10 Reasons that FSX Steam Edition Improves Upon Old FSX

I was one of the many who purchased FSX-SE in the sale, just for a backup. I didn't intend to install it, but apparently I inadvertently did! Don't ask how, it just happened. I saw no option to install it anywhere other than the default, and it appeared there as if by magic.

Initially I was 'miffed' because I thought dual installs would really complicate matters, so I quickly made up my mind I'd delete everything and just reinstall my boxed version. But, as FSX.SE was installed anyway, I decided to give it a blast. Using the default Baron over default scenery, of course it was smooth. So, I lobbed in the Turbine Duke and MegaSceneryEarth Arizona, and it still looked (predictably) smooth. So, I dialled in some seriously sick levels of REX (soft cloud) and I was pretty impressed. As I emerged from the clouds, I realised I had the traffic sliders 'on' (I hadn't really adjusted anything in the menu at that point), and to see the volumes of road traffic wending their way around Phoenix Sky Harbour as well as the (default) ai was quite inspiring! 

I watched your video with interest. You have a good voice for it, I must say!

Now I am definitely on-board with FSX-SE. In your learned opinion/s, given the VAS saving advantages, I'd be better putting my PMDG 737 NGX (when patched for compatibility) onto FSX-SE, together with the Majestic Dash (now suitably patched) and FTX Global, Vectors and OpenLC, and keeping FSX (boxed edition) for the less performance intensive stuff over my (not insignificant) collection of Photo Scenery, right?

Informative video..Thanks!

I am watching the show, and see a lot of flashing, is that just me?

Allan

It's alot of lightning going on. Rough day to fly!

I was one of the many who purchased FSX-SE in the sale, just for a backup. I didn't intend to install it, but apparently I inadvertently did! Don't ask how, it just happened. I saw no option to install it anywhere other than the default, and it appeared there as if by magic.

Initially I was 'miffed' because I thought dual installs would really complicate matters, so I quickly made up my mind I'd delete everything and just reinstall my boxed version. But, as FSX.SE was installed anyway, I decided to give it a blast. Using the default Baron over default scenery, of course it was smooth. So, I lobbed in the Turbine Duke and MegaSceneryEarth Arizona, and it still looked (predictably) smooth. So, I dialled in some seriously sick levels of REX (soft cloud) and I was pretty impressed. As I emerged from the clouds, I realised I had the traffic sliders 'on' (I hadn't really adjusted anything in the menu at that point), and to see the volumes of road traffic wending their way around Phoenix Sky Harbour as well as the (default) ai was quite inspiring!

I watched your video with interest. You have a good voice for it, I must say!

Now I am definitely on-board with FSX-SE. In your learned opinion/s, given the VAS saving advantages, I'd be better putting my PMDG 737 NGX (when patched for compatibility) onto FSX-SE, together with the Majestic Dash (now suitably patched) and FTX Global, Vectors and OpenLC, and keeping FSX (boxed edition) for the less performance intensive stuff over my (not insignificant) collection of Photo Scenery, right?

Informative video..Thanks!

it's up to you. I have found issues with dual installs, if your aircraft work, I would go exclusively FSX steam edition and avoid all the dual install headaches that go along with it.

I hear what you are saying, and understand that dual installations might not be 'ideal'. I'd probably not be dual installing any aircraft however, as I tend to use PhotoScenery exclusively for GA, and the longer haul stuff over FTX, so even FTX Global, Vectors and OpenLC would only need to be installed in the one version of FSX (in this instance FSX-SE).

As I'd not really expected FSX-SE to perform THAT well, I hadn't really considered the options, so I have a lot of reading and catching up to do.

I 'think' I'm right in saying that FTX Global, Vectors and OpenLC will eventually have an install option for FSX-SE, even if the boxed version coexists on the same PC? I can wait for that! I have one of those minds that needs to have everything filed in neat little boxes, and the idea of keeping PhotoReal and appropriate aircraft distinctly separated from autogen based scenery and tubeliner stuff has a certain appeal! :D

Loaded Global without libraries into it this morning with no issues, installer found the correct folder on its own and everything looking good. Have all settings set to max which is new to me, no tweaks to the cfg and it's running smooth. Spent a couple of hours testing and really enjoyed flying online. So far so good, for me its a great improvement over the boxed copy

Thanks for the video report.  I'm still waiting for Steam compatible installers from PMDG, ASN, and others and working Libraries from Orbx before making a definitive judgment about FSX SE.

C.

Without a doubt the biggest for me is ASN. Luckily, all 3 of those developers have pledged support for the platform, so in a couple of weeks we shold be good.  ;D

Very well presented and informative Video and I really hope the fence sitters and the placebo crowd give it a shot , its re ignited my passion for this great hobby its that good a platform. My settings are similar to yours and I find myself looking at process explorer these days in Amazement and tapping my screen to make sure its not stuck lol , Im not even joking  :D

I have 95% of all my add ons working and I have a LOT of add ons. Steves DX10 was made for this platform, no more black squares, flashes or texture popping.  OPUS works right out of the box and I did small work arounds for ORBX and Aivlasoft and all is good. Onwards and Upwards..

Ok, lightning thanks.

So, bear with me as my computer skills are poor.

I currently have FSX on its own F SSD drive.

After much self eductation and pain, I have it up with Steve's Fixer and a few cfg tweaks.

For some reason my Nvidia Inspector died and would not load, don't know what the go was with that (I had a blank desktop icon and when I tried to load it was told that Windows could not open the file), but re-downloaded the current version last night, but did not have the energy to go through the DX10 how to. Maybe tonight.

So one of my main concerns, is the fixer for DX10 able to work in SE, but a previous post seems to indicate that it works.

The other is getting confused in the computer side. For example, I have REX overdrive for a long time and was constantly getting a inflight message that a texture/weather theme could not load, I finally search the other day and found a tutorial u-tube demonstration of the correct installation of the product - go figure, it looked like I did that simple think wrong.

So my head spins with all this load this, load that talk.

It could be simple but I am so over mucking things up.

So what are the steps if I want to get back to my current set up with Steam edition.

I would say 'thanks' here, but my question could be too big to answer.

Allan

Edit; how did you bring up the steam overlay, it was not explained or I missed it.

Ok, lightning thanks.

So, bear with me as my computer skills are poor.

I currently have FSX on its own F SSD drive.

After much self eductation and pain, I have it up with Steve's Fixer and a few cfg tweaks.

For some reason my Nvidia Inspector died and would not load, don't know what the go was with that (I had a blank desktop icon and when I tried to load it was told that Windows could not open the file), but re-downloaded the current version last night, but did not have the energy to go through the DX10 how to. Maybe tonight.

So one of my main concerns, is the fixer for DX10 able to work in SE, but a previous post seems to indicate that it works.

The other is getting confused in the computer side. For example, I have REX overdrive for a long time and was constantly getting a inflight message that a texture/weather theme could not load, I finally search the other day and found a tutorial u-tube demonstration of the correct installation of the product - go figure, it looked like I did that simple think wrong.

So my head spins with all this load this, load that talk.

It could be simple but I am so over mucking things up.

So what are the steps if I want to get back to my current set up with Steam edition.

I would say 'thanks' here, but my question could be too big to answer.

Allan

Edit; how did you bring up the steam overlay, it was not explained or I missed it.

Allen,

Im happy to help but I am not clear on which items you were able to resolve yourself and which ones you still need help with. To bring up the steam overlay, you hit Left Shift + Tab together and it will pop up. 

What steps do I do to get the Steam version up and running.

Delete my previous version of FSX?

Download the SE version.

I don't know much about Steam, so do I have a choice as to which folder it goes too or is Steam more like a 'cloud' based set up, where I don't actually download the program, - as you can see pretty green.

And so on from there, with addons.

Like I said if the answers to complex then I can keep researching.

I just wanted to avoid doing stupid things that get me in trouble later, if I know the steps great.

Allan

What steps do I do to get the Steam version up and running.

Delete my previous version of FSX?

Download the SE version.

I don't know much about Steam, so do I have a choice as to which folder it goes too or is Steam more like a 'cloud' based set up, where I don't actually download the program, - as you can see pretty green.

And so on from there, with addons.

Like I said if the answers to complex then I can keep researching.

I just wanted to avoid doing stupid things that get me in trouble later, if I know the steps great.

Allan

Hey Allan,

Sorry for the delay, had a long weekend. So if you want the best FSX SE experience, I would highly advise to remove your old FSX completely. Its well documented that they dont play nice together once you start with the addons so you will need to completely rid your system of it. To do this take the following steps:

1: Use the regular uninstaller in Windows to uninstall FSX and all service packs

2: Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MicrosoftGames\FSX\ and delete the FSX folder. 

3: Go to C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft and delete the FSX folder in there as well. 

4: Next go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ and delete the FSX folder. 

5: Finally, go to C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Local and delete the FSX folder there. 

Its ok if those folders arent there. Only sometimes they are left behind after an uninstall due to addons that hang around. When those steps are done, run a System cleaner like CC cleaner if you have it and restart your computer. 

Now you can install your FSX Steam. In regards to where Steam installs, I dont think have a choice. In almost every case its C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

From there, every addon should now recognize your new install and should have no problems correctly finding the new registry. Just install them as you would in FSX and they are good to go. The only 3 that I know of right now that are having problems are the ORBX objectflow.dll, ActiveSkyNext, and the PMDG birds. 

Thanks so much for your excellent video!! I was flying my Duke Turbine V2 this evening from Prestwick to Iceland, about 3 hrs in FSX. I was just starting my approach into the airport and I got a CTD AND a BSOD!! I said a bad word, but sadly my FSX has become so unstable that flights I complete are unusual. I have an older but fairly robust machine with 16GB of ram. So you have sold me on FSX SE and I thank you for that, very much. This was a stunning video, a weather day where even the seagulls were grounded. Love those soft clouds, I had just switched from Rex to ASN, I may have to switch back! And finally you informed me about PMDG getting the steam installers, another deal maker. So, thanks again for the info, the video and all the good info. I feel like you have given me my flight sim back. I have been doing this for about 30 years now, and all the good things we take for granted now are just phenomenal...with FSX SE.

Kind regards,

Scott Sinclair

I don't understand why people get so excited about something that tweaks FSX into something we already have by using our own tweaks, but also decides to break major add-ons like PMDG, ASN, FSUIPC and tons of others we don't know about yet. Sorry, but I will not even spend a dime on a product of a company that is only specialized in a train and fishing simulator.  Let them first learn what aeronautics is all about and analyze the complicated FSX code before they even touch it. I can guarantee you that they're going to break a lot more add-ons than they've done so far, when they really start to edit in a more intensive way. Heck, the original FSX team is still struggling to get some issues in the original FSX code solved, so I don't see how Dovetails could do better.

Just my $0,02

I don't understand why people get so excited about something that tweaks FSX into something we already have by using our own tweaks, but also decides to break major add-ons like PMDG, ASN, FSUIPC and tons of others we don't know about yet. Sorry, but I will not even spend a dime on a product of a company that is only specialized in a train and fishing simulator.  Let them first learn what aeronautics is all about and analyze the complicated FSX code before they even touch it. I can guarantee you that they're going to break a lot more add-ons than they've done so far, when they really start to edit in a more intensive way. Heck, the original FSX team is still struggling to get some issues in the original FSX code solved, so I don't see how Dovetails could do better.

Just my $0,02

I was going to make a comment, but this post is so far removed from reality , so wrong on every level that its cringe worthy to read

Now you can install your FSX Steam. In regards to where Steam installs, I dont think have a choice. In almost every case its C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

Yes, you do have a choice, you can install it anywhere, you just need to set up a different directory to install it in. I explained the steps in another thread recently. You can either set up the new directory from the Settings menu (Steam - Settings - Downloads - Steam Library Folders), or you can do it after clicking on Install, where there's a button that asks where you want to install it. You can set up a new path from there.

I have Steam running on my E drive and I've got certain programs runnning on other drives. For FSX I'd recommend using a dedicated drive, ideally an SSD, but you can't set the root drive for the library, you have to create a folder, the default name is Steamlibrary.

Yes, you do have a choice, you can install it anywhere, you just need to set up a different directory to install it in. I explained the steps in another thread recently. You can either set up the new directory from the Settings menu (Steam - Settings - Downloads - Steam Library Folders), or you can do it after clicking on Install, where there's a button that asks where you want to install it. You can set up a new path from there.

I have Steam running on my E drive and I've got certain programs runnning on other drives. For FSX I'd recommend using a dedicated drive, ideally an SSD, but you can't set the root drive for the library, you have to create a folder, the default name is Steamlibrary.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was referring to installing FSX somewhere else than in the steam directory. You are correct that you can install steam anywhere you want.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was referring to installing FSX somewhere else than in the steam directory. You are correct that you can install steam anywhere you want.

Maybe you misunderstood. Yes, you can install Steam anywhere, but you don't have to install FSX in the main Steam directory, you can set up additional "Steam Library" directories to install different games in different places.

My main Steam directory is on drive E (which contains most of my games), but I also have a Steam Library on C for one particular game, and I'm going to create another Steam Library on drive F, purely for FSX-SE.

Maybe you misunderstood. Yes, you can install Steam anywhere, but you don't have to install FSX in the main Steam directory, you can set up additional "Steam Library" directories to install different games in different places.

My main Steam directory is on drive E (which contains most of my games), but I also have a Steam Library on C for one particular game, and I'm going to create another Steam Library on drive F, purely for FSX-SE.

Oh got it! Nice! Learn something new every day! 

Archived