Future Product Suggestion: Route 66

JamesSR

Inspired by the DVD Flying Route 66 by acclaimed aviation photojournalist Russel Munson, I propose that Orbx put on their to-do list the development of a North American scenic destination or terrain region that features the historic U.S. Route 66 highway, known as the Will Rogers Memorial Highway and colloquially known as the Main Street of America or the Mother Road.

The highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois to Santa Monica, California, and although officially removed from the United States Highway System, portions of the old road have been preserved and/or restored as a monument to the importance of Route 66 in America's cultural heritage. It currently features many interesting historical sites, both renovated and in various states disrepair, which are as interesting viewed from a low and slow flight as by car - maybe more so.

I understand that the original footprint of the highway is quite large and would be a big undertaking, but only a corridor along the currently revitalized sections and nearby airfields need be included, and the existing sections naturally lend themselves to a section-by-section development strategy.

I have been a Route 66 enthusiast for over 25 years and driven much of the historic route in Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. I have long dreamed of driving the entire route, but have only recently been inspired by the idea of flying it. Does anyone else think this would be a good idea? Google U.S. Route 66 for more information or check out the National Historic Route 66 Federation website.

This is a really interesting idea. I could see just having the airfields and restored areas of interest done along the flight path, instead of a long skinny region, so to speak.

Like the Route 66 Airfield pack or something. A global set to celebrate the release of Open LC NA ;D

Even if it's not all of them, a collection of the best small airfields along the route would give a nice preset flight plan. A great way to show off Open LC NA when it hits.

I just have to say it again....I really like the idea. Sometimes I look at all my orbx airports, and ponder where I want to go.

Having a bunch of airfields along a famous touring route kinda makes it easy to decide. ^-^

I hope someone at least considers this idea. Kudos to jsrickel for coming up with it.

This is certainly outside the box, a long skinny scenery instead of a blob of a region.  Interesting idea.

That somehow limits the ways you could fly in it. How about a long skinny scenery, combined with the very first ORBX mission in history, in order to increase the attraction and immersion?

Maybe while they're at it, they'll do Petticoat Junction and 77 Sunset Strip...  :blink:

Or a choo-choo route to Chattanooga... ;)

It is an interesting idea, though - a theme pack which connects a series of airports.  In some ways this is what Jacksons AYPY does, though there the theme is bush flying rather than a geographic-cultural concept.  However, I'd far rather do Route 66 in some sort of road simulator which does justice to the original idea, though I've no idea if there's any suitable engine out there.  A few years back there was Fuel, an open-world driving sim, though it never seemed to catch on.

If Route 66, a Harley Davidson is mandatory ;)

8)

180914easyriderw.th.jpg

Edit:

Actually, what about a fictional airport somewhere on Route 66, Cushman Meadows style?  It could have a strong theme about it, e.g. Harleys and chrome-grilled Cadillacs parked outside, a classic '50s diner to buy that $100 hamburger, all static planes are vintage, etc.  Now that I would buy!

Or a choo-choo route to Chattanooga... ;)

It is an interesting idea, though - a theme pack which connects a series of airports.  In some ways this is what Jacksons AYPY does, though there the theme is bush flying rather than a geographic-cultural concept.  However, I'd far rather do Route 66 in some sort of road simulator which does justice to the original idea, though I've no idea if there's any suitable engine out there.  A few years back there was Fuel, an open-world driving sim, though it never seemed to catch on.

There are many driving games out there and a person cant really buy and try them all. Fuel sounds like something I would have enjoyed.

I loved the first test Drive Unlimited and the second one wasn't bad. Theres a new one but it seems largely an online multiplayer game and I just want to drive fast cars in attractive, realistic environments.

But as far as a Route66 flying scenery, Id rather have the Florida Keys.

I'm going to quit asking for new Orbx scenery until after those in the pipeline have been delivered. Awaiting San Francisco Cityscape, Southern California, and OpenLC North America. After I have those installed I'll ask Santa for something more.

Noel

I already have more Orbx scenery than I know what to do with, and it's only a small chunk of what's currently available.

I have it all and it never gets old. You go fly all Palm Springs and Sedona for a while, and then remember old favories in PNW, then you think of England, and Alaska, and Norway and NZ.... and on and on. I got 100+ payware airports and some of them I have flown only once or twice. To me they are almost all still new. I love that.

I'm going to quit asking for new Orbx scenery until after those in the pipeline have been delivered. Awaiting San Francisco Cityscape, Southern California, and OpenLC North America. After I have those installed I'll ask Santa for something more.

I am the same way. The possibilities are endless. The talented artists and modelers, and the time they have to devote to this, however, are rather finite. So I just try real hard now to 'want what I got' and not worry about 'getting what I want'.

There are many driving games out there and a person cant really buy and try them all. Fuel sounds like something I would have enjoyed.

I loved the first test Drive Unlimited and the second one wasn't bad. Theres a new one but it seems largely an online multiplayer game and I just want to drive fast cars in attractive, realistic environments.

But as far as a Route66 flying scenery, Id rather have the Florida Keys.

There are indeed many driving games, but almost all of them are track-based, not open world.  For most of  them, I don't think it would be feasible to create a scenario of the size required - effectively a long, thin track far bigger than the largest racetrack.  Plus towns and other areas of interest; furthermore, we'd probably want to interact with the scenery in ways racing games can't.  Just now we're seeing the advent of "walking simulator" games, which allow a reasonably interactive exploration of the game world - maybe that idea will evolve into a driving equivalent.  After all, nowadays we seem to have simulators for just about everything else...

That said, the Route 66 idea is an intriguing one. Too big for a region, that is for sure.

It is least worth a string of FTX Global freeware airports -- something to show off the upcoming North America Open LC.

Archived