central-1. NOOOOO CLUUEE what to do now, and how to manage all this business.

If you installed the scenery correctly, in FTX Central 2, there should be a section on the left hand side, underneath global, that says Europe. That will have England and Norway in it. Activate that region and you'll see a dramatic difference.

Yes, apply group; that enables a region, and you won't need hybrid mode.  Remember, you can only enable one region at a time.  When you enable Global, you can also activate hybrid mode as well, which makes the transition from Global to full blown regions, like Norway, much smoother, but you won;t have all of the detail present in your full blown regions.

Hi Alex

Yes, to activate a region press "apply group".  If you want to switch from Europe (where England and Norway reside) to say N America, select N America and click on "apply group" again.  Same process to switch to Global

Here's the link to Rob Newman's excellent pdf guide to all ftx products and how they work together.

Hope this gets you on the right path.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

I make a habit of turning off the various landclasses in the scenery library  if I am flying in a so called "full fat" area.. works every time for me. the trick is to remember to turn them back on when required.  Teecee.

teecee, try SIMstarter. Made 5 different profiles which create 5 different scenery cfgs and also allows you to create desktop shortcuts to those 5 profiles. It means that you only need to change a Region in Central then click on the SIMstarter profile for that region. Example is my Europe profile:

I have all of my European NightEnvironment lighting enabled, UK2000 airports, FTX European airports payware and FTX free (duplicates in UK2000 inactive) FTX Eng/Wales/ Scotland/ Ireland/ N.Ireland/& Norway +orbxlibs and Europe OLC. No NA/AUS or Vector enabled. Works great, and loads quicker.

NA profile has California NightEnvironment lighting/FTX NA airports/FTX NA Regions/ NA Canads/Alaska OLC +orbxlibs. No Vector, AUS, EU etc.

I cannot recommend it enough and cos it's a freebie I am not officially "plugging" it as there is no financial implication !!

Click and go with all the scenery you want enabled or disabled with out having to do anything.

25 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

teecee, try SIMstarter. Made 5 different profiles which create 5 different scenery cfgs and also allows you to create desktop shortcuts to those 5 profiles. It means that you only need to change a Region in Central then click on the SIMstarter profile for that region. Example is my Europe profile:

I have all of my European NightEnvironment lighting enabled, UK2000 airports, FTX European airports payware and FTX free (duplicates in UK2000 inactive) FTX Eng/Wales/ Scotland/ Ireland/ N.Ireland/& Norway +orbxlibs and Europe OLC. No NA/AUS or Vector enabled. Works great, and loads quicker.

NA profile has California NightEnvironment lighting/FTX NA airports/FTX NA Regions/ NA Canads/Alaska OLC +orbxlibs. No Vector, AUS, EU etc.

I cannot recommend it enough and cos it's a freebie I am not officially "plugging" it as there is no financial implication !!

Click and go with all the scenery you want enabled or disabled with out having to do anything.

I can heartily agree with jjaycee1's comments.  I have three Simstarter profiles set up myself (NorthAmerica, Oceania, Europe), in much the same way jjaycee1 has his set up.  The only thing I have to remember is to activate Vector when I decide to fly in New Zealand, since I normally have Vector turned off when flying in Oz.

12 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Hi Alex

Yes, to activate a region press "apply group".  If you want to switch from Europe (where England and Norway reside) to say N America, select N America and click on "apply group" again.  Same process to switch to Global

Here's the link to Rob Newman's excellent pdf guide to all ftx products and how they work together.

Hope this gets you on the right path.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

So they can't be activated simultaneously? I have to switch? What happens on a flight KSFO-EGLL?

Also, how do I disable the (single) region, say PNW? I know I can do it from within the scenery library but it will restore itself, not the right method. How do I disable it the right way?

ok off to read the new manual.

3 minutes ago, alexzar14 said:

So they can't be activated simultaneously? I have to switch? What happens on a flight KSFO-EGLL?

Also, how do I disable the (single) region, say PNW? I know I can do it from within the scenery library but it will restore itself, not the right method. How do I disable it the right way?

This is exactly why there is a "Global/Hybrid" mode available.  The full fat regions (North America - Europe) involved in your theoretical flight) will display correctly with almost no noticeable differences and the area in between will display the Global replacement textures which are far superior to default FSX textures.  Of course all of this is clearly covered when you take the time to read the manuals.

ok I've read pages 31-33, still referring to old Central panel but I think I understand the concept - Hybrid mode is what I need to fly airliners.

Thing is, no matter the mode (hybrid or regions), the region scenery is still there in the FSX. how do I disable it?. If I want to disable EU England without uninstalling it completely, how do I do it?

Other question, question # 2: I see a significant change after installing NCA and PNW, but I see no immediate change after installing England. According to manual, I should see it no matter what mode is selected, region group or hybrid. Yet I can't see any England package stuff different from Open LC EU.

5 hours ago, alexzar14 said:

Richard and Spud answered most of your further questions, but if you want to disable say England region, go to the Orbx/Scripts folder where you will find a file named "scenerylib_EU_ENG.cfg" and add a  "off" extention to it.  This will stop it from reactivating each time you restart the sim.

15 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Richard and Spud answered most of your further questions, but if you want to disable say England region, go to the Orbx/Scripts folder where you will find a file named "scenerylib_EU_ENG.cfg" and add a  "off" extention to it.  This will stop it from reactivating each time you restart the sim.

Got it. Ok this subject has been figured, the questions answered, thanks.

Now we have to address another problem, I will have to create a new thread for it (please read, posted @ FTX compatibility forum).

Archived