Huge VAS hit with even low vector settings

I have dumbed down my vector settings a LOT lately because of VAS consumption. Everything is un-ticked except the 2 options you see in my screenshot.

All I have are primary roads and secondary roads checked off.....Why such a dramatic VAS hit? I can no longer even finish a flight when flying with my T7 and Vector. My P3D settings are extremely moderate...normal auto gen/vegetation - dense complexity - and no traffic with Global/euLC/FTX edition global mesh. All my airports are unticked when not used and all are dumbed down in their respective configs.

I see in the forum that I am not the only one with VAS issues & Vector. I just don't understand why it takes so much VAS to re-display a road or river but in a different location or shape.

Please open both of these images in new tabs and cycle through them. Look at the top left remaining VAS monitor. I landed safely in FT's Toronto with the T7 and had almost .5 GBs or VAS remaining (perfect after a 11 hr flight with 2 FT airports and lcEU etc...)

If I had left vector on I would not have made it without an OOM (I get them at ~15100 reaming)

warning big pic**

Without vector http://s11.postimg.org/hlbmzh4oh/WO_VECT.png

With vector http://s13.postimg.org/9ae5vdxud/W_VECT.png

Couple of questions. Am I doing anything wrong? my settings are so low and I still need to give up 300mbs for just a primary and secondary road (which I basically get by default). I wont even begin to bring HD Trees in the mix along with my ORBX stuff, I unchecked those puppies on my day of purchase (lol).

I want to fly with ORBX, Vector, lcEU & FTX Global mesh. I have read a lot of your guides and have lower than moderate settings and still find it very hard to complete a flight with the T7. I should be able to at least land with just those few roads checked off...Also, are we going to see any VAS fixes in 1.25?

Hello yorgosGK,

Yes I have also read here that some users have VAS issues but it seems to have a common T7, I do not have issues with VAS while every option "on" but I do not fly a T7. So my question to you is are you positive Vector is causing your VAS issue?

Hello yorgosGK,

Yes I have also read here that some users have VAS issues but it seems to have a common T7, I do not have issues with VAS while every option "on" but I do not fly a T7. So my question to you is are you positive Vector is causing your VAS issue?

Not just the T7. Aerosofts Airbuse's as well (just not as much). I cannot land at an airport with a scenery addon with vector left checked on in the scenery library (but of course I am with Global/LCEU/FTX Edition Global 2010 as well.....)

My main question is.....All I have are primary roads on, why/how can it possibly be such a big hit still when default roads are already existing but vector just essentially changes the path of them. In my screenshots above, it almost looked like without vector on there where more elements/things happening.

I would love to see some sort of guide from ORBX breaking down exactly what happens in vector and where the massive VAS usage is being introduced. Also would love to see some pointers for VAS savings when using this addon because un-checking everything in the config tool just isn't that effective.

I had a 300-400MB of vas jump when unchecking Vector entries in my scenery library and all i had checked in the config tool where primary roads.......just doesn't seem practical. I have been flying with it off now for almost 1 week and I have yet to have an OOM. 

Or...maybe more like paying for and consuming all the icecream, cookies and candy (T7)....and complaining that the fresh fruit and veggies (Vector, Trees HD) are causing the problems?.... lol :):) I wonder if PMDG or CS have any plans for vas improvements also... :)

Okay I will come back with VAS data with a default F22 in P3D and we will see the vas comparison.

Im not arguing about OOM's. I just want to know how is it possible Vector uses SO much vas....its remarkable. Its essentially just changing directions of lines, how and why should I take such a hit.

Vector road lights make the sim, at least in an airliner environment, unflyable for me. It looks so good, and one of the main features of the Vector product, but I cannot complete a flight in any addon airliner, into an addon airport (and at these addon airports, if possible, I turn down/off all the really unnecessary stuff like 3d grass, moving vehicles, etc).

I don't have things cranked up that much - I have a mid-range PC. I have autogen at "normal" (this is necessary for the vector road lights to show up at all apparently) and scenery complexity set to "very dense", water on low 2.x, LOD 4.5, max texture load at 2048. In Vector's "transportation" tab, I have highways, primary roads, secondary roads, and railroads ticket, with only the associated bridges ticked as well.) All AI traffic, including road traffic, is off completely (100% of my flights are on Vatsim). Quite a few other simmers I know have a lot more features selected, and don't get OOMs as much it seems.

I guess I'll just have to leave the road lights off for now :\

I have vector uninstalled for the moment, I was having VAS comsumption increasing just flying over openLC europe with freeware orbx europe global airports only (Aircraft was A2A Skylane 182).  Vector does use more VAS.  I had all the default options on Vector.

pls check on google , for Guide to  " getting the most out of the PMDG-777 " where you can find options to lower vas usage of

pmdg 777, some option can save you 300 to 400 mb when used.

Yeah, the main recommendation it gives is to basically disable the external model of the aircraft. Kind of a hard sacrifice, but it works I guess...

Hey guys,

I've also reported a huge and too obvious increase in VAS allocation after updating from 1.15 to 1.20. Haven't heard anything from the developers yet. If you still have the 1.15 lying around somewhere, try it and you might be a lucky man, even with the T7. Very annoying though.

I have vector uninstalled for the moment, I was having VAS comsumption increasing just flying over openLC europe with freeware orbx europe global airports only (Aircraft was A2A Skylane 182).  Vector does use more VAS.  I had all the default options on Vector.

Yeah, I had to get rid of vector too. Even with FSX Steam Edition which has amazing VAS management, it couldnt handle it after going to 1.2 even in full fat regions. After I got rid of Vector in PNW and NCA, it worked flawlessly. 

Vector is taking around +200MB VAS and with P3D2.5 (2.5 internal VAS management just sucks)- and it makes a difference, as OOMs are close with 200MB overhead.  Will there be some VAS tweaks for Vector 1.25 upcoming patch?

350MBs+ of VAS (for me) just fore re-shaping lines and roads doesn't really justify running it.....Not to mention a lot of the issues I have with airport elevations....It maybe time for an uninstall and for me to move forward without it.

No word from ORBX if their going to touch on VAS issues in 1.25 build....its taking them forever to release, I hope they touch on this.

Orbx? any official word?

No official word, but I wonder how Vector can be tweaked to address VAS.

Vector contains just under 75,000 bgl files, all compiled using the SDK. It's the level of detail that dictates the amount of files and I wonder if that sheer volume will always contribute to memory usage.

With that in mind, what sort of tweaking can be done? Open for suggestions as people are demanding it, so I gather there might be some thoughts how to tackle them - and I am not being sarcastic here.

No official word, but I wonder how Vector can be tweaked to address VAS.

Vector contains just under 75,000 bgl files, all compiled using the SDK. It's the level of detail that dictates the amount of files and I wonder if that sheer volume will always contribute to memory usage.

With that in mind, what sort of tweaking can be done? Open for suggestions as people are demanding it, so I gather there might be some thoughts how to tackle them - and I am not being sarcastic here.

Hi Ed,

I don't know so much about how bgl files are created (I am hardly any developer of any kind), but I have an idea

Why not split the 75000 bgl into smaller manageable groups of 5- 10 (of equal number of files etc) and then compare each group VAS usage to see if there are any differences.  Groups with higher VAS might indicate something is wrong with those file sets and help in identifying some files which could be causing higher VAS usage

Or study the competition's region vector only components and compare it Orbx Vector VAS usage (compare region to region only - that way it is like comparing oranges to oranges).  What is the competition doing? might give some clues.

Or then go with the art of persuasiveness - In my book you guys are one of the biggest sim addon creators - You and the entire Orbx dev team should convince LM to improve VAS cleaning up (heck, I will supply the beers, not joking).  If they can make the memory clean up faster, then that would reduce woes. 

Have an excellent day

I have a light bulb but I may be way off when saying this so I apologize in advanced if I'm way off.....BUT (here I go :P) What is limiting one from using the default textures but just inject the Vector DATA from FTX Vector? I have a feeling that the textures+data combination are making VAS tolls higher then they needs to be....

Maybe there should be an option to keep EXISTING default textures (roads, highways, railroads etc) but just use the data of Vector to change shape/direction/placement....

I could be way off? Ed do I make any sense? lolll 

I have a light bulb but I may be way off when saying this so I apologize in advanced if I'm way off.....BUT (here I go :P) What is limiting one from using the default textures but just inject the Vector DATA from FTX Vector? I have a feeling that the textures+data combination are making VAS tolls higher then they needs to be....

Maybe there should be an option to keep EXISTING default textures (roads, highways, railroads etc) but just use the data of Vector to change shape/direction/placement....

I could be way off? Ed do I make any sense? lolll 

Hmmmmm... I have found that the nondefault Global FTX Textures actually improved performance...and btw...FTX Trees HD do improve vas usage and overall performance as well... :)

Maybe a cool experiment would be to try out the full on T7 with default only FSX and see what happens with vas?

Hmmmmm... I have found that the nondefault Global FTX Textures actually improved performance...and btw...FTX Trees HD do improve vas usage and overall performance as well... :)

Maybe a cool experiment would be to try out the full on T7 with default only FSX and see what happens with vas?

Thanks Doug for your input, FTX Trees HD doesn't improve my FPS nor decrease VAS. I am on P3D, it may be a little different in FSX, For now, I gave up.....I can't have a heart attack on every approach crossing my fingers to not get an OOM (I cannot save and load do to my VA trackers, and the FSUIPC warnings don't always work...going to leave that there as its off topic.)

I have ditched my vector for now and on every one of my flights I have no threat of an OOM. Every new dot upgrade P3D comes out with I reformat and completely clean install it all. During that time I can perform the test of the T7 being with a %100 default environment (ill just install it first) lol.

Archived