Temporary workaround for installing Orbx scenery with FSX:SE

EDIT: As stated by Mr Venema, it is best to wait until an official fix. Do not try the following unless you agree that is unsupported and that you may loose both your FSX installs and even maybe you windows install, if you do a mistake somewhere.

This is for people who have both FSX box edition and FSX SE, and to an extent for people that have deleted their legacy FSX but who are still having issues pointing the installers towards FSX:SE

After many hours pulling my hair and trying to get this to work I believe I have finally figured it out.  Before I start I want to point out some important locations and fact.
FSX boxed and FSX:SE are designed to work while both are installed. Hence you will have 2 different folders named "FSX" and "FSX-SE", containing your sceneries config. They are located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\.

You also need to understand that at the end of this process you will have 2 Orbx installations and 2 different FTCentral.exe. So when you will need to start FTXCentral be sure not to use a desktop shortcut but to navigate to your Steam ORBX folder and start it from there (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral), that will make sure you are starting the right FTXCentral.
Last, it is a good idea to run FTXCentral in admin mode (right click and run as administrator) as it is located within "program files (x86)"
The registry hack was pointed out by JRobinson at fsdevelopper forums and kindly provided to me by jim F on those forums (thanks).
Also do this at your own risk. It seems to be ok on my computer and until an official switcher is released by orbx there isnt much you can do...

NOW follow those steps.

1) Start regedit (start menu>type regedit in the search)
2) Backup your whole registry. Right click on computer and export
3) Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 and change the value of setupPath (after writing the old path for reference) to point to your Steam FSX (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX). From now on wether you are using or installing into your steam FSX you must have this reg entry. If you decide to use your legacy FSX you only have to revert to your old setting.
4) Install your Orbx Region/scenery. It should now see the correct path to FSX SE
5) Close FTXCentral
6) navigate to your new Orbx directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\ORBX)
7) edit those 2 files : script/FTXSettings.xml and script/FTXCentral/FTXSettings.xml and change "<SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX</SceneryCFGLocation>" to "<SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX-SE</SceneryCFGLocation>"
8) run FTXConfigurator.exe to update your library
9) run FTXCentral, check that your scenery library is the new one
10) Fly FSX SE and enjoy your Orbx scenery :)

• Upvote 2

A small but useful point, you don't have to install FSX-SE in the default Steam folder. You can set up additional library folders to install games in different places. I prefer to have FSX installed on a separate dedicated drive. It's easy to do that with Steam.

Go to Steam - Settings - Downloads

Underneath Content Libraries, click on Steam Library Folders

This opens a window where you can add new Library Folders.

Set up one for FSX-SE wherever you like, e.g. on a different drive.

Whenever you install a new game on Steam you can then choose where to install it.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you for posting this workaround.

It worked brilliantly for me and increased my windows knowledge in the process.

I have been using FSX for some time now and I have so many additions I often wondered if a reinstall might be a good idea, but was a bit hesitant fearing any problems.

I then came across FSX-SE  at a great price recently, which provided the possibility of having both on the one pc.

I have a nice clean FSX-SE now installed on a different drive and am enjoying installing the addons I really like and seeing their effects on performance.

Thanks again, Patrick

::)

• Upvote 1

A small but useful point, you don't have to install FSX-SE in the default Steam folder. You can set up additional library folders to install games in different places. I prefer to have FSX installed on a separate dedicated drive. It's easy to do that with Steam.

Go to Steam - Settings - Downloads

Underneath Content Libraries, click on Steam Library Folders

This opens a window where you can add new Library Folders.

Set up one for FSX-SE wherever you like, e.g. on a different drive.

Whenever you install a new game on Steam you can then choose where to install it.

Just  the info I was looking for. So even if Steam is on D: drive I can select FSX.SE to install to E: drive?

Thanks ,very useful info!

EDIT

How can I set up on a different drive?. the add libraries tab only shows drive D where steam is installed

Just  the info I was looking for. So even if Steam is on D: drive I can select FSX.SE to install to E: drive?

Thanks ,very useful info!

EDIT

How can I set up on a different drive?. the add libraries tab only shows drive D where steam is installed

On the bottom left, click on the button called "Add Library Folder"

In the window that pops up (which says "Create or select new Steam library folder")

- click the downward pointing triangle on the top right, this shows you a list of drives.

- click on the drive you want to use

- click on New Folder to create a folder (default name is SteamLibrary), name it and click okay (you must create a folder, you can't set the root drive)

- click Select. Your new Steam library folder should appear in the list.

When you next install a game, you'll have an option to "Choose location for install" (you can create a new library from there too).

Hope this helps.

On the bottom left, click on the button called "Add Library Folder"

In the window that pops up (which says "Create or select new Steam library folder")

- click the downward pointing triangle on the top right, this shows you a list of drives.

- click on the drive you want to use

- click on New Folder to create a folder (default name is SteamLibrary), name it and click okay (you must create a folder, you can't set the root drive)

- click Select. Your new Steam library folder should appear in the list.

When you next install a game, you'll have an option to "Choose location for install" (you can create a new library from there too).

Hope this helps.

That did help indeed !   :) 

Man, Just when I thought I had this all figured out. Ive spent a ton of money and spent WAY to much time tweaking all this shit. I cant get any scenery to load. I dont think this is worth it. I dont fly anymore, I just adjust this and adjust that. F IT.

Man, Just when I thought I had this all figured out. Ive spent a ton of money and spent WAY to much time tweaking all this shit. I cant get any scenery to load. I dont think this is worth it. I dont fly anymore, I just adjust this and adjust that. F IT.

Yeah, I hear you. Just when I think I have one issue fixed, the next one shows up and its off to research, tweak, pray, scream, throw the computer out the window with wings attached and hope it will fly better than FSX.

After weeks of much tweaking FSX-SE, I can say that all the glitches I have had are not related to FTX scenery (other than some minor slowdown in some areas which is to be expected) but are the core program shorcomings.

I do wish we could have some word as to when FTX will fix the objectflow.dll/ORBX libraries issues though ...

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily I have no hair left to tear out  ::)

How is it possible to modify the registry and STILL have ORBX write to the orginal FSX,scenery.cfg and not into the Steam version 

Anyway thought I would post the mods I made just in case there is something dodgy. Maybe someone can shed some light or I may just need to be patient and wait for the official mod

regosteamorbx_zps89853e82.png

E:\FSX-SE\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\Scripts

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<FTX_Settings>
  <FSXRegistryKey>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0</FSXRegistryKey>
  <FSXRegistryValue>SetupPath</FSXRegistryValue>
  <SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX-SE</SceneryCFGLocation>
</FTX_Settings>

E:\FSX-SE\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<FTX_Settings>
  <FSXRegistryKey>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0</FSXRegistryKey>
  <FSXRegistryValue>SetupPath</FSXRegistryValue>
  <SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX-SE</SceneryCFGLocation>
</FTX_Settings>

How is it possible to modify the registry and STILL have ORBX write to the orginal FSX,scenery.cfg and not into the Steam version 

Hi Zoran,

I'm not sure if you have both versions installed (Steam and boxed), but for myself (Steam only) the SCENERY.CFG is located and updated in the C:\ProgramData folder, NOT where FSX is installed.

I know the SCENERY.CFG is also located in the FSX installation folders, but the one actually used by FSX is in the ProgramData location.

I hope this helps!

Stevan

EDIT - this was also true with my original FSX boxed version.

I can't see any difference between your entries and mine.

One way to achieve what you have would be to have your

FTX Central shortcut still pointing to the one in FSX.

You need two versions of FTX Central as I am sure you know,

therefore two separate shortcuts.

I tried this as suggested with just Norway installed and it worked fine. The previous message saying "Unable to find the scenery.cfg file. Unable to find the scenery.cfg file". (yes it said it twice every time) disappeared, the data was placed in the Orbx folder and the scenery library was updated so I enjoyed several flights around Norway. I then reset FTX Central to default and installed several of my other Orbx sceneries (NZSI, NZNI and PFJ) and the situation appears to have reverted to what it was before, though all the installed scenery is in the correct folders, so the registry mod is working OK, there are no FTX entries in the scenery library and changing region in FTX Central, or running FTXconfigurator.exe  now brings up the dreaded "Unable to find..." message again. I do have a "scenerylib_sceneryname.cfg entry in ...FSX\Orbx\scripts for each of my installed sceneries so could add them to the library manually but I suspect FTX Central makes other changes which are needed when you change region (to the autogen files?).  I note that there are other .xml files in Scripts referencing the sceneryCFG location - FtxConfiguratorSettings.xml and OrbxControlPanelSettings.xml - as well as the two changed in this 'fix' but changing them to fsx-se didn't help.

Totally baffled! Perhaps we do need to be patient but it's been a month.

Mervyn

I've seen various references to problems with ObjectFlow with FSX-SE but can anyone explain why the objectflow.dlls don't even install in this version? I have several Orbx region and airport sceneries installed now and in none of them are there any objectflow.dlls. The various objectflow xml files are present but not the dlls.  

Mervyn

I've seen various references to problems with ObjectFlow with FSX-SE but can anyone explain why the objectflow.dlls don't even install in this version? I have several Orbx region and airport sceneries installed now and in none of them are there any objectflow.dlls. The various objectflow xml files are present but not the dlls.  

Mervyn

Object flows are binaries that would just cause FSXSE exe to fail to start (or load your sceneries) I believe. 

I just wanted to thank you for posting this workaround.

It worked brilliantly for me and increased my windows knowledge in the process.

I have been using FSX for some time now and I have so many additions I often wondered if a reinstall might be a good idea, but was a bit hesitant fearing any problems.

I then came across FSX-SE  at a great price recently, which provided the possibility of having both on the one pc.

I have a nice clean FSX-SE now installed on a different drive and am enjoying installing the addons I really like and seeing their effects on performance.

Thanks again, Patrick

::)

Hey no worries :)

Merlinux

I noted what John Venema said about the ObjectFlow.dlls problem but it is interesting that they don't even get put in the relevant scenery folders, in my case at least.

I don't suppose you have any thoughts on my first query - why despite the changes to the xml files are being saved correctly, I'm persistently getting the "unable to find the scenery.cfg.." message whenever I change region with FTX Central or run configurator.exe? I have examined the autogen folder and have satisfied myself that FTX Central is changing the files over in there when I change region, so I have resumed flying around Norway after editing scenery.cfg manually (by copying the relevant entries from scenerylib_EU_NOR.cfg and scenerylib_FTXAA_ORBXLIBS.cfg (in FSX\Orbx\scripts), changing the Area and Layer values, then moving the entries to the correct position in the library but it's a pain. I guess putting the other FTX sceneries in the library in the same way would also work. This is assuming the changes in the Autogen folder when changing regions are the only changes FTX Central makes outside scenery.cfg.

Mervyn 

Guys, I have the work around going great and am installing all my ORBX sceneries.

However there is a challenge regarding VECTOR AEC. Maybe somebody can advise on a further work around.

The problem

Vector installs perfect into the library automatically so thats good but it will not read from the FSX-SE scenery.CFG

instead it will only read from  the FSX scenery CFG.

Currently Im copying the FSX-SE.scenery.cfg to FSX scenery.cfg and Vector  AEC works.

Is there a way to to get vector  AEC to use FSX-SE .scenery.cfg automatically?

I only have the Steam installed but created a FSX Boxed scenery folder for ORBX  AEC Vector and Aivlasoft EFB workaround

• 2 weeks later...

Merlinux

I noted what John Venema said about the ObjectFlow.dlls problem but it is interesting that they don't even get put in the relevant scenery folders, in my case at least.

I don't suppose you have any thoughts on my first query - why despite the changes to the xml files are being saved correctly, I'm persistently getting the "unable to find the scenery.cfg.." message whenever I change region with FTX Central or run configurator.exe? I have examined the autogen folder and have satisfied myself that FTX Central is changing the files over in there when I change region, so I have resumed flying around Norway after editing scenery.cfg manually (by copying the relevant entries from scenerylib_EU_NOR.cfg and scenerylib_FTXAA_ORBXLIBS.cfg (in FSX\Orbx\scripts), changing the Area and Layer values, then moving the entries to the correct position in the library but it's a pain. I guess putting the other FTX sceneries in the library in the same way would also work. This is assuming the changes in the Autogen folder when changing regions are the only changes FTX Central makes outside scenery.cfg.

Mervyn 

Hi Mervinh,

I am sorry I have some troubles understanding your problem, might be due to the beers I recently drunk heh heh. AnywaysI suggest 2 things. Either start again following my instructions very carefully (use notepad when editing files), or decide to use only one version of FSX (if you use FSXSE solely you might also need to use the registry hack unless dovetail fixed this and yes you will not have the objectflow dlls, nothing you can do about that)

On a personal basis, I have been without a flysim computer as my laptop has died (waiting to fix it). Ive started building a new desktop and I am just waiting for a graphic card before I start simming again...

Also I am back to the box version until  ASN is released for FSXSE (which should be soon!). the HIFI team have stated huge problems of instability trying to get their code to work with the new binaries, they actually had to change a lot of code to get it to work. So I would just be patient and wait for orbx to get the objectflow DLLs to work, it seems it isnt an easy job.

Take care

Hi Merlinux,

Thanks for your thoughts. As it happens I am only using the steam version of FSX, though I did install it before removing as many traces as I could find, including registry entries, of the boxed version. I didn't want to start from scratch installing everything as I have a great number of other scenery and aircraft addons already installed in the new version - it is only the Orbx scenery which is giving a problem. Manual scenery.cfg editing does work. The other non-scenery library changes which FTX Central makes (autogen descriptions etc.) are happening as it recognises where FSX-SE is but it's a great mystery why the mods you have suggested don't allow it to find the library. I'm pretty certain I followed your procedure to the letter.

Mervyn

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: As stated by Mr Venema, it is best to wait until an official fix. Do not try the following unless you agree that is unsupported and that you may loose both your FSX installs and even maybe you windows install, if you do a mistake somewhere.

This is for people who have both FSX box edition and FSX SE, and to an extent for people that have deleted their legacy FSX but who are still having issues pointing the installers towards FSX:SE

NOW follow those steps.

1) Start regedit (start menu>type regedit in the search)

2) Backup your whole registry. Right click on computer and export

3) Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 and change the value of setupPath (after writing the old path for reference) to point to your Steam FSX (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX). From now on wether you are using or installing into your steam FSX you must have this reg entry. If you decide to use your legacy FSX you only have to revert to your old setting.

There is a safer way to make this registry change using the "FS registry Repair utility" available for free over at www.flight1.com. You just run it,  select the FSX option and select the Steam folder where FSXSE is installed. Install your FTX scenery, then run the utility again, pointing back to the original FSX location.

i know im late to the party,but this last suggestion,about using the registry fixer finally worked for me...id removed FSX.Boxed and i even uninstalled FSX.SE,removed everything from the registry,cleaned and brushed and sweated and cried...oh my...

SOOOooo...i finally,btw i was down to three hairs left on my head,and they were all ingrown due to the fear they had of what might have come outta my mouth..BUT after i dod the tool thing...BINGO...global is now installing and im sure ill be fine from here on..if not....well im done,im ......well im sumpin .....

After a couple of false starts I got the registry fix to work and have two FSX installations with separate scenery config files

I tried using the Flight One registry repair tool but that did not work and I think that is because it is set up for a 32 bit operating system path and lacks the

\wow6432Node\ entry in the path to find the correct point in the registry on my Windows 7 64 bit edition

I have posted a query on the F1 forums to see if there can be a 64bit version available to save having to navigate through the registry each time to change things

Perhaps if someone at ORBX could produce a similar tool for both 32 and 64 bit operation it would make it very easy for anyone wanting to install into both FSX and FSX-SE to do so quickly and there would be no need to alter the standard auto installers for any of the ORBX products

I plan to run both FSX versions so I can divide the large number of scenery add-ons I have amassed between them to reduce the initial loading time - I have all the Horizon UK photo scenery and it can take up to 10 minutes to load a flight within that area but about 3 minutes if I deactivate it and use only ORBX,UTX and some add-on airports

Regards

Kendo

Flight One say there is no update for their Registry Repair tool so if you have Windows 64 bit you have to use Regedit and scroll through as per the earlier post - it works okay though.

Regards

Kendo

Thanks for all the advice here. However, I can not get FTX England to install. I originally had FSX se installed in default folder. C:\prgromme files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. The installer will/cannot find the location: Following some advice I deleted FSX se and steam, and reinstalled to C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. Ran the installer again, no joy. The installer does not see FSX SE location, I have also tried to install the libraries, same problem, the installer states location as Blank.

Anybody help me here, I am getting very frustrated. Had the thing for two days now and cant get it installed!!

Many Thanks in Advance

Dragon

post-54892-0-58974000-1425581121_thumb.p

I think it's fair to say that at some point in the future ( I don't know when ) FSX boxed edition is going to become like a DOS program.

Due to Windows upgrade versions and DVD's just becoming worn out or unavailable except maybe for bootleg versions. Eventually I think Steam will be the only alternative for an FSX simulator.

Thanks for all the advice here. However, I can not get FTX England to install. I originally had FSX se installed in default folder. C:\prgromme files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. The installer will/cannot find the location: Following some advice I deleted FSX se and steam, and reinstalled to C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. Ran the installer again, no joy. The installer does not see FSX SE location, I have also tried to install the libraries, same problem, the installer states location as Blank.

Anybody help me here, I am getting very frustrated. Had the thing for two days now and cant get it installed!!

Many Thanks in Advance

Dragon

Check your installation path again it should read like this but yours is very different  C:\FSX-SE\steamapps\common\FSX

yours C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX

Have you gone through the workaround procedure at the start of this thread carefully to update the registry entry AND amend the FTXSettings.xml files in the ORBX folder under Scripts. You must do both or the installation will fail. I omitted the latter at first and realised my error and I then got it to work ok.

There is a safer way to make this registry change using the "FS registry Repair utility" available for free over at www.flight1.com. You just run it,  select the FSX option and select the Steam folder where FSXSE is installed. Install your FTX scenery, then run the utility again, pointing back to the original FSX location.

A little late replying :)

I was away from FSX for a month or so as Im building my new PC... the old one died...

Now Im in the process of reinstalling everything and Ill go steam I think.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. When I first found out about the missing stuff in registry and the fix, I found this software from flight1 but never tried it (and was unsure it was doing the same thing, im an FSX newbie).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still stuck with the FTX installer just not being able to find my FSX-SE install, says I have no registry entries. I tried the registry tool from flight1 but i think that made it worse. First I tried just running the FTX installer after installing FSX-SE but it would only find my boxed version. Then I tried uninstalling the boxed version and running FTX installer again and now it can't find anything. I don't have any registry entry in my \wow6432Node\microsoft\microsoft games related to FSX. Pretty confused now. 

It does seem that it is very difficult to remove all traces of FSX.

The TweakFS Registry utility will write your registry entry for you.

http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

Then use this guide http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/93155-cant-get-orbx-to-work-with-fsx-se/#entry847348

to make FSX-SE use external folders named

FSX and not FSX-SE and you should be fine.

I'm still stuck with the FTX installer just not being able to find my FSX-SE install, says I have no registry entries. I tried the registry tool from flight1 but i think that made it worse. First I tried just running the FTX installer after installing FSX-SE but it would only find my boxed version. Then I tried uninstalling the boxed version and running FTX installer again and now it can't find anything. I don't have any registry entry in my \wow6432Node\microsoft\microsoft games related to FSX. Pretty confused now. 

If you do not have any entry create it and the installer will then work ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the directions of the OP to the letter and the dual install works. The only stumbling moment for me was that after changing the registry FSX location pointer and installing ORBX AU region from an old DVD, FTX central did not automatically fire up after the install. Lesson appears to be to install from DVD and install latest SP straight away then go back to following this guide.

I'll probably end up sticking with FSX-SE because it is a little bit better in performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Incase it's handy, since it was for me, instead of all this registry editing, there is a free tool made by Flight 1 that is called "FS_Registry_Repair", and does all this stuff for you. I just went through this whole search thing, and found that it may be a registry problem. Then I used this tool, and voila! It corrected the registry path with a simple file navigation. It asks you to navigate to your FSX.exe, (whichever you want it to be, FSX or FSX:SE) and there you go. Hope that helps!