New Trees and Sedona Coincidence?

bailout3

I purchased Sedona and downloaded the free HD Trees recently and both products are great but I have noticed some blurring and in some cases black squares occurring in various locations with both global vector and in regions. This is something new to me and I don't know why this would occur now. I am not running the speediest system but had no problems before these downloads. I'm sure the Sedona DL would have no bearing on this  but  the HD trees has me wondering especially with the blurries. I reduced the frame rates to under 40 in case that might have an effect but it doesn't. The blurries occur even though the frame rates are 20's or 30's. I will probably  uninstall the trees to see if this corrects the situation but thought I would check in here first as my computer knowledge is rather limited in this area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I hate to admit it but I don't know what LOD is nor where to look for it?

Where would I find it?

I will say I do see an improvement with my frame rates but if this LOD adjustment will rid the blurries that would be great. Just point me to it please.

You need to look in your sim FSX or P3D cfg . Find LOD_RADIUS= and change the figures that are there to 6.50000 or whatever is recommended by others. You can open the FSX.cfg or P3D cfg and go to "edit" option choose "look for" and just Enter LOD and keep hitiing the "next" option until you come across LOD_RADIUS.

Actually I still haven't found LOD. I went in to FSX and clicked on Config but found nothing there as described. I didnt see an edit option or look for. Maybe I'm not in the right place?

Using Windows Explorer, go to the folder C:\Users\(your Window User name)\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX where you will find the FSX.cfg file which can be opened with Notepad or any other text editor.

To see that folder, you will need to tick on 'show hidden files/folders' under Windows folder options and of course, remember to make a backup of the FSX.cfg first

Also, you need to know that if you make any changes to the graphics using the menus in FSX itself, this will change the LOD_RADIUS back to 4.5 in the FSX.cfg file.

FSX.cfg can be found on your PC here:

C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Find:

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 

<==> change this value to 9.500000 if you wish, but stand by for some graphics anomalies if your system ain't up for the stress.

<==> 4.5  being the default FSX Level of detail Radius: = 4.5 (Large) setting, as set by the FSX scenery terrain and water panel slider, full to the right.

This can be increased to extend the LOD_Radius beyond 4.5 nautical miles from your Aircraft to a moderate 6.5 nm where visual acuity diminishes naturally toward the horizon.

9.5 nm would be extreme IMHO particularly for FSX, although I have not tested this myself it would be a strain on hardware resources to maintain VAS and FPS under this extreme setting under normal flying situations.

Caution must be observed when using extreme LOD_Radius settings such as 9.500000. Many systems will protest @ 6.500000 let alone 8.500000 or 9.500000  in FSX.

If you want a closer look at those pretty rock textures with more detail, fly closer to the object. LOD_Radius only increases the clear view of scenery from your aircraft & eye point further from your aircraft position. I don't see how it could improve close up textures. (But I could always be wrong). 

LOD won't fix it anyway. If you crank it up above 6 or so ground textures under your plane will likely blur. FFTF is the number to play with....if it's set to .33 try .20. Lock the frames at 30.

From the book according to ACES,  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555738

I too have also noticed blurry ground textures recently after installing Sedona and HD trees...coincidence? , not far but near the plane especially flying in PNW

Hey guys,

Double J is correct - if you are experiencing ground blurries up close, cranking up the LOD level will only exasperate the blurries further. A good rule of thumb is that increasing the LOD will increase the detail/clarity of terrain in the distance, but at the expense of more probable ground blurries close to your aircraft/point of view. 

Bailout - if you have a non-SSD harddrive, a good thing to try is a defrag of the drive your FSX is installed to. As many of our products are quite large in file size, running the drefrag after installation will make sure that your disk is performing at it's peak, thereby reducing loading times and the likelihood of ground blurries. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thanks for all the info. I will try a defrag since I haven't done one in quite a while. It seems by lowering my framerates to just over 30 I haven't experienced any bluries however I have only been flying relatively low and slow in a PA28. I will have to try a DH8 or faster and see what happens.

Keep you posted

I just checked and it says my OS is just 1% fragmented

Recovery 0% frag.

System 17% frag. 

Should I still defrag?

Archived