Tree Cutter Required :)

BeaverDriver

Good Morning,

A tree trimming service is required at the west end of the runway at Seldovia (PASO), Alaska (SAK fat region, not default) when possible please. I got rid of the birds in it yesterday on my landing, but the tree still remains. This single tree is immediately adjacent to the runway and in the flight path. Assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks ;)

Glenn

Hi Glenn

No tree on the left (western) edge of RW 34 on my rig, at beautiful Seldovia, with the vegetation autogen slider set at very dense in P3D. Actually the runway is pretty free of tree all around except of a lone conifer in the trajectory, but just after crossing the well named Airport avenue, when landing into 34 and a small cluster a little further but off the trajectory.

More an overview of the Rwy 34 final approach area. 

Your GE shot:

14-08-201513-02-02Seldoviar34ge.jpg

Mine in FSX:

2015-8-14_12-51-12-814.jpg

Without disregarding your vision, it seems very close to Google Earth captures ... Logically Trees HD manuring is a bit in these trees. LoL

A possible correction of the height of the trees, you'll get here at this link:

Cheers,

Voyager

Sorry, should have said FSX. Not a clue what P3D has in it. I guess I should have put a screenie in, but it's at the left centre of RWY 16, just prior to the threshold (not actually on the runway itself). It is impossible to miss it in anything much larger than a Super Cub if you want to get stopped before the far end. The runway is 1800 ft so lot a lot of excess room for aircraft like the 206 and up. My autogen is set to Normal.

More an overview of the Rwy 34 final approach area. 

Your GE shot:

14-08-201513-02-02Seldoviar34ge.jpg

My in FSX:

2015-8-14_12-51-12-814.jpg

Without disregarding your vision, it seems very close to Google Earth captures ... Logically Trees HD manuring is a bit in these trees. LoL

A possible correction of the height of the trees, you'll get here at this link:

Cheers,
Voyager

As I said, it's at the west end of the airport for RWY 16. This is the east end of the airport ;) . I don't see any problems at all with that approach.

We looked into the 34 trajectory as final approach to 16 is over water. and you didn't specify  :smile: . No tree at 16 either. That's maybe a FSX thing knowing however that P3D and FSX share the same texture set and that tree density is higher in P3D.

So the question is, had you switched FTX Central to North America when you flew into PASO or were you inadvertently with an other set of textures like Global ?

Yeah, I think I need someone with FSX to look at this. P3D could be altogether different in its portrayal and how it calls autogen. With respect, if you are looking at the trajectory for RWY 34 as the approach to 16, then you're 180 degrees off. Yes, most of the approach is over water to 16 (and I did say the WEST end of the airport, not the east), but there is some land where the runway starts, and that is where the tree is. Please see the screenshot below:

Tree1.jpg

Even the Super Cub's wing drags through that if you don't go over the top of it. This is SAK so it matters little what Global and Vector are doing, and I have my settings at Global/Hybrid (which will only matter outside the fat regions to the best of my knowledge based on reading the manuals).

Anyway, I can simply write an exclude file for it and save everyone a lot of hassle I guess. I just thought it might help others if I reported it here and it was fixed in a later update.

Hi BeaverDriver,

Okay, now I understand, but see that in my first post (post # 3), second shot, I already wrote down that there was only one solitary tree on the left.

Actually I'm not this your new tree, so I said did not interfere with the landing, see there, in post # 3.

So if anyone here confirms this your extra tree can be something with your configuration (or mine isn't right! LoL).

Cheers,

Voyager

Hi Glenn,

I just looked at the airport and I only have that single small tree off to the east side of RW34, the same as in Voyager's screenshot. I've tried all different slider combinations for autogen and terrain but in no case did any additional trees show up. Are you using SAK updated to Service Pack 4? https://www.fullterrain.com/product/sak

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger, yes, SAK has Patches 003 & 004 installed. I'm running with FTX Central set to Global/Hybrid and autogen at Norm. Anyway, not sure why I'm seeing this, but I did build an exclude rectangle as one poster suggested and it's gone now. Odd that I'm getting it when others running FSX aren't, but them's the breaks I guess. Not a problem now anyway. Appreciate the help.

Well, I often fly north and east out of the fat region, so I keep it at Hybrid for that. To be honest, I've not seen any significant differences between having that and Global/Hybrid checked, which (if I'm not mistaken) was the reason for having that option. I'll have a look today though and see if that changes anything on that approach.

Well, I often fly north and east out of the fat region, so I keep it at Hybrid for that. To be honest, I've not seen any significant differences between having that and Global/Hybrid checked, which (if I'm not mistaken) was the reason for having that option. I'll have a look today though and see if that changes anything on that approach.

For what it's worth, I keep NA checked for all my flying in North America, whether I'm flying into or out of a full region or not.  The Hybrid option hasn't made any difference in that respect for me either.

Stew

Well Stew, you hit the nail on the head. I switched to North America and turned off the Exclusion file I made and sure enough, the tree is gone (see below):

Tree2.jpg

The right arrow points to where the tree is when Global/Hybrid is checked/active but is now gone with North America active. The left arrow points to the tree that remains regardless but is no problem on approach (if it is, you have bigger problems than a tree <LOL>).

Many thanks for this. I'll try flying in and out of the region with just NA enabled and see if I get little or no change from having Global/Hybrid checked as you do, although I think I will hit the manuals again just to be on the safe side as I do often stray out of the "fat" regions.

Thanks again Stew and others who responded. Much appreciated

Well Stew, you hit the nail on the head. I switched to North America and turned off the Exclusion file I made and sure enough, the tree is gone (see below):

Tree2.jpg

The right arrow points to where the tree is when Global/Hybrid is checked/active but is now gone with North America active. The left arrow points to the tree that remains regardless but is no problem on approach (if it is, you have bigger problems than a tree <LOL>).

Many thanks for this. I'll try flying in and out of the region with just NA enabled and see if I get little or no change from having Global/Hybrid checked as you do, although I think I will hit the manuals again just to be on the safe side as I do often stray out of the "fat" regions.

Thanks again Stew and others who responded. Much appreciated

You're quite welcome!  I've been doing quite a bit of flying in the US Midwest recently--Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, etc., all with NA enabled.  No problems.  However, I don't think you can get away with sticking with one Region enabled, if, say, you were flying out of Europe into Africa.  In that case checking Global/Hybrid is advised, as far as I know.  I don't own the Europe Region, so don't know for sure.  I seem to remember Holger saying that keeping NA checked when flying in North America in general will result in no significant problems or visual glitches.

As Stew said. The smaller tree to the north of the big one (further off the side of the runway) isn't a problem as it's too far away to catch a wing on. The big tree that appears when you are running Global/Hybrid is a problem though, so switching to North America OR building a small exclude rectangle is necessary to eliminate it.

Yes, sir.  We finally figured that out.  ;)

Stewart

If you fly in there in NA, then go in again in Global Hybrid [with the offending tree appearing] - do you notice any differences in quality of the scenery between the two settings? [Detail, sharpness, misplaced roads etc??]

TTM

Stewart

If you fly in there in NA, then go in again in Global Hybrid [with the offending tree appearing] - do you notice any differences in quality of the scenery between the two settings? [Detail, sharpness, misplaced roads etc??]

TTM

I'll have to try it out this afternoon.  I don't think I've ever flown there, but will try to see the differences, if any, besides the tree of course.

Went to PASO and scouted around.  With NA selected, there was only one tree.  With Global/Hybrid, there were 2 trees.  However, the second large one, nearest the runway threshold, was nowhere near as close to the runway as Glenn's original picture shows.  So...?  No other detailed differences were noticeable.  But the only way to tell would be to fly some circuits around the place.

Archived