What Orbx is doing next ... a quick roadmap

John Venema

I thought I would share our immediate and long term plans so you know what the team is up to ok?  Please, don't ask for release dates, and all the timeframes I am giving below are an *estimate* only ok?

1. Orbx Freeware GA Airport Pack AU BLUE

This is now in the final stages of development. About 50 small to medium photoreal airports, so well blended into FTX you will have trouble finding them. We expect to make this available within two weeks, maybe sooner. Download will be from the FTX website on a new "Free Stuff!" dedicated page.

2. HolgerMesh™ AU

This is the Orbx repackaging of Holger's great freeware mesh for AU. We're just going to give it a lick of fancy paint and nice neat installer which takes care of the scenery library so it's install and forget. Also 100% freeware and used with Holger's kind permission.

3. YMML Melbourne International Airport

This is currently in development, with a view to an April release. Don't ask for specific release dates. YMML will be a 15cm/pixel photoreal base airport, with 1m/pixel extended coverage for 20km+ sq. around it. It will be so tightly blended into FTX you won't be able to find the joins. It will feature 100% custom gmax modeled buildings taken from 1000's of photos at the airport. We will have animated aerobridges, sophisticated approach lighting systems and lots more. It will be the finest international airport ever made for FS in Australia. All the suburbs around the airport will be 100% annotated with full autogen right up to the airport boundary. Our beta testing shows better FPS than the default airport. Screenshots of the current building coming real soon. You will be blown away by our YMML. Yours for thirty bucks.

4. FTX AU GOLD

Now in early beta testing, we already have landclass down for greater Brisbane and Coolangatta areas. We expect this to be release April/May. Lots of new custom textures taken from aerial photos over South East Queensland. We're excited about AU GOLD, since there are so many GA fields there, and Mark Lee can't wait to get stuck into it!

5. Orbx Freeware GA Airport Pack AU GOLD

Will be release within 2 weeks of AU GOLD. Same Mark Lee magic, same photoreal blending. All 100% free.

6. YBBN Brisbane International Airport

We expect YBBN to be released around July/August. More details soon. Same tech as being used for YMML.

7. FTX CityScape Perth

[glow=red,2,300]FTX CityScapes[/glow] will blow you away. It will feature the entire extended CBD areas with hundreds of custom modeled buildings combined with autogen, to create an entire inner city area so real it will look like video footage. Project leader on CityScapes Perth is Jarrad Marshall, a Perth local and world class modeler and FSX developer. Orbx is very excited about our cityscapes franchise and we will also release for Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Hobart over the next 12 months. Price will be very competitive.

8. FTX US BLUE - Pacific Northwest

Holger Sandmann is the project leader on Orbx's first USA region pack. Being a local with a world class reputation for quality and detail, FTX US BLUE will raise the bar ever higher than you've seen already. Prepare to see a makeover of my personal favourite FS region in the entire world - like never before. Combine this with 50+ freeware GA photoreal airfields and you will have the must-have package of 2008.

Will be released later this year.

9. FTX AU GREEN / RED

Expect these two region before November. They will both contain some surprises and new tech.

Whew!  Sure that's enough for you? Well, we have more in store, but can't talk about that yet ;)

Yours in sharing roadmaps ....

John,

No mention of payware YMEN or YMMB? is there any hope of a port over version for the VOZ versions in the short term?

also if you need any midwest airports I will be more than happy to go and take pics for you either aerial or ground level within a 2 hours drive of indianapolis (which means pretty much anywhere in Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky and Michigan!)

Cheers

Aussiecop

p.s DYING for the melbourne cityscape, GREAT! something more to pine for!

Thanks for the heads up John!

My biggest bugbear with the Brisbane Intl area in default FSX is the lack of the biggest landmark on approach: The Gateway Bridge. I am hoping that this will be corrected with au_gold. Given that it's my home area, I am looking forward to flying over my house!

Holly crap thats alot of work !! I hope u have fitted sleep and family into that timeline wow you boys are working fast!  

Out of all of that i ask for ONE thing . PLEASE PLEASE get the height of the gateway bridge right as the true height has yet to be replicated :D

"God and Microsoft made planet FSX , Orbx/FTX just made it better ! "

After just a couple of hours checking out AuBlue I wish to congratulate everyone involved on a very fine effort and I look forward to future developments. It is so good to see such recognisable landmarks and very Australian looking landscapes in FSX.

Hi John G,

JohnV, I did'nt see in your post about Adelaide::South Australia or the Great Australian Bight being finished.

Cheers....

JohnG.... 

Great Australian Bight coastline updates are in the works right now; shouldn't take too long.

Cheers, Holger

Out of all of that i ask for ONE thing . PLEASE PLEASE get the height of the gateway bridge right as the true height has yet to be replicated :D

Initial planning of YBBN has the Gateway bridge covered in the photoreal area considering its proximity to the airport, and therefore i would expect that we will include a nice accurate model of this landmark.

7. FTX CityScape Perth

FTX CityScapes

will blow you away. It will feature the entire extended CBD areas with hundreds of custom modeled buildings combined with autogen, to create an entire inner city area so real it will look like video footage. Project leader on CityScapes Perth is Jarrad Marshall, a Perth local and world class modeler and FSX developer. Orbx is very excited about our cityscapes franchise and we will also release for Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Hobart over the next 12 months. Price will be very competitive.

This is really great news. Will Fremantle be done?

John, that's a pile of work!  Loving AU Blue, and live in SE Qld so looking forward to the Gold pack.    I've mentioned this over on the VistaAustralis forums, but there is a big glitch in the land/water mapping in FSX/VSX at the bottom end of North Stradbroke Island in Moreton Bay.  It's right where one of Mark Lee's great airstrips are, but it's a pity because the current (landclass?) adds about 100 acres to the bottom end of the island where actually it's a very narrow strip of land.  The rest of the Bay is pretty good ( I think) but this square paddock the size of about 100 football fields looks very weird and ruins the flying experience over the Bay and the approach to Brisbane Airport.  Just letting you know and maybe someone can check it's been picked up in the coming release.  Cheers and congrats once again!!

John

G'day Rossco, thanks for the response.  I'll go looking for those files.  Am I looking in the 03 VSX Scenery folder or elsewhere? 

You have me wondering now though, because some month or so ago, in response to some issues with grass bleed-through on the YBBN runway, it was suggested we remove "CVX_YBBN.BGL" from the "03 VSX Scenery" folder, as this file was causing the bleed-through problem.  I wonder if removing that might have created the issue with the extra land on Stradbroke Island?

TIA

Johhno

Yep. That's most likely the reason.

I had previously created these files prior to Acceleration/ SP2 patch for FSX & did not need to nominate an elevation for the new airport polygon for them to work OK. Following the release of the SP2 files for FSX this changed & an elevation was required to fix the bleed through.

Unfortunately I did not upload the corrected files in time for release hence the bleed through effect.

I must contact JayKae to see if there is a way we can provide the new files for download prior to the next release as it is a real pain not having a runway, & as you have seen the alternative causes just as severe a problem.

Other wise remove the YBCG file & that will fix it however you will also lose the beaches & canals on the Gold Coast.

While I do not have the Blue pack as yet (need $$!) I do look forward to the repackaging of Holger's mesh as it is sensational.

Once I get some cash the Blue and Gold regions will certainly become part of my FSX experience

Quite enjoyed that Just Flight's Virgin Blue video too. Got a pleasent supprise when I noticed that Brett was flying the last flight in that video. He used to fly with the old man in Malaysian airlines years ago. A man never to challenge at Tennis... he old man's last name is Rosewell....  ;D

Brad

Hi John,

I purchased FSGlobal a while back which is supposed to be good terrain mesh for FS9 and FSX.

Do you recommend installing HolgerMesh AU over the terrain mesh I currently use or should I stick to what I have?

Regards, Paul Phibbs

Holgermesh is 90M STRM resampled to 76M. This is the same as FSGlobal, FSGenesis and FSX default, however Holgermesh, FSGenesis and FSGlobal have improvements which are subtle, but add to the experience. If you have FSGlobal/FSGenesis there will be no perceived benefit to installing Holgermesh.

The main aim of Holgermesh is to provide a better-than-default mesh for those user who have not yet purchased FSGlobal or FSGenesis payware meshes.

Hope that clarifies?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Private-Cowboy

Why did you unpin that very important thread? Instead you should update it...

Holgermesh -> released

AU Blue Freeware -> released

AU YMML -> on track?

AU Gold -> on track?

etc...

Archived