Can I use all ORBX scenery at once?

Joshua Rees

Will this do?

1434393448.jpg

Is there any negatives to running "Hybrid" mode full time?

I was under the impression that Hybrid was a mixture, and not as good as one of the "full" regions.

Hybrid mode on will enable everything to work together at once, no other adjustments necessary :)

Lennie, It depends on where you're flying.  If you're flying in the Central Rocky Mountain (CRM) Full Region, but you've ticked Global Hybrid and you have Global active, not NA, you won't get the full benefit eye-candy-wise of flying in the CRM.  At least that's how it seems to me.

Lennie,

try it both ways.  From my personal experience Global/Hybrid vs. Full ORBX region is nearly undedectable to the average human.

(emphasis on nearly)

Spud,  Then what would be the point in buying a Full Orbx region if you can't detect the difference (nearly)?  Just sayin'...

I thought the hybrid mode just made the texture transition when flying from a Full FAT area like NA to a Global area smoother. What does the hybrid mode do to NA? Does it change it's textures?

Noel

Spud,  Then what would be the point in buying a Full Orbx region if you can't detect the difference (nearly)?  Just sayin'...

I thought that "Hybrid" setting was of value when you were flying say from PNW over to Chicago.

ie, going out of an Orbx Region to a general area, or whatever term is applicable for Chicago -  Hybrid 'smoothes' the transition?

Would appreciate an Orbx Administrator clarifying whether if I fly out of Cushman Meadows (PNW) it should look better with FTX Central 2 set on NA, as opposed to Global + Hybrid.?? [Variations in system specs excepted etc)

I run Global + Hybrid all the time now, [except Oceania], & wondering if I am missing stuff in PNW/NA]

Thanks

TTM

Hi Stewart,

I believe Spud meant the Group selection in FTX Central, not the respective content.

In any case if there wasn't a difference between Global-hybrid and the other groups (North America, Europe, Oceania) then we wouldn't need a switch in the first place. In most locations the difference between Global-hybrid and the respective regional group are fairly minimal visually - primarily autogen textures, landclass slope changes, etc. However, the "severity" of the differences also depends on the continent you're flying in (i.e., how much different the Global-hybrid set of custom files are from the respective regional sets). Thus, across North America visual differences are very small, while in Europe they will be a bit more obvious, and in Oceania, especially New Zealand, the landscape will not look like intended when Global-hybrid is selected (assuming the FTX New Zealand regions are installed).

I realize that many users don't like to switch between regions and thus keep FTX Central at Global-hybrid. There won't be any technical issues doing so meaning no texture morphing or other severe display issues. Also, you won't be missing any specific objects or landscape elements. However, if you want to see the FTX regions as we intended them to look like then the corresponding group should be selected.

Cheers, Holger 

Just pick a location in a region out in the boonies and take the same screen shot with both setup and see the differences.  Were talking about flying in an ORBX Region with Global/Hybrid mode set, not flying in an area covered by an ORBX region without having the region in your sim.  Mostly it is the airports and urban scenery that is improved with the full regions.

Global/Hybrid is for use to eliminate the need to stop the sim and load a region as you enter that region.  It makes the scenery almost as detailed as the region by itself.

However with the England Region the developers were not ORBX and England seems to have problems different than all the ORBX developed regions.

Screen shot taken south west of 2S1

Global/Hybrid mode screenshot

GCS_142.jpg

PNW ORBX Region only
GCS_143.jpg

Hybrid mode uses a compromise landclass lookup file. FSX cannot load more than a set number of landclasses, with regions enabled we were able to use the maximum number of classes available for a small area which allows it to be more diverse. With hybrid mode all regions and global must share a set amount of classes across the entire globe. So regions will be a bit less fine tuned as specific local classes are substituted for more global classes.

Hybrid mode uses a compromise landclass lookup file. FSX cannot load more than a set number of landclasses, with regions enabled we were able to use the maximum number of classes available for a small area which allows it to be more diverse. With hybrid mode all regions and global must share a set amount of classes across the entire globe. So regions will be a bit less fine tuned as specific local classes are substituted for more global classes.

Thanks Alex

And back to NA!!! ::)

TTM

The point in my original statement was what Holger, Alex, and Spud all have alluded to:  Enabling hybrid doesn't make sense unless you also have the Full Region you are flying into or out of both installed and activated in the scenery library.  Evidently this is crucial in New Zealand and somewhat less so in Oceania, which I didn't know.  Since I do most, but not all, of my flying in NA, I keep NA activated pretty much all the time. I do activate Global when I fly PNG or Indonesia or Samoa.

The point in my original statement was what Holger, Alex, and Spud all have alluded to:  Enabling hybrid doesn't make sense unless you also have the Full Region you are flying into or out of both installed and activated in the scenery library.  Evidently this is crucial in New Zealand and somewhat less so in Oceania, which I didn't know.  Since I do most, but not all, of my flying in NA, I keep NA activated pretty much all the time. I do activate Global when I fly PNG or Indonesia or Samoa.

Right. But if you fly those, while you would activate "Global" you would not tick "Hybrid"...

Archived