No more scenery

Scott

Just recently my ORBX scenery has dissappeared. Here's a chronology...have had new FTX Central for a while along with original version. Every time new scenery installed the original version opens. NO PROBLEM. Just purchased Vector and Base installed. NO PROBLEM. Just updated all scenery showing 'red' in new FTX Central. NO PROBLEM. Had a BSOD but no apparent issues. Noticed that Walter Sutton was missing the files in it's scenery folder so reinstalled them but still no global scenery. I get a strange window opening that refers to my terrain.cfg when I open up the new FTX Central. I'm at a loss as I don't want to do a complete uninstall and install. 

Help?

Scott

I'll read further but if anyone can help that would be great. Here is something that might help. This shows up when I open up the new FTX Central...

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Orbx.Common.SettingsHelper.GetString(String name) at ORBX .Common.SettingsHelper.GetValue[T](String name) at Orbx.FTXCentral.MainWindow..ctor0

I'll read further but if anyone can help that would be great. Here is something that might help. This shows up when I open up the new FTX Central...

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Orbx.Common.SettingsHelper.GetString(String name) at ORBX .Common.SettingsHelper.GetValue[T](String name) at Orbx.FTXCentral.MainWindow..ctor0

Hi Scott,

What is the exact message you are receiving about terrain.cfg?

Can you please try deleting the following file:

%localappdata%\Orbx\ftxc.json

That should reset your settings file which should get rid of the settings message.

If it doesn't work, can you send me your orbx.log file please? It can be found at %localappdata%\Orbx\orbx.log

John:  I wonder if one of the Mods might help as I have the same issue.

Even more I cannot find the terrain.cfg which makes it harder.

Hi Ian,

Which issue are you having specifically?

With Prepar3D v2.5, the terrain.cfg is located at %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\terrain.cfg

Ben,

once again I need to ask, as a non-programmer.  How I find the files you reference with text like "%localappdata%\Orbx\ftxc.json, %localappdata%\Orbx\orbx.log, and %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\terrain.cfg" 

A step by step explanation would sure help.  I know I asked the question before but unfortunately for me I'm still unable to determine how to 'find' a file with the references you quote.

Sorry to butt into this thread but it just seems to make it clearer to me to ask at the 'horses mouth'.

Thanks again

Hi Spud,

click on the Windows Start button in the lower left corner, then copy and paste one of the links above into its search window, and the corresponding file name should show up. Right-click on the file name and select "open file location", which brings up a new Explorer window of the folder this file resides in.

Alternatively, copy only the part without the actual file name, e.g., "%localappdata%\Orbx\" then paste that into the top of your Explorer window (where the current folder path is displayed), and it'll switch to that location.

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

once again 'into the breach'.  Thanks for the rapid resopnse.  I thought it had something in common with the the search box but now I'm certain.  Now when I read Ben's responses I'll know exactly where to find those files etc.'

"then paste that into the top of your Explorer window"  Holger bite your tounge,   >:D   ^-^   Explorer is a non-entity for me.  I assume that you can do the same with FireFox?

Thanks again.

New question!

Uhoh!

well now I'm totally confused.

I copied and pasted %localappdata%\Orbx\ftxc.json into the Start/search box and the result was:

'ftxc.json', with what looks like a page on the left side of the text but still no way to know where the file in question can be found.  If I click on the ftxc.json I get a 'Windows can't open this file' error.

Pasting '%localappdata%\Orbx\' into the search box above the folder directory list in Firefox produces a blank list of where all the folders were previously listed.

Hi Scott,

What is the exact message you are receiving about terrain.cfg?

Can you please try deleting the following file:

%localappdata%\Orbx\ftxc.json

That should reset your settings file which should get rid of the settings message.

If it doesn't work, can you send me your orbx.log file please? It can be found at %localappdata%\Orbx\orbx.log

Hi Ian,

Which issue are you having specifically?

With Prepar3D v2.5, the terrain.cfg is located at %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\terrain.cfg

Ben, I'm unable to find the file %localappdata%\Orbx\ftxc.json. It didn't show up in the search box. Can you tell me where it's located? Also, where is the orbx.log file? In reference to the terrain.cfg message, I don't recall since I had only one instance where it was part of a message that no longer is showing up. It was after trying to open FTX Central 2. Now when I open this up I get a very large window with a lot of 'stuff' on it followed by the previously mentioned message in a second window. If you want I can attach an image of the first message since it won't allow me to copy/paste the text.

Spud, for some reason you made me laugh, (I needed that) I love a good humoured post. I knew it was headed south when you wrote FireFox, and these 2 Quotes, the forum needs lighter moments occasionally.

Holger bite your tounge,   >:D   ^-^  

Uhoh!

Hi Scott,

If you copy this text  %localappdata%\Orbx\ftxc.json  then go then to your Windows Start Button, look for the "search box" at the bottom of the menu left side, paste the blue text in there, it should bring up a file called ftxc.json  you can right click that file and select  "Open File Location" it will take you to the folder where it is located on your system.  

The Orbx.log can be found in the same manner by inserting this text in the search box %localappdata%\Orbx\orbx.log 

Both the Orbx.log and ftxc.json will be in that same folder location.

Hi Scott,

If you copy this text  %localappdata%\Orbx\ftxc.json  then go then to your Windows Start Button, look for the "search box" at the bottom of the menu left side, paste the blue text in there, it should bring up a file called ftxc.json  you can right click that file and select  "Open File Location" it will take you to the folder where it is located on your system.  

Hi Jeff that's exactly what I did and got nothing. I don't have a clue!

Scott et al,

welcome to my 'pea pickin' world, or should that be 'peabrained' in my case :wacko: .  Although Holger has patiently explained how to use these esoteric references I stuck in 1986 I guess.  I too need a simple to follow, although long to type actual location to find files.

Sort of like having more than one Water Buffalo on the front, its overpowered with two.

I see another post has been made in the thread.  I'll go read and see if I can become more confused.

Well Scott,

don't feel lonly.  It did bring up the file along with a list of four folders:

FTXCentral

Products

Simulators

Temp

and two files one of which is the one in question (ftxc.json).

ftxc.json

orbx.log

Looking at the top box I can see the path to the file there.  At least part of the location starting with my User Name.  After six more clicks I can open the folder where the file is actually located.

I think I'll just find the file name using the Start/search box and then start Agent Ransack and search my HD for that file.  Seems much easier to me that way.

Dang IT!! I just hate it when this #$9*!@ black box proves smarter than I are!

Hi Scott,

The actual location on my system is this C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Orbx   the shorthand %......% is just a quicker way of getting to the file through "Windows search"

Have you tried to just search your C: drive for Orbx.log or ftxc.json  you can do this from your, My Computer search facility or just go to your C:\Users\{your user acct name}\Appdata\Local\Orbx folder they should be in there.

One other thing which might be stopping the full search - are you logged into the Main admin account on your machine, and have a "checkbox" in > My Computer > Tools >Folder options >Search tab "include subfolders in search results, when searching in file folders" Also do you have a "bullet" in the same > Folder options >View Tab> "Show hidden files folders & drives"

Hi Scott,

The actual location on my system is this C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Orbx   the shorthand %......% is just a quicker way of getting to the file through "Windows search"

Have you tried to just search your C: drive for Orbx.log or ftxc.json  you can do this from your, My Computer search facility or just go to your C:\Users\{your user acct name}\Appdata\LocalOrbx folder they should be in there.

One other thing which might be stopping the full search - are you logged into the Main admin account on your machine, and have a "checkbox" in > My Computer > Tools >Folder options >Search tab "include subfolders in search results, when searching in file folders" Also do you have a "bullet" in the same > Folder options >View Tab> "Show hidden files folders & drives"

Hi Jeff, I'll find it when I get home later. Sadly I can't play 24/7. I thought I looked in that location before I left but could be wrong.

Hi Scott,

Have you tried to just search your C: drive for Orbx.log or ftxc.json  you can do this from your, My Computer search facility or just go to your C:\Users\{your user acct name}\Appdata\Local\Orbx folder they should be in there.

Hi Jeff, deleting the file as Ben originally suggested worked like a charm. I have a couple final questions if anyone could possibly answer.

1-Can I and should I uninstall the original FTC Central?

2-Any thoughts on what might have caused this issue?

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Glad you are back on track, although full credit is due to Ben McClintock.  

1-Can I and should I uninstall the original FTC Central?

2-Any thoughts on what might have caused this issue?

To answer these 2 questions.

1- I think it is OK to leave the Old FTXCentral in place and just work with FTXCentralv2 from now on, there is no uninstall routine afaik except that when I installed FTXCv2 it automatically removed the old FTXC for me. I presume you have an Icon for FTXCv2 on your desktop at this time, you can just delete the old FTXC Icon.

2- I suspect the reason for the glitch, and its only my opinion, stems from a recent MS update that installed some telemetry tools for the new Win10 pre-launch data collection, the telemetry update caused a problem within the system files folder affecting .json files and Jscript in Visual C++, causing OS faults when running SFC scans, marking them as unrepairable. There has been an attempt by MS to repair this in the most recent update with KB3068708 which reinstalls all the Win10 upgrade components that people have been trying to remove and supposedly the repaired telemetry tools.

Archived