Running FSWC gives Unhandled exception message

Bassman

Have downloaded and installed FSWC.
I had the program running on my older machine however trying to install on current machine which is Windows 7 64 bit, DX9 on NVidia GTX 760 Graphics.

Running FSWC I get error message and I also get a similar message when trying to run the Uninstaller
It is a Microsoft.NET Framework Unhandled exception message.
When trying to run says 'I:\FS Water Configurator\Shadow Files\Profiles\Default FSX.pfl'
When trying to run uninstaller says 'I:\FS Water Configurator\Shader Files\Water20.sv2.dft'
Both the target files are in their correct folders however the message refers to drive "I" whereas the address is "C"; is this just a generic part of the message?
Have left post on Striking Software forum however that forum is not as active as this.

Can anyone assist with the running please.
Secondary note, is FSWC actually FSWC+?
Thankyou all in anticipation, Dan

I forgot the important bit, the crux of the message says that part of the path is missing??

Is this with trying to use it with FSX Steam Edition?... if so, I get a similar error and have been unable to make it work. The 'Lite' version works, but you can't make custom profiles with it, and are limited to the ready made ones.

I will try all the suggestions and let you know, thanks.

Hi Mark, no I am not using Steam and I also can't get Lite version to run properly, it gets to the main screen where it state Default FSX at the top left however all else is blank on that screen.

Hi Dan,

Just wondering how you got on.

I hopped over to SF forum found your post, as yet unanswered. I noticed you mention "FSWC+" but this version was never released, what they did release was an updated "FSWC Lite", encompassing some of the features intended for the "+" version so that DX10 users could use "Lite" version.

On reading a few other threads about your issue and that you have recently updated your PC systems, further to my #5 post here, you should make sure .Net is up-to-date from (Windows update) & UAC is turned OFF, and that you have not moved your installation of FSX or FSWC, then re-install As Administrator (right click installer), use the "Full FSWCv3.15" if you are using DX9 or the Lite version if using DX10 then make sure Admin permissions (R/O Attributes unchecked) are granted to your "FS Water Configurator" folder/s.

I'm guessing that you are running FSX DX10 & Steve Parson's Fixer.

I'm running FSX/DX9 and use the "3.15" version for a few years now, which contains 16 Pre-configured profiles ".pfl", 20 Tutorial scenarios.

I have never installed the Lite version so couldn't tell you what scenarios/profiles come with that version, as it does not contain the FSWC GUI or sliders this might make it difficult to make your own water profiles.

Thanks Jeff, yes I tried your 1st suggestion, no luck. I am running DX9 only and I have been trying to install the 3.15 version, not FSWC+ (my error).

Both the target files are in their correct folders however the message refers to drive "I" whereas the address is "C"; is this just a generic part of the message?

I will go thru the processes outlined in your latest post and let you know.

Thanks again. Cheers  Dan

that indicates that your registry entry for it ain't correct, make sure your registry entries are correct and take it from there

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

SetupPath

Hi Jeff, well unfortunately none of your suggestions has solved the problem; Thanks anyway.

Ok, Wolter my friend,  I do not appear to have a "Microsoft Games" folder (and therefore no Flight Simulator\10.0 entry)  in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

What is the fix please? (hoping there is one)

Regards  Dan

Ran a little program that I have had for years that repairs the registry path. At end of running it states that  'Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 Setup' has been added to

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\', however when I use Regedit command, it has not worked.

Hi Wolter,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\

works fine however the FSX Registry Fix will not place the following in the registry.

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SetupPath'

Any ideas mate?

Most puzzling. Both Registry Fixing programs indicate that

" 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SetupPath'

is in the registry and  when checking i.e. in the Tweaks software when you select 'get path' it shows both the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER key and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as being correct however when using the Regedit command in windows

only the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key is shown correct??

As far as I can see, although it reports that the registry entry is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\SetupPath,

looking there with Regedit produces no result.

it is to be found using Regedit by going to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Wow6432Node\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\SetupPath

Hi Nick, ok, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Wow6432Node\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\SetupPath reads correct as does

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\AppPath entry.

The only thing I can think of is when getting path using the registry fix tool, it does not show "Wow6432Node"; I presume your entry in the registry tool does not show it either?

So I am back to square one again. Must be another problem somewhere. Hopefully either yourself or someone can give me another idea after looking at the screenie I posted.

I do appreciate your efforts to assist me. Thanks again. Dan

WOOHOO!!!! Found the solution in the Striking Software forum (unfortunately it was under a quite obscure title which is also a big bone of contention of mine regarding titles used for some posts in this Orbx forum, anyhoo)

the problem was not the registry entries relating to FSX, but entries relating to the Striking Software registry entry.

Solution

1. Open Registry Editor
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Striking Software\FS Water Configurator\3.0
3. Right Click 'AppPath', select Modify
4. Changed the path to locate the FS Water Configurator folder in my Program Files folder

i.e.  C:\Program Files\FS Water Configurator\  The "\" at the end is also most important.

I do appreciate all efforts to assist.

Cheers  Dan

WOOHOO!!!!

I had forgotten this thread, and then I saw your last post and with hope tried this fix [adding the '\' to the paths].... I can now get FSWC to run with FSX-SE without the error, but my settings, though saying they are applied, does not make any change to my water :-[

Has anyone else managed to get FSWC working with FSX Steam Edition? ... I cannot.

Archived