Drone vs firehose

ridinroun

I fly them and they are here to say. The real problem are not the drone but the invasion of small and smaller camera, dash cam, body cam or cell phone. A film or a picture will tell the truth.... and I guess people are afraid of that. So invasion of privacy  can be anywhere and everywhere now. You could put a small cam on a RC (radio control) car and no one would say a word and even know that there is a cam in the car. But drone are categorize as filming machine. I also fly them for fun without filming but everybody think that I am. Soon, they will be so small that no one will notice them.  For now, extremely small cam are not giving very good image but that will come. The DJI you see there as a size of about 450mm from prop to prop. when 100-150mm drones will be able to lift a good quality camera.... they will be hard to detect and on top people will see them as toy. In this instance, i don't see why the firefighter reacted this way.

Ben

Although there is a part of me which sees filming of someone's loss (property or otherwise) for other than legitimate news purposes as a little bit distasteful (whether from a drone or from a cell phone), I saw nothing in this footage that was a invasion of privacy. Would they do that to a manned news helicopter? Now if it had filmed a body being removed from the house and then broadcast it, the family would have reason to be disturbed. Police have been shackled with intense video scrutiny, should firefighters be exempt?

they will be so small that no one will notice them.  For now, extremely small cam are not giving very good image but that will come. The DJI you see there as a size of about 450mm from prop to prop. when 100-150mm drones will be able to lift a good quality camera.... they will be hard to detect and on top people will see them as toy. In this instance, i don't see why the firefighter reacted this way.

I have a Hubsan X4 with a 720p camera and it is tiny (fits on the palm of my hand). However, even if the camera were great and if it had the sophisticated auto-hover like the bigger drones, it sounds like a loud, high-pitched swarm of bees, making it less than ideal for surreptitious surveillance or general privacy invading. The DJIs are actually quieter and audibly less obtrusive. One would have to shrink even further to large insect size to get the frequency up out of the audible range and overall sound down I think, although that might cause neighborhood dogs to go crazy. ;)

If this was Australia his Drone would have been confiscated by Police, then CASA would have thrown the book at him for violations of the UAV regulations, then maybe after that he would think twice about flying over emergency workers trying to save a house.

Rick

If this was Australia his Drone would have been confiscated by Police, then CASA would have thrown the book at him for violations of the UAV regulations, then maybe after that he would think twice about flying over emergency workers trying to save a house.

Really? I couldn't find anything about emergency workers or confiscations in CASA regs. I did see a part about remaining 30m away from people and notices of infractions, but not confiscations. Would a news helicopter be confiscated? Just for my own curiosity, do you have a reference?

On a side note, this is probably more a 'Pilot's Lounge' discussion than a 'General Discussion' topic since it is about real-world aviation not flight simming.

There is no difference between people standing on the street taking pictures, a news helicopter flying above taking pictures or this drone (which was off to the side) taking pictures. No laws on the books at least on Florida against what he did. Fire Department could be held responsible for damage to his drone. 

The number of News Helicopters operating in the USA is common with fires and they are much louder and can circle for much longer and you don't see Fire Departments shooting hoses at them. Drones are just a newer thing but this Fireman was in the wrong.

Rick

I couldn't find anything on this and to be honest, Australia, Canada and New Zealand are less regulated compared to the USA and this is why many companies have moved their Research and Development away from the USA because the FAA was very difficult to deal with. CASA by comparison isn't as restrictive.

Here is one example of a USA company testing drones in Canada to avoid FAA regulations:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/amazon-tests-delivery-drones-at-a-secret-site-in-canada-here-s-why-1.3015425

I believe Google is testing drones in Australia for the same reasons, because it is less regulated, Google has also tested unmanned flying WiFi in New Zealand that can be used in disasters.

He is breaking more than 1 UAV reg in Australia, 30 mtr rule is 1, operator of UAV`s must have 1 pilot and 1 camera operator when drone is not in line of sight, Hindrance of Emergency workers is another violation he could be fined for, built up area is another, and if there is a News Chopper flying there as well that is a no fly zone straight away, and finally  you cannot post video`s that have commercial adds attached to it on youtube without a UAV license for Commercial operation, and my info is correct i have my licence, also a member of our UAV club has already received an $800 fine in Townsville for flying over a crowded beach from his yard, posted the video on youtube and drone was confiscated,

Rick

As a firefighter, I believe the actions of the responders here were uncalled for. The drone was not interfering with their work in any way but their choice to be distracted and waste time and resources delayed them from accomplishing useful and relevant tasks. The operator has every right to be upset and expect damages to be paid.

That is awesome

We do that every 2 weekend, that is the other side of the drone story. They are 250mm small quadcopter equipped with FPV.

We also use old warehouse, no one see us or care.

Ben

We do that every 2 weekend, that is the other side of the drone story. They are 250mm small quadcopter equipped with FPV.

We also use old warehouse, no one see us or care.

Ben

With your film skills, I bet you could do a better video!

if one flew over my house it will have rocks thrown at it. They have there place away from peoples homes.

It seems that crims are using them to check for houses to break into. Tells them all they need.

If it happen, you will easy find the pilot and he may be one of your good neighbor and even a friend. In general we fly less then 500 meter at most. more in the 200 range to get a good video signal. on the 5.8ghz we CAN'T go around or in between building, the signal will faint or be lost.

Most pilot and especially the pro like me take good consideration of NOT invading the private life of people.

Your reaction of trowing a rock without even checking who is around to fly the drone make no sense.

A lot of those machine don't even have filming camera.

Now, and again, the way those machine are flying with such precision is because the pilot is not flying in LOS (line of sight - like your classic RC pilot))

There is a low quality very small camera aboard the quad (drone), the video is sent via a VTX (video transmission) and it's receive into a set of goggle

1759-1.jpg

As you can see the goggle have an antenna and a video receiver imbedded in it. What we see is of medium quality.

This is the image quality we see:

osd.JPG

In this case the drone is also equipped with an OSD system that give data to the pilot.

What I'm trying here is simply to educate the one that don't get what is FPV  (first person view)

In the case of a serious fire a drone could be useful. A captain could see thing happening before the firefighter could see it and alert them. On top people in danger could be seen in windows or more difficult place to see.

Basically it does what an helicopter could do but at a fraction of the price.

A guy like me never did crashed because I'm strict and maintain my flying machine properly.

But I have been in the business for 35 years.

I hope that I have shed some light on the subject.

Cheers, Ben

Interesting thread...  I'm fascinated by the whole thing... I've been flying my hobbyzone LP Super Cub for a few years now.

I'm also an air traffic controller and we see more and more drone NOTAMs being posted, and a few phone calls here and there.

Archived