The Worst Place to b a Pilot...

birdguy

I will definitely try to use C208's AP in the Porter's instrument panel.  And if I can replace the default radio stack with the 208's, all the better.

The only drawback I can think of is learning how to fly a tail dragger.  ;)

Stew 

Flying a tail dragger is no different than any other aircraft. Moving it on the  ground is. Not so much the taxi part (you snake your way around) than the initial part of the take off when you don't see squat in front of you. But what a feeling when the tail raises and you finally see the runway rushing in front of you (well rushing is a big word if your taildragger is a Cub ;) )

What makes the Porter such a nice aircraft are the huge flaps and ability to use the beta mode to slow the beast in a  dive.

When taxiing a tail dragger like the Porter or my DC-3 I raise the seat so I can peer over the nose of the aircraft. Then, when situated on the runway I return it to normal for takeoff. I check the aircraft alignment with the edge of the runway out the side window until the tail come up.

Noel

The small strips are not to difficult to find, even with no autopilot or GPS ( they don't show up any way ),take off from Jackson Port Moresby and fly a heading from 58 degree and you will see in top down view after a while 5 bush strips really short together. Quit challenging to land on any of them with the PC6, even more so with the DC6 twin otter, already crasht some, a good thing you never run out of planes with FSX.

Herman

The small strips are not to difficult to find, even with no autopilot or GPS ( they don't show up any way ),take off from Jackson Port Moresby and fly a heading from 58 degree and you will see in top down view after a while 5 bush strips really short together. Quit challenging to land on any of them with the PC6, even more so with the DC6 twin otter, already crasht some, a good thing you never run out of planes with FSX.

Herman

Some are not so easy to find. well hidden in the bushes.   again i strongly recommand simlauncherX.   you add the strips to your flightplan really easily.

Most bush pilots there fly by recognising landmarks, because they're often flying in between towering peaks in less than ideal weather and don't have time to take their eyes off the view outside to check the GPS too often. Too dangerous. So most of them memorise the routes and know instinctively where to go and how to get there.

If you note the coordinates off all little strips from Google Earth you can easily bring them in the flight plan from FSX to, tried simlauncherX but that doesn't convert the GE .kml or .kmz to a flight plan either so you still have to do it manually and then the default flight planner works more easier I think and for some dark reason the airplanes don't show up in simlauncherX? it did find all flight plans.

Any idea?

Herman

PS, did a small tour on the North side of PNG against the border with Papua and it looks like all the airports are ORBX rebuild, wow and then not to mention the incredible landscape to fly over there, the 20Euro is definitely a bargain for such an add on, thanks ORBX team.

If you note the coordinates off all little strips from Google Earth you can easily bring them in the flight plan from FSX to, tried simlauncherX but that doesn't convert the GE .kml or .kmz to a flight plan either so you still have to do it manually and then the default flight planner works more easier I think and for some dark reason the airplanes don't show up in simlauncherX? it did find all flight plans.

Look, it is as simple as that.

http://youtu.be/DAAzmt-eMMM

I had nothing to do to have these "map overlays" in simlauncherX ; they were automatically added when i installed ORBX AYPY.

Anybody remember making a radio range approach?

Pilotage while listening to the . - and - . merge (hopefully) into a steady signal.

We learned to use these in B-25s in the 1954 Aviation Cadet Program. (USAF)

(Laugh not..............I'm 80)

I did one on my instrument check ride - Anchorage, AK 1970 PANC LFR 338 kc.  (I'm laughing with you - two months from 77)

Thanks Gauthier, looks easy enough but didn't know about the overlay that came with the PNG scenery ( reading manuals, ha ha ) so I draw a .kmz in GE and came to the conclusion that not all dirt tracks are in the scenery and another fanny thing is that now I looked at the overlay that came with the scenery is one dirt track that isn't on the overlay but is there in the scenery and in the booklet's "mud map", I discovered it flying back from Girua to Kagi on the east side of the high ridge not far from the heli path.

Herman

In real life. I had the wonderful FSD Porter in FS9 but don't remember whether it had one or not. As  many people I'm waiting for Marcel Feldman's (improperly called Aerosoft's)...

Update on Felde's PC-6 Porter:  http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/80189-pc-6-b2-h4-turbo-porter-4x-preview/

Not yet entered beta testing.

Stew

• 2 weeks later...

Well after installing "Jacksons" and Tims great "Porter" and flying a few exploring trips im baffled as to how to find the strips? no hints given that I can find so far,am impressed with the ability of the aircraft though, the way it gets airborne and stops explains a lot,have been trying to find the strips in google  earth but no luck there yet,oh well!  Doc....

I downloaded and installed Tim Conrad's PC-6.  It's a marvelous aircraft and flies beautifully.

The FSD Porter was a favorite of mine in FS9 but I didn't particularly care for the FSX conversion.

I did do a little modification to Tim's Porter.  I replaced the radio stack on the main panel with the Bendix stack and included the autopilot.  I commented out the autopilot function in the aircraft.cfg file and added the autopilot function from the default Cessna 208B,  It works perfectly for those of you who would like an autopilot on your PC-6.  It's nice to have when you are flying 100 miles ot so to your destination.

Noel

Noel,  I only yesterday installed Conrad's Porter, but, since this is my first effort at flying a turboprop, I'm having a couple of problems.  I can't seem to get the bird to fly faster than about 50 KIAS, and higher than about 500 ft. AGL, which leads to problems very shortly after T/O from AYPY.  Any advice?  From anyone who has flown this puppy?  Also, how does one shut down the engine?  There's no mixture control as in a prop job.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Tim's download didn't include any sort of manual, so I'm kinda stuck!

Stew

I have no idea why you have an airspeed/altitude problem Stew. When I flew Tim Conrad'sPC-6 I did not look for a fuel conditioner (mixture control) on the panel since I have it linked to one of my Saitek knobs. I just turned the fuel conditioner knob off and the engine quit.

I seldom fly the Porters anymore and when I do I go to my FSD International Porters. I prefer them to Tim Conrad's mostly because it still comes with a 2D panel. My go-to aircraft of choice is the Lionheart Quest Kodiak. I fly it almost exclusively.

Noel

I have no idea why you have an airspeed/altitude problem Stew. When I flew Tim Conrad'sPC-6 I did not look for a fuel conditioner (mixture control) on the panel since I have it linked to one of my Saitek knobs. I just turned the fuel conditioner knob off and the engine quit.

I seldom fly the Porters anymore and when I do I go to my FSD International Porters. I prefer them to Tim Conrad's mostly because it still comes with a 2D panel. My go-to aircraft of choice is the Lionheart Quest Kodiak. I fly it almost exclusively.

Noel

Thanks, Noel.  I will look for the fuel conditioner, but in the meantime I mapped FSX's "Engine Shutdown" in the Controls section to a button on my joystick and that works fine.  As for my airspeed problem, I'll keep looking, and in the meantime maybe somebody will chime in with some advice.  BTW, A2A's Cherokee is my current favorite; currently flying all around PNG, enjoying the scenery and landing at the airports along the way.  The small airstrips I'd like to try the Porter, if I can get it into the air, that is!

Stew

I found the fuel conditioner lever, in fact there is an idle (inc and dec) lever and a conditioner lever both situated next to each other on the lower left of the right hand instrument panel.  There's also a propeller control situated just behind and to the left of the throttle (fuel control lever).  Managed to find a flight manual for the plane where all these levers, etc. are labeled.

And for some reason the plane decided to cooperate this afternoon, so I took off, flew downrange a few miles, circled back and landed nicely on 32L.  Fun times!

Stew

• 3 weeks later...

Archived