Not sure how to unzip

Pineapple Pete

Hello Again,

First of all, I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the intricacies of flight simming, So please bear with me. Also, I hope that I posted this in the correct section of the forum.

I was able to successfully download Orbx FTX Global. The file now resides at C:\users\user\downloads and it is unextracted. I downloaded WinZip in order to extract.

I really do not where to go from here to ensure that it lands in my FSX Gold (not Steam) platform.

Can anyone help me with this?

Sorry to be so unsure but I really want to get this right. Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve: If you have "extracted" it you should now have 10 files showing. FTXGlobal130.2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 & FTXGlobalBASE130.

You now click on FTXGLOBALBASE130 which is the installer. You then will get the option of which version of the sim you want to install into. Click on the correct sim version for your sim. The installer should then find your sim. If the location is correct, e.g. C/FSX or wherever your sim is, then click install. It will do the rest. If the location is not correct(usually it is spot on) then "browse" to the correct location, and as long as all is correct and the installer sees you sim, choose that location and install.

Remember that you should also then install the latest FTX ORBXLIBS version for your sim in order for things to run properly.

Hope the above helps.

Dear Jack,

First of all, thanks for replying. I think you mean I should do the un zipping within WinZip. I will give that a go. Thanks also to jjaycee1 but I have not as yet extracted so his advice might be applicable once I do the extract.

Well, I will give this a go

Steve

Hi Steve

Please add your product order numbers to your signature as per forum rules. :)

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/1157-important-notice-please-add-your-order-to-your-sig-for-support/

Then check out this other thread...hopefully it will help...

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/98017-cant-get-orbx-base-to-install/#entry888292

and this one....

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/82288-corrupt-download-cant-unzip-please-read-here/

Cheers

Doug

Okay,

I right clicked on the zip file and then selected open in WinZip. I then unzipped all of the files (10 of them). Now, where did they go? I cannot find the installer. I will keep looking though, this all very frustrating not so much by what is said but what is unsaid. Wish me luck but I am about ready deep six the whole project. I am a real dummy at all of this.

Okay,

I right clicked on the zip file and then selected open in WinZip. I then unzipped all of the files (10 of them). Now, where did they go? I cannot find the installer. I will keep looking though, this all very frustrating not so much by what is said but what is unsaid. Wish me luck but I am about ready deep six the whole project. I am a real dummy at all of this.

Please follow the forum rules and add your product order numbers to your signature, and we will help you. :)

Pete, they went to where you directed them to go. When you unzipped the file you got a prompt where to right ? they should have gone to your \FSX directory whereever that is placed on our computer. Go in there and have a look.

BTW, if you want to sim right I suggest you get some basic Windows 7 training from somebody, that way you will be able to go about instructions better. It is a must.

Pete, they went to where you directed them to go. When you unzipped the file you got a prompt where to right ? they should have gone to your \FSX directory whereever that is placed on our computer. Go in there and have a look.

BTW, if you want to sim right I suggest you get some basic Windows 7 training from somebody, that way you will be able to go about instructions better. It is a must.

Uncle Adolph

The request to add my product codes came just shortly after a few replies. As a matter of fact. I just now read them. Then I found your admonishment.

Now, I will venture forth to find where in the forum I can add my signature, product codes and anything I might wish to say about myself.

Please follow the forum rules and add your product order numbers to your signature, and we will help you. :)

Doogles, Sorry to have not done this sooner. I have not yet found where to add my signature etc but I will get right to it. I will add my product order number rather my product code as suggested elsewhere.

Steve

Thanks for everyone's help. I tracked down the file location and the install was successful. 

Actually I did not get a prompt as to where the went which was the source of some frustration. Right you are about Windows 7 Training. Thanks for your help.

It will help if you open Windows File Explorer and from the menu at the top,

select View and then Change Folder and Search Options.

Select view in the box that will appear and look for

"Hide extensions for known file types".

Untick the box and then all the files will have extensions which makes finding the

right one much easier.

FTXGlobalBASE130 will now looks like this FTXGlobalBASE130.exe and this is the

installer.

You right click on it, select "Run as Administrator" and it will start to work.

Thanks Mr. Cooper. Getting involved in flight simulation is a new experience and has called for an increased knowledge of Windows 7. (I have been using an iPad for the last several years). I bought a new PC exclusively to get involved with with flight simulation. Man, the learning curve has been steep with several mistakes along the way. I have never been on forums before and am still learning them, Everyone has been most helpful. Those that actually tried to help that is.

Regards,

Steve

Uncle Adolph

The request to add my product codes came just shortly after a few replies. As a matter of fact. I just now read them. Then I found your admonishment.

Now, I will venture forth to find where in the forum I can add my signature, product codes and anything I might wish to say about myself.

Ouch! I'll consider my knuckles duly rapped, then......

It's always puzzled me in the past when I see advice from users to create a folder to unzip into. Why do you need to do that? Simply click unzip or extract and you will get a list of folders at the top of which is Desktop. Extract there and all the files will duly appear.....and they are conveniently in a place where you can't miss them. Then when you have finished your installation simply delete the lot.

I think some people also expect the files to extract in an instant. With something like Global it can take several minutes and I never try and install until I am sure everything is fully extracted....I wait for the FSS logo to appear on the install file. I am pretty sure that a lot of problems arise because people try and install before extraction is complete.

Right. Off to change the bandage.....

The reason to UNzip to a folder is that you can easily save the files to a backup folder for future use. YES I know you can do that from the desktop to but having seen hundreds of cluttered desktops ............

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Surely it would be easier to save the zip file, if you wish to have a back up? If you unzipped it to your back up file wouldn't you have hundreds (at least!) of files?

And as I say if you unzip to the desktop and then delete after use then you wouldn't have any clutter at all!!

I suppose we all find a way that works best, though.

Surely it would be easier to save the zip file, if you wish to have a back up? If you unzipped it to your back up file wouldn't you have hundreds (at least!) of files?

And as I say if you unzip to the desktop and then delete after use then you wouldn't have any clutter at all!!

I suppose we all find a way that works best, though.

Have you seen peoples screens in the "screen" thread. I doubt many of them will even find the unzipped files on the desktop.  ::)

Jack

Archived