FSX:SE Compatibility/installation confusion...

Hi everyone...

I know this question has been asked before by a large majority and also, I know there is a pinned thread specifically for this question. However, there are many conflicting answers that make it confusing to understand what is the best method to be able to get complete harmonious installations!

Ok, I have Windows 7 with FSX boxed version and FSX:SE purchased just today.

I have a drive partition (F:) that is dedicated for anything Flight Sim related. So I have FSX legacy installed to F: drive and I have the Orbx FTX EU: England installed and is working fine. FSX:SE is also installed into the F: drive.

The Orbx Central program acknowledges this. However, I can't get Orbx scenery to work on the FSX:SE version. I've tried simply copying the files into the Scenery folder, no luck. I've tried doing this through FSX:SE interface and adding a new scenery area, this didnt work.

And I can't reinstall Orbx over the top of the current installation as it detects the FSX legacy installation folder by default and not the new FSX:SE directory and I can't browse to it either.

I have NOT tried:- 

- uninstalling legacy version and applying Orbx to FSX:SE then reinstalling legacy version

- registry clean (as of yet), this is part of my weekly PC maintenance using 'CCLeaner'

Any tips are appreciated... I know this is becoming a repetitive question but I would like a definitive answer :)

Hi Stratfordben

Please add your product order numbers to your signature as per forum rules. :)

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/1157-important-notice-please-add-your-order-to-your-sig-for-support/

Thanks

Doug

IMHO...there is no definitive answer to your issue...and trying to install and run two versions of FSX on the same system is just self inflicted abuse.... :)

The policy is that there is no support for FTX products in FSX Steam when it is

installed with FSX.There is plenty of support for either simulator on its own.

This is for good reason, as without a good understanding of editing registry

entries and .xml files, the two cannot be made to work side by side.

Even with this understanding I can say from personal experience that it soon

becomes not worth the effort.

Other users have been kind enough to post works around.

Support is freely available otherwise but as Doug has said, you will need to

provide at least one order number to avail yourself of it.

Well upon creating my account it said if the product numbers were not known/I didnt have one I didnt need to enter it and to put NA? I don't own the scenery pack, my grandad does and it seems to have been a waste of money if it can't be installed to my versions of FSX. If the installer allowed us to reinstall and choose the FSX:SE directory, that would eliminate the problem and allow customers to use the scenery packages on both copies and then a new reg entry could be made for FTX EU: England under a different file path or some other unique identifier to allow it to co-exist... I'm afraid I've not found this forum very helpful, especially from 2 senior members of the forums providing answers... well, one of whom providing an answer, the other 'telling me off'. If you have to add a product number, it shouldn't tell you to put NA if you dont have one...

and trying to install and run two versions of FSX on the same system is just self inflicted abuse.... 

I disagree.. It is completely feasible, hence why the FSX:SE reg entry has a co-exist boolean, if it was a bad idea to have the two installed together, they wouldn't have added this to allow users to have dual installations.

I don't own the scenery pack, my grandad does and it seems to have been a waste of money if it can't be installed to my versions of FSX.

If your grandad owns it then why would you be installing it to your version of FSX?

If your grandad owns it then why would you be installing it to your version of FSX?

I'm not... its just easier to say "my" system rather than explaining from the outset... I could install it on my system, with his permission. Given that I have access to the serial number etc. So I dont see why its of concern. 

And I understand the installer shipped with Orbx scenery doesnt support installing to another FSX directory but, as with additional aircraft (payware and freeware), a user should be able to simply copy the scenery files Orbx installs to the steam directory. The reason for posting was that somebody could be helpful enough to reply with an actual answer of how to do this.

And again, upon creating my account, it clearly stated that if 'I' didnt have a serial number or couldnt locate it, to simply put NA in that field. Hence it says "NA".

A few things to add here.

- sharing of registration details for installing on different systems is forbidden

- we do not cater for our installers to be installed "anywhere" they use the registration information for setup paths. To allow for a FSX:SE option as a well a FSX original would mean re-doing all our 100+installers, not happening

- any support question from you in future will require a order number posted as in the link I provided above, clear?

Archived