Flying Global+Vector+Mesh only ?

dominique

Regulars of this forum fly OpenLC EU or fat regions most of the times, I suppose.

But do you also fly where you have only Vector, Global and a good mesh ? I do it, rarely though. the Indonesia archipelago with numerous islands, volcanoes and jungles coming first.  What are other places where the landscape has a semblance of credibility for you and where you like go flying ? Again no fat region, no OpenLC.

Maine & Vermont look pretty reasonable. It'll look much better with OpenLC though... African central highlands are more interesting than I thought they would be. South America is challenging as well. First one is done lower and slower. The latter two have only been heavy freighter destinations so far.

Until OLC is available globally, I tend to fly in rural areas because the towns seem to be the weakest point.  Which is no problem, as I like mountains and remote places.

There are a lot of places I've tried, but the ones I keep coming back to are:

Indonesia: I'm another fan of Java's volcanoes, and also Nusa Tenggara and the Moluccas.  IRL there are a lot more small strips, and I'd love a package to add them e.g. in West Papua.

The Patagonian Andes (Chile/Arg): from the Lake District all the way down to the Magellan Strait.  A coastline that rivals Norway!

Brazil: the coastal plain and escarpment between Paraty and Porto Alegre.

I've a few in N America too, but I'll re-evaluate those when OLC NA is out.

But do you also fly where you have only Vector, Global and a good mesh ?

Yes, for me the whole purpose of buying Global + Vector was that I could fly outside regular Orbx areas and it would look fairly Orbx-like. So far it seems to work okay, alhough the airports are generally a bit lame.

Interesting suggestions guys, thanks !

So, at least, two others people like to fly in Indonesia, like me ! From West Sumatra, to Java, Bali and Sulawesi, a lot to see and not bad at all (general feeling) with the Global set.

Africa, I've yet to find a good place. Haven't looked hard enough, I reckon. Central Highlands ? what do you mean ? South Africa, I tried without finding the right spot.

Israel. I know Israel too well not to be disappointed by the rendition. Gibraltar is good but in OpenLC. 

And yes Hawaii is quite decent with Global, Vector and the freeware airports. I've a very old FSgenesis landclass that I switch on sometimes . Maine and Vermont. I wouldn't have thought of these States. I'll have a look.

Never ever thought to fly SE Brazil either, I really have to do that too. I did the Amazon which is plenty nice if not rapidly boring (trees, trees, trees) without bush strips and some sceneries (piranhaflow) . Patagonia is nice enough indeed !

Any other suggestions ?

Do a Google search and get the PW Sceneries island volumes. Along with St. Martin it makes for some pretty good flying. You can also get a boxed version of UTX Canada pretty cheap on Amazon. In my opinion I like UTX Canada better than their USA version. Love flying Newfoundland. Should blend with Vector I believe.

Archived