Regarding Installs

Sammy H

Users,

I usually do not post here but I am getting quite frustrated right now.  Whats worse is I have re-installed my sim probably 10 times over the last 5 years.  Over time I guess old age catches up with you and you forget how to do the easiest things.  In this case I am talking about Global Base, VECTOR, and OpenLC.  I have read the install guides and all the tools around the forums, and even more crazy is I have down this install at least 2 times since some of these products were released but for some reason this time things just are not working correctly.

Fresh copy of W7 on 64-Bit machine, all the other bells and whistles you can think of.  My first install is FSX and Acceleration.  Then after that I go into installing my sceneries.  I install Global Base and then my patches. From there I install Global Vector and all patches and then OpenLC with patches and then ORBXLibs last.  I have done it in this order for the last 4 nights each time re-installing W7 on my HD just to ensure there was no other entries, issues etc with it.  Now when I do it this way and go to EGLL to check that all is well there is trees all over the runways, in water etc and it looks very bad.  When I fire up FSX it also gives me a bunch of errors saying certain things are missing in my scenery CFG etc.  I have tried moving things around, deleting certain entries and re-adding them to no success.  Now if I go in FTX Central and select just PNM, or Europe by themselves then some of the errors at start go away, but if I select Global or Hybrid mode then all these errors appear.

All I am really wanting to know is am I missing something in my steps.  Should I just install Global Base v1.0, then Vector 1.0 and then OpenLC 1.0 and then go back and do the patches after that?  Or should i install some of my regions first or all my regions first then come back and install these last.  I have done this before and cannot seem to remember the sequence in which I made it work before.  It is just very frustrating cause I really would like to fly and yet I have spent the last 4 days just trying to get FSX and these basics installed before moving on to all the other good stuff.  Some one please help!!!

Hello, Sammy.   Just a small point:  After you install Vector do you run the AEC tool, then when it's done, click Apply?  It's easy to forget that detail.  Otherwise, you are installing the stuff in the same order as I do--Global Base, Global Vector, Regions, then lastly, airports and OrbxLibs.

Stew

I should add that every time you install a new region, I believe it's SOP to run the Vector AEC again, not to mention after installing the airports in that region.  Wolter may correct me about this, however.  It's what I do, though, region by region, since there are a lot of airports in those regions, not just the individual payware/freeware ones.

Two things to remember during an FSX Reinstall... 

1. Always run the sim between every intermiediate step... (i.e. after installing FSX, run it once before installing Acceleration, then run it again before FTX Global etc etc...)

2. Once you have FTX Global installed, run FTX Central and cycle through the settings and apply each time (in this example, set Global then apply, then set Global with Hybrid mode on and apply). This will make sure the core files are fresh and good to go.

With no third party airports installed, there should be no need to disable any AEC files...

Two things to remember during an FSX Reinstall... 

1. Always run the sim between every intermiediate step... (i.e. after installing FSX, run it once before installing Acceleration, then run it again before FTX Global etc etc...)

2. Once you have FTX Global installed, run FTX Central and cycle through the settings and apply each time (in this example, set Global then apply, then set Global with Hybrid mode on and apply). This will make sure the core files are fresh and good to go.

With no third party airports installed, there should be no need to disable any AEC files...

Rob,  I have to admit I don't think step #1 is strictly necessary.  After installing FTX Global, the instructions are clear about enabling Global after a successful installation.  Clicking Hybrid and then applying again, I think, isn't necessary, unless you are planning to fly where this setting is needed.  Also, even with FTX airports installed, I thought it was necessary to run the AEC tool, third party airports or no third party airports.  I ran into trouble with KMRY, a payware airport, but running the AEC tool, the problems were solved.  And many of the freeware airports require you to run the AEC tool.  Just my $.02.

Well thanks all for the replies.  I will try and go another round starting tomorrow.  I am so frustrated, I have been simming for 10 years so I have done my fair share of re-installs just seems that over time I forget a step or 2 and things go haywire.......... I need to get this resolved soon though cause I am itching to fly.  Will post any new developments.

Hi Sammy, wich version from Vector did you download and install? if it is the full v1.20 installer then read this topic http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/91472-aec-tool-and-default-fsx-airport-issues/

If you have trees in the water at places then read my answer in this post http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/92103-trees-and-houses-in-inlets-and-bays/

Maybe that helps some?

Herman

Ok gents, sorry I have been inactive here lately.  Been a very frustrating week obviously so I decided to step away from installing FSX stuff for a few days.  I will begin tonight to rebuild again from the ground up.  I have just reformatted my HD, installed FSX and ACCELERATION and now getting ready to go with first ORBX setup being Global Base, after that I will install Vector, and then OpenLC. I will let you all know over the next 24 hours or so how this turns out.  I am so ready to fly but just feeling ill after waiting this whole week out with frustration :(  Just don't understand how this will work over and over again and then all of a sudden it doesn't work 

Okay all, I am happy to report that the tree problem seems to have disappeared on this new install. Not sure what I did differently but I did not have to do anything from the above mentioned post. IDK, still confusing and frustrating at the same time.  However now I am having a new issue that has developed and that is every time I run FTX Central it gives me an UNHANDLED EXCEPTION ERROR.  Not sure what this means, but when that pops up it asks me if I want to quite, continue. I hit quite and FTX Central closes.  If I hit continue FTX Central tries to open fully but never gets there it just stays on the loading screen.  I can make changes across the top on the tool bar like where to change my insertion for scenery etc but I am unable to switch regions at this time or go to HYBRID mode.  

Secondly, I purchased FS Global 2010 last night before I started installing stuff back in.  My question is does this has that same type of coding where it will know where to put itself in the scenery files as far as priority or do I need to move it manually once installed.  I installed Global Base, then Vector, then OpenLC so far with latest ORBXLibs and all is well up to this point.  My first time installing FS Global so I am a little nervous now that I have gotten this far after a week of not messing with the system. I was using some freeware mesh before but it accidentally got deleted when I reformatted my HD hence why I bought FS Global. 

Thanks for the help as always and I will just wait for a response before I go any further, seems I am over the big hurdle which was the trees. Just got to figure out FTX Central and installing FS Global and I will be back in business.

Update to my previous post. I went ahead and installed FSGlobal 2010 and it went into place on its own. Seems ok, I also fixed the FTX Central issue by starting to install some of my regions. Not sure what in the regions installs did to fix it but it cleaned out the error and I am happy to report the install seems to be working nicely now. Got a long ways to go but I am past what was giving me my issue.  The only other small issue I am trying to figure out is why I cannot get FTX Central to give me the Global Option even though Global and Vector are both installed and up to do.  Not sure how to get that icon to appear. It is showing the default FSX texture logo which I am not sure if that is being mistaken for the Global one or what.  I am nervous about clicking on it and seeing what it may do. Because there is no Global icon in the window I also cannot switch to HYBRID mode around PJF and PNW to see if everything is working well in that aspect. So for now I am just using the regions that I am installing as I continue down this path.

Still wondering if anyone else has had the issue of the FTX Global icon not being available in FTX Central?  I have installed everything according to the book and all looks good as long as I switch between regions. But I cannot select Global or Hybrid modes cause the option is not there.  If I re-install the v1.15 and v1.20 patches will this correct the problem?  Also will this hurt anything in the process, I really don't want to waist another week of not flying trying to troubleshoot.  Basically what I am asking is since I cannot select Global in FTX Central will re-installing the patches over say North America or Europe regions cause issues?  Thanks for everyone's help as always

Yeah I did, I can try again. I have installed 1. Global Base, 2. Global Vector, 3. OpenLC, 4. FSGlobal 2010, 5. Regions, 6. ORBXLibs.  I have stopped there, did not install any airports yet from ORBX cause I know some of them require certain regions to be selected and so forth.  I am not sure what happened to get the button to disappear but it has me worried that if I install the last patches it will destroy something which just took me 10 days to figure with the help of all of you. I am just wanting to fly but at the same time I don't like not having my Global textures present during flights especially when flying to other regions besides the ones selected in FTX Central.  Anyway, I will try the libs again and if that doesn't work I guess get me a parachute cause I am gonna jump and see what happens with re-installing the patches.  Thanks for the help Herman BTW :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well after doing another re-install in a different order than what the manual said all is well on my end.  I debated on doing it for over two weeks and finally decided to break down and re-install everything from the ground up.  Happy to report all is well now and I am back in the swing of flying :)  The order I used was:

FSX/ACCEL

FS Global Mesh

Regions

Global Base

Vector

EU LC

Libs 

Applying all necessary patches to each region as I did them and everything is well now.

Archived