Heads-up. A new GA plane - Icon A5

antonvs

Just saw this announcement in Plane&Pilot. This would make a great plane for simming low and slow.

The ICON A5 Has Entered The Building

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/products/whats-new/the-icon-a5-has-entered-the-building.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Learn%20more%20%C2%BB&utm_campaign=PP_eNL_July1#.Vam5wKSqqkp

Anyone up to the challenge?

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I found this excellent freeware yesterday http://www.classicwings.net/#!aircraft--i-/jnt9f

It is certified FSX and P3D. However, it does not load in my FSX. Error: unable to load the model.

It flies like a charm in P3D V3. The VC is really very nice and the sound is good too. Reminds me the one I flew a few years back in MS Flight (R.I.P.).

Really worth a try for that price.

A5_1.jpg

A5_2.jpg

A5_3.jpg

Hey Saul,

Nice to meet you here. Nice shot.

It's my new favorite also. Too bad, there is no compass, a little bit tricky when you are on approach.

Thanks Sylvian,

I generally just do VFR using the GPS with it but it feels really nice. Hopefully an update to this might solve that or now they're acutally in production and delivering to customers a Dev may make a nice project of it.

Its a Bargin at the price in realware or freeware.

Hi Sylvain,

Some of the click spots don't work in FsX but everything is catered for by key strokes, except the CHT gauge which always shows max temperature after a few minutes. Oh and the additional vc light looks better and not so bright if you comment out the manual addition under [Lights}.

Hi Sylvain,

Some of the click spots don't work in FsX but everything is catered for by key strokes, except the CHT gauge which always shows max temperature after a few minutes. Oh and the additional vc light looks better and not so bright if you comment out the manual addition under [Lights}.

Thanks, I will try that. [EDIT] much better indeed

I adjusted the eyepoint. Default lateral was putting me outside the cockpit when I looked right with my track IR. Changed lateral value from -1.4 to -1.0

I also added a right seat cockpit view

[CameraDefinition.001]Title = "Right Seat"Guid = {B3F59DDD-014B-45A0-B936-E1D88F24E2A6}Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = YesSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.5SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=20HeadingPanRate=60InitialXyz=0.62, 0.06, 0.0InitialPbh=8, 0, 0

I'm almost sure the freeware from classicwings contains the 3D model from MS flight - it is really smooth an the HD textures are as crisp as can be. This is in strong contrast to the poor flight model. Maybe, someone has managed to get the model out of FLIGHT, but not the config, and was forced to improvise.

The water rudder is missing, there are flaps defined in the config (like the real thing has) while the aircraft 3D model has none, and it flies a bit like an airbus (much too stable).

I'm looking into the older freeware from Andreas Koerner (2011) - maybe the config of that plane can be mated with the new 3D model...

Hi Saul,

You mean the SHIFT+1 view ? I already found that. It would be nice to have it in the VC display too. That north oriented map is really not easy to use.

I mean on the GPS in the VC. Basically, Once you have the engine started press ok on the GPS in the VC, then pressing MAP the bottom function (on the GPS) will display a compass, Pressing TOPO DISP will then display the GPS, mine is not North Orientated it's Aircraft Orientated. The installer for mine is v1.0.0.

Sorry for the double post.. looking for ther delete function.. it eludes me...

I mean on the GPS in the VC. Basically, Once you have the engine started press ok on the GPS in the VC, then pressing MAP the bottom function (on the GPS) will display a compass, Pressing TOPO DISP will then display the GPS, mine is not North Orientated it's Aircraft Orientated. The installer for mine is v1.0.0.

Hi Saul,

I assume we do not have the same version. I dowloaded mine here http://www.classicwings.net/#!aircraft--i-/jnt9f

There is no installer, I just copied the files in the airplanes folder.

Where did you get you copy?

I tried the same solution :

Pros: you can program the GPS in the VC.

Cons: - the display is not so nice and the map is too small IMO.

- you loose the shadowed terrain which is so nice.

I applied another tweak to have the map aircraft oriented. I program the GPS in the popup window before take-off and I am happy with that.

Archived