The Pilot - An Unexpected Journey

Stillwater

In a hole in the ground there lived a pilot. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a pilot-hole, and that means comfort.

01YMML.jpg

During the morning hours, more and more paxes arrived, striving for free food and drinks.

02AirNZL.jpg

But a good pilot´s hole always has some sparkling on stock. United we stand!

03United.jpg

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks."

04YMML.jpg

05Melbourne.jpg

Crossed the (blue) mountains to reach places so far eastwards the pilot had never reached before. “There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.†

06Sydney.jpg

07BlueMts.jpg

At least, the wizard had prepared a good map for the adventure they were heading for. A map that even included some ETOPS pubs along the way, just in case one encounters unforeseen trouble.

08YMML-KLAX.jpg

09YMML-KLAX.jpg

10YBBNETOPSend.jpg

11Pacificsunset.jpg

Having not even finished half the way of the day, just after SAPIR, a problem ocurred that required an unexpected emergency landing. “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" He took a look at the wizard´s map,  and found the closest suitable landing place was NSTU. "Pago Pago", as the dwarfes called it. He had never been there before, and it was pitch black night.

In unpoetic words: NSTU should have an ILS, but the default Navigraph of PMDG´s 777 does not have it. That added a bit to the pitch-black challenge in the middle of the Pacific. Too high and too far left in the first attempt...

12NSTU.jpg

A nice challenge to make a manual go-around with no guidance by useful FMS data - and limited views. But even more rewarding once you hit the spot - can you see it? (The T7 is on both shots, between the white lights on the wingtips...)

13Pagofinal.jpg

14NSTUonthespot.jpg

And out of thee darkness Orbx´ Pago Pago scenery grows, as a shining group of buildings and GSX ground crew. “May the hair on your toes never fall out!â€

15PagoPago.jpg

16PagoPago.jpg

Great shots and story Gerold, or should I call you Goethe :lol: .

Thanks for giving us the RL pics again of how the other half fly, The missus and I have to be content with cattle class and a box of sushi from one of the stalls before we fly :smile: .

Like the first shot at YMML with the SQ 744.

I think NSTU is becoming a new hub for UA.

Awesome shots!! Great work!!! :D

Awesome post again Gerold, love the shots!

Thank you, 737 and Dolf, for watching & commenting.

Well I am a little jealous and quite envious all in one :)

No need for envy, the diversion in this post is fiction, and the free breakfast is not even a fair equivalent for getting up far too early for a good one at home or hotel - and not getting the time for touristic activities at nice locations :wacko: .

Hi nice shoot

Why are you on CLB when you are at FL370 level of CRUise  ?? 

Dunno - the thrust setting was chosen by ATHR. May it be that the upcoming step climb to FL390 was the reason? However, on the Airbus you also just put the throttles in CLB and leave it unchanged for the rest of the flight (with Airbus even in descent and autoland), so this Boeing logic did not surprise me at all.

Great shots and story Gerold, or should I call you Goethe :lol: .

Thanks for giving us the RL pics again of how the other half fly, The missus and I have to be content with cattle class and a box of sushi from one of the stalls before we fly :smile: .

Like the first shot at YMML with the SQ 744.

I think NSTU is becoming a new hub for UA.

Don´t you worry, Martyn: I bet your sushi is better than what was on offer in the beautiful ANZL lounge. It is all just about the best way to relax and keep free of stress - and there are different ways to reach this in business or holiday travel 8) .

Locationwise NSTU is a good place for a hub. The supply chain for fuel needs to be clarified, though, and I am unsure how all these travellers would change the Islands... ???

Nice,, Sounds like something from Kenneth Graham or is it J R R Tolkien? Makes a nice change though, whichever it is..Teecee.

Good guess TeeCee. The citations are JRR Tolkien, with some slight free text additions by the pilot himself.

Gerold you are man of many talent's , maybe MI6 is recruiting . :ph34r:8);)   Now as far as your post goes , hands down your best of the year . Well done Mr. Bond . :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Brad

My pleasure, Brad. When I saw the code "NSTU" on the operational flight plan, I knew this would be my way to move the sim towards Pago Pago. Took me some time to come down there, but now I am ready to discover its beauty  ;D !

Supr shots again gerold - and another fantastic RL comparison too - always on tour around the globe - really, really nice Gerold, keep on doing so!

And Thank You very much for sharing some of Your impressions with us here in between every now and then!

By the way:

In unpoetic words: NSTU should have an ILS, but the default Navigraph of PMDG´s 777 does not have it. That added a bit to the pitch-black challenge in the middle of the Pacific. Too high and too far left in the first attempt...

One "unpoetic" but pragmatic suggestion:

Maybe consider checking out purchasing a decent Navigraph update every now and then, because although i am currently taking a brake from flightsimming due to real life keeping me way too occupied, i really have to admit that the Navigraph packages (with all the many charts and so on) were always worth their money - and i am sure that on the day when i'll be launching my sim again, updating my sim's Navigraph database will be one of the first things i am going to do.

I also think that some proper FMS data for NSTU will/should be available then.

Just an idea though - and for now:

Looking at Your great shots here again.

And - as i forgot to mention:

Some very nice narrative here as well Gerold!

;):)

Great post.

cheers

Iain

Excellent trip, thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Iain & Az!

Supr shots again gerold - and another fantastic RL comparison too - always on tour around the globe - really, really nice Gerold, keep on doing so!

And Thank You very much for sharing some of Your impressions with us here in between every now and then!

By the way:

One "unpoetic" but pragmatic suggestion:

Maybe consider checking out purchasing a decent Navigraph update every now and then, because although i am currently taking a brake from flightsimming due to real life keeping me way too occupied, i really have to admit that the Navigraph packages (with all the many charts and so on) were always worth their money - and i am sure that on the day when i'll be launching my sim again, updating my sim's Navigraph database will be one of the first things i am going to do.

I also think that some proper FMS data for NSTU will/should be available then.

Just an idea though - and for now:

Looking at Your great shots here again.

And - as i forgot to mention:

Some very nice narrative here as well Gerold!

;):)

Thanks for your comments & the suggestion. I am not sure if I will get the idea for another story like this one (there is only one Tolkien), but I am sure there will be some more flight reports...

Is it possible to get a single Navigraph update without the need for a continous contract? If so, the harmonisation of my ATC & planes would be helpful, indeed.

[...]

Is it possible to get a single Navigraph update without the need for a continous contract? If so, the harmonisation of my ATC & planes would be helpful, indeed.

Hi Gerold!

It is possible - for FMS data at least a "single/one time update - option" exists.

However i really liked the Navigraph service and as a tubeliner-flying fan, i must admit that using their products for a longer period of time might be worth some condiseration.

But sure, an update once a while and every now and then may certainly be sufficient as well.

Cheers, Christoph

Archived