Can somebody help me pick out some airports for Global?

I was thinking of buying Global since I just got a ton of money... Now the dilemma I face. For a good year or so I've been confined to ORBX regions and have just bought what I could inside of them. Now I have all of America! Talk about sensory overload! There's so much to buy now, so many places to fly! I just don't know where to start!

I was considering,

- Las Vegas Mccarran or Denver 

- ORBX Palm Springs or Monterrey

I'm kinda leaning towards Monterrey and Vegas, but I'm still unsure. Anybody able to help?

I don't know what  you mean by Global but Global Base will not bring you America, just prettier textures the world over. Only the OpenLC NA addon to Global will really help. Adding Vector and a good mesh to Global Base already brings some semblance of the US terrain however (not enough for me, just my opinion).

Monterrey which is within OrbX NCA (as is Redding another excellent OrbX airport) and Palm Springs which will be in OrbX SoCal are very good choices. I suspect that Las Vegas may have some kind of a special treatment (just a hunch, I dont have any insider info :lol: !) with Socal.

For non OrbX sceneries (Las Vegas and Denver) check that they don't encompass a photo imagery of the area around the airport which would look terrible laid upon Global.

I fly on Pilotedge a lot, so Palm Springs is an absolute must.  Sedona is amazing as well and a nice hop over from PSP, and adding the Monument Valley scenery pack gives you another nice strip for GA flights.

Monterrey is actually in the Northern California full region, though right at the edge  Not sure if it works works with just Global.

For Non-Orbx stuff, I've got 29Palms KTNP which has a free addon pack to blend it with Global and looks great.  I've also got LatinVFR KSNA, which looks wonderful but has serious framerate issues in the middle of Orange County.  I just picked up a few Sim720 airports - Avalon, Santa Barbara, and McClellan-Palomar also.  KSBA is pretty hard on the framerate also, but again that may just be the heavy autogen in the area.  The other two run fine.  They're not up to the same quality as Orbx airports, and don't blend particularly well, but they're definitely a lot better than stock.

I've also installed the Grand Canyon and Death Valley scenery from OzX.  That's free and brilliant.

I only plan on doing airliner flying outside of regions, so is vector really necessary? And can somebody explain what they mean about satellite imagery blending poorly?

Ah, in that case scratch Mountain AIr, which is a bit too short for that!

Vector gives better roads, rivers, coastlines, power lines, etc.  It depends what you want to see, I suppose.  Global is geared up to work with landclass scenery; this is what gives trees, buildings, ground textures, etc.  That's a different tech from photoscenery, which essentially superimposes satellite photos directly on the mesh, much like Google Earth does.  Landclass is usually preferred by low 'n' slow fliers who want such 3D details, while photoscenery can look good at higher altitudes where that doesn't matter. If you try to mix the two, it can clash badly as the photoscenery overrides the textures, looking unnatural, and the boundaries are sudden rather than blended.

Ah, in that case scratch Mountain AIr, which is a bit too short for that!

Vector gives better roads, rivers, coastlines, power lines, etc.  It depends what you want to see, I suppose.  Global is geared up to work with landclass scenery; this is what gives trees, buildings, ground textures, etc.  That's a different tech from photoscenery, which essentially superimposes satellite photos directly on the mesh, much like Google Earth does.  Landclass is usually preferred by low 'n' slow fliers who want such 3D details, while photoscenery can look good at higher altitudes where that doesn't matter. If you try to mix the two, it can clash badly as the photoscenery overrides the textures, looking unnatural, and the boundaries are sudden rather than blended.

Yeah, I mean, maybe when I get more money I'll buy some smaller fields for Global, but as of now, since not many airports are upgraded, I don't see the point of GA outside regions which are perfect for low and slow. My whole reason for buying Global is so I can do airliners outside of regions.Is vector really necessary when I;m in the cockpit at 30,000?

. My whole reason for buying Global is so I can do airliners outside of regions.Is vector really necessary when I;m in the cockpit at 30,000?

I see that when Europe (and me) was asleep, Jabble has thoroughly explained what I meant in my post which was a bit too concise ;) , specially about the clash between Global textures terrain and sat imagery ! Your last point is interesting and very valid. We always assume that our fellow simmers have the same expectations and ways of simming than us. I should know better. I don't "need" Vector, it just makes my flying experience more real.

Even at FL 300,  I expect to see down below exact geographical features : rivers, shorelines, highways etc. Also remember that any aircraft going up, has to go down . While descending, you have an increasing detailed vision of the ground. Then, you will often fly, during your finals, over highways or rivers . Vector will bring them all.

If you plan on landing then yes  ::)  Vector will make a big difference as you descend towards the airport and there is a city there like it should be.

I may be mistaken, but Vector does not, as a rule, draw polygons for cities. Only OpenLC does.

Yeah, I mean, maybe when I get more money I'll buy some smaller fields for Global, but as of now, since not many airports are upgraded, I don't see the point of GA outside regions which are perfect for low and slow. My whole reason for buying Global is so I can do airliners outside of regions.Is vector really necessary when I;m in the cockpit at 30,000?

Well, the freeware airports span the whole gamut from rough strips (L41) right up to international airports (KBTV), so they're worth checking out even for tube fliers.  When I'm at 30,000ft (as a RL passenger, I should stress), I do like to peer down at the geography if the weather allows it.  Sometimes it's like a geography lesson on tarns, corries, oxbow lakes, etc.  In the (sim) cockpit, though, you may be far too busy with nav, comms & systems for that, so that level of detail may not matter.  Again, it just depends what you want to see.

Edit:

If you want to try out photoscenery, you could have a look at Bluesky's freeware, which is of excellent quality.

I must mention that I only plan on flying inland in the Colorado/Nevada area. I'd buy vector for coastlines, but I don't plan on flying in coastal regions, so would vector really be necessary for me at the moment? I may get some freeware mesh or try the FSGenesis mesh, I'd rather not spend money on the Pilots Global mesh for area I wouldn't even fly in.

And another question, Palm Springs, or Monterey?

I must mention that I only plan on flying inland in the Colorado/Nevada area. I'd buy vector for coastlines, but I don't plan on flying in coastal regions, so would vector really be necessary for me at the moment? I may get some freeware mesh or try the FSGenesis mesh, I'd rather not spend money on the Pilots Global mesh for area I wouldn't even fly in.

And another question, Palm Springs, or Monterey?

I found that Vector and Pilot's mesh very much improved canyons, rivers & lakes in that area, but again, that's for low-n-slow.

I know that if I just came into a "ton of money", as you put it, I wouldn't need help spending it.  You know what and where you fly better than anyone here...  ;)

What about a diamond-encrusted yoke and gold-plated pedals?  Saying as bath taps are so dictatorial and passé these days.... ;)

I know that if I just came into a "ton of money", as you put it, I wouldn't need help spending it.  You know what and where you fly better than anyone here...  ;)

Bruce, there's just too much to spend it on! There's so many places to fly... Just not enough money :(

Palm Springs, Monterrey and Sedona ::)

I'll hopefully be picking up one of these today,  it will be my first outside of Ireland/Uk Airport.  I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them But I think Sedona is the one to buy for now anyway,  here's my thinking on it,   as Sedona is the latest one out it will less likely be be on Sale anytime soon. So if a sale pops up you can then at least pick up the other 2 for the same price as one and you wont have to worry about Sedona,,,,  Yes i know i know i'm a genius   ::)

I'll hopefully be picking up one of these today,  it will be my first outside of Ireland/Uk Airport.  I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them But I think Sedona is the one to buy for now anyway,  here's my thinking on it,   as Sedona is the latest one out it will less likely be be on Sale anytime soon. So if a sale pops up you can then at least pick up the other 2 for the same price as one and you wont have to worry about Sedona,,,,  Yes i know i know i'm a genius   ::)

Well, it worked on me - just bought it!

i only have palm springs as far as global goes, but its a no brainer as far as quality,i imagine when north america lc comes out, many airports will start popping up.

I'm actually looking to get into developing some airports by where I live, Cleremont County and Moraine to be specific! Hopefully these will be better than my last attempts to get into scenery!

Can you comment on FPS at Palm Springs? It seems like it would be great in regards to performance since it's in the middle of nowhere!

$250 is a ton for a 16 year old! Then again I don't have a job yet and have already spent nearly half of it!

Could vector + global + OpenLC NA give favorable results?

Yes thats where I would start but wait for the sales if you can, an extra 30% off goes a long way

Could vector + global + OpenLC NA give favorable results?

Vector & Global do indeed give favourable results, and if OpenLC NA is anywhere near as good as the Europe one, then it'll be very much worth it too.  IMO a good mesh is also a must as it transforms default blobby landscapes into much more precise and interesting ones.  I use Pilot's 2010, and I'm very happy with it.  But again, all this presumes you want to see the scenery - if you spend your time staring at instruments, you'll not be looking at this.

Wait until you get in the real world and have bills to pay, like... rent... That $250 will keep a roof over your head for about a week.

On the contrary, forget this silliness. Enjoy being 16. Harsh reality isn't going anywhere, it will be there waiting when you are ready for it.

Yes, I think you will find that vector + global + OpenLC NA/EU?wherever will give favorable results, even if you are a tubeliner guy.

Can anybody recommend a good freeware mesh for the US/ Nevada?

Gobal coverage here http://simviation.com//fsx_terrainmesh.htm  but its a pain to download if your in a hurry however suprisingly the majority of it is very good mesh.  If I were you I would just get FSgenisis world mesh for $20 and then tweak that with some higher resolution stuff for specific areas from the link above

Gobal coverage here http://simviation.com//fsx_terrainmesh.htm  but its a pain to download if your in a hurry however suprisingly the majority of it is very good mesh.  If I were you I would just get FSgenisis world mesh for $20 and then tweak that with some higher resolution stuff for specific areas from the link above

Saw some 10m mesh, gonna try that! Thanks a ton!

Archived