dead horse beating.......wave speed

lthendrix

I know for some of you  more seasoned fsx vets that this question is another dead horse beating 

and believe me, I did my research with the google gods and realized I will get the best answer here in my community with my people.

Now because I am (and hope you all  are also)  flying around islands more, I wold like to coax from the people a way ,..... the best way, to slow down the waves and make them more immersive during island flights,

Switch to P3d, you get nice 3d waves on the water, but nothing breaking on the shore~

Hi, Perk, could you, please, elaborate? I don't get any waves in P3d, the water is just statically frozen which is even more annoying in view of the stunning Pago Pago South Seas scenery.

I tried a lot of tricks like Tesselation, Water, Mesh Settings, REX, Wind... nothing does really help. I would be grateful for any hints.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi, Perk, could you, please, elaborate? I don't get any waves in P3d, the water is just statically frozen which is even more annoying in view of the stunning Pago Pago South Seas scenery.

I tried a lot of tricks like Tesselation, Water, Mesh Settings, REX, Wind... nothing does really help. I would be grateful for any hints.

Kind regards, Michael

What settings do you use right now? I have my water set on "Ultra" and tessellation set at it's lowest, I get waves with those settings.

Waves are influenced by the current weather or wind settings I believe. You could possibly try setting the weather to stormy (or whatever other weather setting includes high winds) and using my settings I posted. 

Hope it works,

-Mac

Hi Mac,

thanks for the reply. I have water as well as tesselation at "ultra". I have mesh resolution at 5m as suggested by ORBX, but tried 1m once and it didn't make a difference. I usually fly in "Fair Weather", where I couldn't expect much waves, but when I selected the "Building Storms" theme I saw neither noticeable moving waves nor white crests.

Maybe I should start to play with more weather settings.

Kind regards, Michael

Kind regards, Michael

I have the same experiences Michael. I've tried all of the above and nothing seems to make a difference. Even making custom coloured water in REX doesn't seem to have any effect,

Simon

There are no real waves in P3D, its more like a heave for me which needs ultra water and tesselation. The motion is noticeable mainly if you put a floatplane in the water. No breakers in P3D either (they are horrible in FSX anyway) but under the right orientation, if you fly low, you see some twinglings or foam caps on the crests of the heave.

2014-10-5_14-41-42-328.jpg

There are no real waves in P3D, its more like a heave for me which needs ultra water and tesselation. The motion is noticeable mainly if you put a floatplane in the water. No breakers in P3D either (they are horrible in FSX anyway) but under the right orientation, if you fly low, you see some twinglings or foam caps on the crests of the heave.

Dominique, is this P3D default water or REX, and if so, which one?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Michael,

I've got Tessellation enabled, and everything on the Scenery page cranked full right except Autogen Building Density (normal).  I've also got Bathymetry checked.  I'm using Rex4 TD with Set 19 "Photoreal" installed for wave animation.

Depending on wind speed, I get really nice rolling waves, and the period even drops off as the depth gets shallower.  Unfortunately they still don't break over anything, but I do get foam caps - not sure if that's coming from the Rex texture or not.

I'm not setup for a video, but here's a screenshot with the wind at 16kts.  The entire ocean is moving in an undulating roll, and it's actually a moving 3d surface, not just 2d texture tricks.  You can see the demarkation line, where the waves get less intense as it shallows out in to the coast.

JIddcN9.jpg

Hi Perk,

thank you for the helpful comment. I see at least two differences: (i) I have Bathymetry off, (ii) I use the default water, at present.

However, I own TD and can give both a try.

Kind regards, Michael

I also have Bathymetry off and my water is set to 'mid'. I remember reading on this forum that there is only bathymetry data for around the States and a couple of other areas. I think I also turned this off to geet some FPS back.

I'll re-enable it later and change my water levels and see if I get any improvement,

Simon

Archived