Finall got the GTN750 Touchscreen monitor hooked up today!

Kilstorm

I received this monitor back in early Jan but couldnt get the touch screen to work so I thought it might be defective.  I sent it back it test okay so they sent it back to me at my request.  I still dont have the touch screen working but it does read when i touch it so its just a matter of working with a tech as to why as it should be on my computer end.

Well having returned from a 5 week vacation to be overwhelmed storm damage and more winter storms and such I finally got all caught up to install the new monitor.  This would require some modifications to my current panel so it wasnt just a simple install.  Even if I dont get the touch screen working, I love the extra monitor, its size and the ability to have 3 monitors, 1 HMDI, 1 DVI-I and 1 DVI-D ports are being used on my GTX680 video card.  This is in P3D.

Panel is removed.

DSC02094_zpsxrwxxgv8.jpg

One of the few mod's I hade to make

DSC02097_zpshdmhw7fn.jpg

Dry mounting the hardware

DSC02099_zpszuqld1wg.jpg

Installed!

DSC02100_zpsbue5wxd5.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

With the extra screen on the A2A planes I can use it for this prompt window:

DSC02102_zpsmnq4y0x3.jpg

Heres the Dash 8 where I have the FMC and the other screen put to it

DSC02103_zpshqzlp1km.jpg

DSC02104_zpsy3nqd79i.jpg

Nice mate. Ive been eyeing the GTN from Flight 1 for my next purchase

I see on the A2A forum that they have plans for the C172 and the Cherokee to have avionics stack options like their C182 in the next update. Milviz with my MD530F already support it.

Then all I need is for the aerosoft Twin Otter extended to officially support it

LP approaches over GPS waas here we come :)

It looks real good. This touch monitor for the gps display is just another monitor hooked to the graphic card and then you create a 2d view and move it there ? Sorry for the naive question, I've never been into cockpit building but that looks like a neat idea.

It looks real good. This touch monitor for the gps display is just another monitor hooked to the graphic card and then you create a 2d view and move it there ?

That is correct. Also you can then have the GTN750 in any aircraft that you want because all you have to do is add it to your 2d panel cfg file.

That is correct. Also you can then have the GTN750 in any aircraft that you want because all you have to do is add it to your 2d panel cfg file.

What do you mean by  "still dont have the touch screen working but it does read when i touch it ?"  It is the software interface with P3D which doesn't work ? 

Also is it a 15" 1024*768 ?

What do you mean by  "still dont have the touch screen working but it does read when i touch it ?"  It is the software interface with P3D which doesn't work ? 

Also is it a 15" 1024*768 ?

No its the 10" screen that is 1024*768.  Yeah not sure whats up with the touchscreen part. I feel its something to due with my computer settings that is preventing it to work correctly as its been tested and works but not on my computer in the touchscreen software, it shows there are no devices found.  Yet if I double touch the screen on the touch screen monitor I see the cursor in the same location I touched on the main monitor.  So if there is a shortcut on my desktop in that location it will open it up.

I'm thinking it might have something to due with the touchscreen not being labeled as the primary screen in my nvidia graphics setting for multi screens?!  I'm waiting on their support team to contact me back and try to determine what the issue is.

I'm thinking it might have something to due with the touchscreen not being labeled as the primary screen in my nvidia graphics setting for multi screens?!  I'm waiting on their support team to contact me back and try to determine what the issue is.

Yep thats it, I get it occasionally with my touch screen. Simply go to Nvidea and deselect the screen that is NOT your touch screen and click apply. That should re set it . Then go back and re select all your screens and it should work ok

Yep thats it, I get it occasionally with my touch screen. Simply go to Nvidea and deselect the screen that is NOT your touch screen and click apply. That should re set it . Then go back and re select all your screens and it should work ok

Zoran, please expand on this a bit more for me as it seems you have a good understanding of the issue.  Currently I have my setup like this:

1 is my big 60"

2 is my small 7"

3 is my Touchscreen 10"

So I need to deselect 1 and 2, push apply and then:

a) restart the computer, makes sure it works and then I can reselect the others screens back to the current order they are assigned

B) restart the computer, makes sure it works and then I can reselect the others screens back but leave the touchscreen as the primary screen changing the order of the screens

Thank you for any and all of your help.

Zoran, please expand on this a bit more for me as it seems you have a good understanding of the issue.  Currently I have my setup like this:

1 is my big 60"

2 is my small 7"

3 is my Touchscreen 10"

So I need to deselect 1 and 2, push apply and then:

a) restart the computer, makes sure it works and then I can reselect the others screens back to the current order they are assigned

8) restart the computer, makes sure it works and then I can reselect the others screens back but leave the touchscreen as the primary screen changing the order of the screens

Thank you for any and all of your help.

Just to confirm your issue is when you touch the touch screen the actual cursor appears on another screen? In any case how you describe it is 100% correct. Just make sure the touch screen is working as it should when its the only screen selected

Just to confirm your issue is when you touch the touch screen the actual cursor appears on another screen? 

Correct.  Will simplify it down to just the one screen and doing some testing to see what happens. Will be super stoked if thats the issue, it can be resolved and I can have the touch screen work for the GTN750 and any FMS/FMC that I put there plane depending.  Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Kilstrom,

I have been considering using the GTN750 on a separate touch screen but am not sure that it will work with my setup and the way I like to fly. I run four dell monitors at present. Three 24 in hi-rez dells through a digital Matrox Triplehead2go for the virtual cockpit view. A fourth 19 in Dell for things like ATC window etc. I don't want to modify the virtual cockpit layout that I use on the three larger monitors with a TrackIR Pro. I like to original cockpit look in each aircraft that I fly.

Is it possible to modify the 2D panels of aircraft without the 3D virtual cockpit layout being also modified? I would then like to take the 2D panel view and drag it to the 5th touch screen and use all of the GTN750 functions such as GPS, radios etc. That way I could control radios, GPS, autopilot etc without buying seperate modules. I would continue to fly with the original virtual cockpit view.

In the fall I will build a new computer with high end components specifically to run P3D. The GTN750 will run off the networked old computer (my present one). I have a registered copy of FSUIPC. Do you know if this is going to be feasible or am I out of line with what I would like to do?

Thanks in advance.

Kilstorm, I really like your home cockpit setup. I see that you have some 2d panels like the pfd and engine management of the majestic dash on your secondary monitors. Are those included in the majestic dash or some third party app?

I also have a small home setup with two usb monitors. My problem is that most payware planes don't have 2d panels anymore, like aerosofts airbus or the twin otter. So I can't use my secondary monitor for the Gauges like I originally intended. I tried to put a second 3d view showing the gauges on the second monitor, but rendering two 3d views kills performance obviously.

Kilstorm,

I just viewed your KSEV video and in fact you seem to be showing exactly what I was looking to do. That is, the cockpit panel in the video did not show a GTN in the panel but you were using the GTN750 on a touch screen and it seemed to function appropriately. Am I seeing this correctly or missing something important about how to make it function?

Thanks.

Kilstorm, I really like your home cockpit setup. I see that you have some 2d panels like the pfd and engine management of the majestic dash on your secondary monitors. Are those included in the majestic dash or some third party app?

I also have a small home setup with two usb monitors. My problem is that most payware planes don't have 2d panels anymore, like aerosofts airbus or the twin otter. So I can't use my secondary monitor for the Gauges like I originally intended. I tried to put a second 3d view showing the gauges on the second monitor, but rendering two 3d views kills performance obviously.

The Majestic Dash 8 has those as 2D panels (shift+2, shift+3 etc) so I just undock them, move them to the correct monitor and when I go from window mode to full screen mode I am all set.  Yes some planes do not have additional 2D window.  You can use the info from another plane to create a 2D window as example my putting a GTN750 into the PA-28 which doesnt have it, but more complex addons/gauges/planes might not work.

Kilstorm,

I just viewed your KSEV video and in fact you seem to be showing exactly what I was looking to do. That is, the cockpit panel in the video did not show a GTN in the panel but you were using the GTN750 on a touch screen and it seemed to function appropriately. Am I seeing this correctly or missing something important about how to make it function?

Thanks.

Yes it is easy to do.  Go to the plane you want to pull the gauge from and open up the panel cfg file in the panel folder of that plane.  You will see all the 2d windows (shift+2, Shift+3 etc). Simple copy the info of the gauge you want to use and replace it in the panel/plane you want to add that gauge in.  Your all set.  Instead of having to make a copy of the original panel file as a backup what I just do is use the // to deactivate the old gauge.  That way if I want to revert back I just remove what I added of the new gauge and remove the // and all good to go.

Hope this helps.

Kilstorm, which version of the majestic dash are you using? I see there are several versions, a pilot edition of the q400, a pro edition of the q300, a voice control set... do all of these have the 2d panels? What's the difference between the q300 and q400? I'm mainly a GA flyer but I'd like to try some short to medium range airliners. I thought about aerosofts airbus but the lack of decent 2d panels seems to make it unsuitable for my setup. Thanks in advance and sorry for being a little off topic...

Kilstorm,

I really like what you have done. I am searching down monitors and the Faytech looks like the best. Can you please tell me exactly which model that you have. There are a couple of choices and I feel that the safe thing to do would be to mirror that which is working for you. 

Thanks.

Thanks Kilstorm. I just ordered one.

For the most part, its plug and play in windows 7. Only thing I had to do was make it the primary screen for a bit for the touch part to work. I have 3 screens and after letting it be the primary screen for a bit, am now back to my main screen being the primary and the other two are there and work as they should. Also if you make it protrait like it should be, the settings for that is 768x1024 which will be in the nvidia settings for resolution. Enjoy..its a great addition to any simpit!

Kilstorm,

I have a very similar setup, with a 12" touch screen dedicated to the GTN 750. My problem is that, as you mentioned, you have to use it in portrait mode. If I do this, P3D would systematically crash when starting. My touch screen resolution is 800 x 600, but I have seen the same problem with another touch screen I have, which is 1024 x 768. Someone on another forum had the same issue, until he got a monitor with a higher resolution. From there we inferred that P3D does not like any configuration with the actual horizontal resolution being lower than 800 pixels.

Did you run into this issue? Do you have any suggestion by any chance?

Note that the same configuration works just fine in FSX. I am currently using an nVidia GTX970 video card and have seen the problem with at least 2 versions of the driver and 2 different video cards (580 and 970).

Thanks,

Kilstorm,

I have a very similar setup, with a 12" touch screen dedicated to the GTN 750. My problem is that, as you mentioned, you have to use it in portrait mode. If I do this, P3D would systematically crash when starting. My touch screen resolution is 800 x 600, but I have seen the same problem with another touch screen I have, which is 1024 x 768. Someone on another forum had the same issue, until he got a monitor with a higher resolution. From there we inferred that P3D does not like any configuration with the actual horizontal resolution being lower than 800 pixels.

Did you run into this issue? Do you have any suggestion by any chance?

Note that the same configuration works just fine in FSX. I am currently using an nVidia GTX970 video card and have seen the problem with at least 2 versions of the driver and 2 different video cards (580 and 970).

Thanks,

800x600 is too low. FSX and P3D need a minimum of 1024x768 as per their info. If your 12" can't do that setting in the graphic settings, you most likely have hit a road block.

Once in portrait mode you just need to reverse the settings by selecting 768X1024 in the graphics resolution settings. Hope this helps?!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

The funny thing is that I have 2 additional 15" touch screens. They do support 1024x768 and work just fine in landscape mode (so does my 12" touch screen with 800x600 resolution). But if I switch to portrait mode, I can launch P3D and get into the Training Scenario Setup,but as soon as I try to load the flight I get an "APPCRASH" in KERNELBASE .dll. Once again this is with a monitor capable of 1024x768, so I am still curious to figure out what is different here.

I do use these 2 screens in landscape mode (PFD and MFD typically), so this is not an issue. Also, for the 12" screen, if I keep it in landscape mode when I start P3D, then switch to portrait mode once I am in a flight, it does work with no issues. It is not a great work around, but that way I can at least use my 12" touch screen (which is a bare screen embedded in a custom console I built).

Archived