Take pity

Do you have FSX installed as well or did you have it installed?  I had the same problem and had to use the work around in this thread. Mine went away after a WIN 7 re install

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89673-temporary-workaround-for-installing-orbx-scenery-with-fsxse/

But first Try cleaning your registry with CC cleaner and then using ORBX or F1 registry pointer to point to FSX -SE

You must choose which version of FSX you want and uninstall the other. We don't support our products being installed into both sims at the same time because of the Windows Registry conflicts that exist.

So choose to have either FSX boxed (legacy) or FSX:SE installer, not both.

People who do clean OS installs followed by FSX:SE generally get the cleanest results and great performance. I installed FSX:SE on a brand new laptop running Windows 8.1

Zoran, I have never had the boxed version on my system, and to be honest the thought of a complete reinstall of my OS makes me shudder..I think I would sooner do without FSX in any form..Thanks for the input though, you have given me food for thought.

John, I don't have FSX boxed on my system..only prepar3d v2.5 on a separate drive..do your comments still apply ? Teecee.

Hi guys,

Like for FSX or P3D2, don't install Steam to the default program location because of execution rights as usual. Make into another dieectory sur as C:/Steam/ for example.

Teecee, uninstall tour current Steam and reinstall it into a new location as told then your problems will be solved :)

Hi Richard,

I've reinstalled Steam as you suggested, will try again with FSX SE, I can't believe how smooth FSX SE is when installed, the FPS are amazing, it's just that I couldn't get Orbx or ASN to install at all...will I still need to do the registry thing, I've already used CCleaner without effect?

Thanks,

Well people, thanks for all the advice..I will uninstall FTX-SE and reinstall it on another drive and see how that goes..Worth a try, but if it fails again I will give it a miss I think..I will report back. Teecee.

Hi Guys,

Can someone from Orbx please clarify, that the only way Orbx installs properly into FSX SE, is if your HD is formatted, and Win7 must be re installed, because reg cleaners won't completly delete a previous copy of original FSX?

Thanks,

No, it can be done and the problem is usually that if FSX has been previously installed,

FSX SE will create external folders named FSX-SE.

Sometimes there is still a trace of FSX and if that is the case, by default, FSX-SE will

be installed in "Co-exist" mode, ie so that it and FSX can be installed on the same PC.

This is why the external folders are named FSX-SE  instead of FSX.

Use your Registry Editor to go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

where you will see a Registry Key named Co-existence.

You will see that its value is 1.

Right click on modify and change this to 0.

You can then go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

and in each case delete the FSX-SE folder.

If you see an FSX folder, delete that also.

Then restart FSX-SE and new folders named FSX will be created.

Once you have done this, the file structure should match what

the installers expect to find for FSX and work correctly.

Credit for this to Steve Waite at the Avsim forum.

I have tried it and it works for me exactly as I have written.

As I have both versions on my PC, I have also found that

the process is entirely reversible.

Also the correct registry entry that the FTX installers read must either be amended from the

previous FSX location or created.

This Registry tool will do either task

http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10\SetupPath

for a 64 bit OS.

If this is done then FSX_SE will look exactly like FSX to the installers and all products can

be installed.

Archived