Collie (YCOI) elevation problem

Ticker7

Hi Guys this isn't a major thing but after I'd done a real world flight to Collie (YCOI) in Western Australia I thought I'd do it in the sim to see how close it was.

On arriving at Collie I noticed it was shown as a brownish dry grass look strip when in fact it's tarmac, on landing I sank underground for most of the runway but popped up again at the taxiway and last part of the runway,

I have checked the following on my system.

1. Traffic 360 airport facilities (not listed)

2. ORBX (ALL scenery folders)  not listed

3. All My addon scenery folders (not listed )

4. The configuration tool airport elevation lists (Not listed)

So after spending quite a bit of time I haven't found the culprit that's giving me this problem so if anyone has any ideas as to what I could try I'm more than happy to give 'em a go.

and yes I have All updates,patches and latest lib files installed

Hi there,

FTX AU does not change any of the default airports so it's probably a conflict with one or more add-ons for YCOI. I'd suggest running a Windows search of your entire FSX folder tree for all .bgl files that include YCOI as part of their names and then see what pops up.

Cheers, Holger

I don't have it listed in my scenery either (I have AU-SP4).  However, a small strip marker does show up in Plan-G, which implies it's a 'painted on' runway.

Collie.th.jpg

However, when I fly to where it's marked there is only forest, which is a bit strange.

2015-5-25_16-46-6-673.th.jpg

Maybe you added an OZx or other version?  Is it in your scenery list?

Can you maybe throw up a screenshot or two?

Collie was an area done in PR by one of the subscribers at Ozx I believe.. it comprises the airport and a couple of industrial areas (Mines I think) a search at Ozx should bear fruit. Teecee

Click on Screenshot for a larger view.

CollieWA.jpg

Hi Guys thanks for the input with this challenge, this is what I've done so far.

removed all ycoI scenery from the FSX library, checked for any files for the airport and restarted the sim and this is the result.

April262015-2015-may-26-001.jpg

the runway is solid in that I don't sink but see through as you can see, there are mounds still and the hangars are half buried. Any more suggestions to resolve this and yes I know that you guys have way more important things to do so I don't mind waiting til you have time to help.

Well I've not sorted this out yet and I don't expect any more replies so you may as well mark this as pending just in case somebody comes along with a solution.

Thanks to those that tried ;-)

I activated Oceania region and have OZx sceneries installed.  There is no entry for YCOI in the Go To menu of FSX.  However a search for YCOI does come up with the following files.   I went to the coordinates shown on jabble's screenshot but only see forest.   Can you give me a set of coordinates or maybe TeeCee will you post yours please?

0fc6f2595a5a67ea67db55d0bd4252ba.jpg

Collie and it's associated mines are at roughly S33 21.54 E116 11.73. I am fairly sure (but not certain) that I found the PR scenery at Ozx, but I will get back to you re that. Teecee.

Here it is on GE.

CollieWA17c6a.jpg

You beat me to it TeeCee I just got the co-ords

coordinatescollie.jpg

I am using the OzX scenery  and have removed it from my system and re downloaded and reinstalled several times but the result is the same. I have removed Traffic360 enties and anything that I thought may conflict but no change so I'm sorta stuck as to what would give me these humps n bumps but I'm sure we'll find it

Hi Ticker7

I have FTX Au Sp4 and Ozx 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3. With Ozx turned off in the scenery library, I get this image from the location of Collie Airport.

Collie4.jpg

In Google Earth this is what Collie Airport looks like. As you can see, the full length of the runway is sealed but if you look closely, you can see that the area from the threshold of runway 10 to the turn off to the apron and at the runway 28 threshold have a different colour to the remainder of the runway. This indicates that the darker colour of the runway was recently sealed.

Collie1.jpg

When I turn on Ozx again and go to Collie which first appeared in Ozx 3.0 in October 2009, I get this top down view. It shows the area from the turn off to the apron to the threshold of runway 28 being dirt, which it probably was in 2009 when the scenery was designed by an Ozx developer at the time, Mitchell.

Collie2.jpg

As to your elevation problems, the only thing I can suggest is if you have Vector turned on, the turn it off while flying in Aussie. It apparently causes problems all around Australia.

Here is a screenshot from the apron area and I have not got any elevation problems. This problem should be addressed on the Ozx forum, not Orbx as the scenery was not developed by them.

Collie3.jpg

Cheers

Bernie

I do not think that OZX ever released this A/P, and to be honest I do not remember who created the PR, so I cannot post the files here, but Tickler, if you email me I can send you copies without breaching copyright. Tick on my Photo Icon to get the email.

One point, I have always thought that there were too many trees in the Collie ares in Orbx, I am glad to see from GE and the RL photo that this is not the case. Teecee.

Hi guys,

I just reinstalled all the OZx AUS sceneries   1,2,3, and 4 and have Collie showing with all it's PR and airport.  Here's a screen at the airport.  I also have AUS SP4 installed, Vector 1.3 ( but Vector 1.3 doesn't show because of the region).   The town of Collie is in the right spot too.   I had to start at YBUN and fly East to get there.  There isn't a Go To menu item for YCOI.  No elevation issues.  I'm flying around the mines area right now and all I can say is that someone put in a lot of time and effort into this scenery!  Beautiful.  I'm glad you brought it up so we could go explore.

Coordinates are the same as TeeCee's

YCOI.jpg

Bernie I tried your suggestion re tuning vector off but it made no difference there is still the see through runway which is hard and the buildings are different to yours but some are half buried with vector off

Rob, Glad you like the area to fly in it's even better in real life as there are probably more trees than in the sim ;-)

Collieapproach.jpg

Archived