Question : Lost all external lights

Lawrence,

Running DX10?  Which aircraft?

Yes, my FSD Pilatus Porter's landing lights are temperamental, but I don't suppose this is your problem.

No dx10.....all aircraft.

Not a hint of a problem beforehand.

I thought I'd ask if possibly someone else had seen this weirdo event.

I also run p3dv5, and it is fine.  

I have an inkling that if I did a repair on FSX it would probably fix it.......but that is an engraved invitation to chaos.  

No dx10.....all aircraft.

Not a hint of a problem beforehand.

I thought I'd ask if possibly someone else had seen this weirdo event.

I also run p3dv5, and it is fine.  

I have an inkling that if I did a repair on FSX it would probably fix it.......but that is an engraved invitation to chaos.  

I've never heard of that happening while running DX9.  Hopefully, someone has heard of this before.

Could be that some addon affected your light effects, installed something recently ?

The only thing prior to this happening was that I downloaded and installed a freebee aircraft ( a 2004/fsx converted Vickers Vicount).

Didn't like it and uninstalled it sucessfully.

It had its own install program which worked well, as did the bird.

If my lights went with it I did not notice until this morning.

So if that could be responsible, how in heck could it wipe out the outside lights on all 27 birds I have on my system ??

The only thing prior to this happening was that I downloaded and installed a freebee aircraft ( a 2004/fsx converted Vickers Vicount).

Didn't like it and uninstalled it sucessfully.

It had its own install program which worked well, as did the bird.

If my lights went with it I did not notice until this morning.

So if that could be responsible, how in heck could it wipe out the outside lights on all 27 birds I have on my system ??

Don't know enough about 2004, but it's possible a messy uninstaller wiped the data/settings for all the lights instead of just its own.  In which case a FSX repair should fix it.  Of course if it's something else, that may make things worse... :wacko:

Nevertheless, that's what I'd try, for lack of any better ideas.

FSX repair caveat! 

When you do an FSX repair you first need to uninstall Acceleration and when FSX is repaired it WILL re-install the FSX default scenery textures wiping out your Global replacement textures if you have Global installed.   So un-install Acceleration, Repair FSX and then re-install Global.  So its not as simple as it seems at first.

FSX repair caveat! 

When you do an FSX repair you first need to uninstall Acceleration and when FSX is repaired it WILL re-install the FSX default scenery textures wiping out your Global replacement textures if you have Global installed.   So un-install Acceleration, Repair FSX and then re-install Global.  So its not as simple as it seems at first.

It never is!  I think FSX repair would be my absolute last resort if everything else fails.

An even bigger FSX repair caveat:

The way that the repair works is that it references every file in your directory with the files on the discs, if there is a mismatch then it will overwrite with the original files. This can break many addons if they swap in files that replace the defaults. Global and Trees HD are examples of these along with REX and any other sort of mass texture replacer.

One thing that's maybe worth trying - create a dummy fsx folder, and try reinstalling that Viscount into it.  It might fail or complain about missing folders & files, or it might be smart enough to create what it needs.  If so, that might give clues as to what files it has removed.

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me just a couple of weeks ago: installed the AH Globe Swift demo, decided it wasn't for me so uninstalled it.  Then realised that my external lights weren't activating.  Transpires there was a problem with the supplied uninstaller which wiped 4/5ths of my Effects folder out.  Copied over my backed-up Effects folder - problem solved.   Just glad I didn't go down the 'Repair' route - heard too many horror stories to risk that  ;D

For what its worth Lawrence, I noticed the same problem last night. Unfortunately I have been installing quite a bit of stuff recently with a weeks holiday in between so the aging grey cells are struggling to recall exactly what. The two major programs installed in recent past are FS global Americas Ultimate Mesh and last night an update for ASN. I am running DX10. It was late when I discovered the fault so did not do a lot of checks but interestingly, aerosoft Beaver, A2A 172 and carenado C185 were affected but the Aeroplane Heaven Globe Swift was displaying external lights but very dim.

regards Reg

Just seen KevinJH`s post above. That sounds interesting in view of my findings, will have to try look at the effects folder.

I am going to be a "PITA" here, again the topic title gives no indication of the problem. I would have titled "lost all my external acft lights in FSX". That way when someone else has this problem it would be easier to search for an answer rather than create another topic.:):)

Archived