fsx steam edition update

I don't  ever comment on new systems such as P3D or Steam,and am really happy with my Disk FSX setup...but..

reading through the list of fixes in the above link for the steam version of FSX is really promising isn't it..great to see.

If it keeps going like this I will be glad I never made the jump to P3D....and I will eventually go straight to Steam

But not yet...patience...paitience

Stu

Thank you for that information, I am glad to goto those people that said they wouldn't work to update FSX-SE after it's first release.

Me, it took me a couple weeks to get it installed and start using it, and find it's a lot better.  If you notice frames drop, it will not start jumping and lagging like the boxed edition did.  It just keep going.  I'm in directx 10 mode right now and it's very smooth all the time, there are some minor issues with it, like blinking lights, but all in all, I wouldn't ever go back to boxed edition and glad I didn't goto P3D after all.

Anyway, you guys enjoy what you have, as it appears that they will keep improving it to get better...

Well I am very much enjoying FSX/SE over the disk. For me I got a very nice balanced Performance boost on my setup when compared to the same setup using the Disk. With the disk err is all I'll say. The only thing I have is being online and that is minor and out of my control and Steam/DT. Blame the Sin City Cox provider who cant fix anything Internet if they tried lol. I hope my neighbor up in Reno has less issue's with his internet Provider.

Well I am very much enjoying FSX/SE over the disk. For me I got a very nice balanced Performance boost on my setup when compared to the same setup using the Disk. With the disk err is all I'll say. The only thing I have is being online and that is minor and out of my control and Steam/DT. Blame the Sin City Cox provider who cant fix anything Internet if they tried lol. I hope my neighbor up in Reno has less issue's with his internet Provider.

I'm 50 miles south of Reno with Charter, no problems hmmm...  hope you get your internet, it's the only real key to making it work.  There is a benefit, of being with steam, there is a buddy list and you can voice chat with your friends when they are on line.

Thank you for that information, I am glad to goto those people that said they wouldn't work to update FSX-SE after it's first release.

Me, it took me a couple weeks to get it installed and start using it, and find it's a lot better.  If you notice frames drop, it will not start jumping and lagging like the boxed edition did.  It just keep going.  I'm in directx 10 mode right now and it's very smooth all the time, there are some minor issues with it, like blinking lights, but all in all, I wouldn't ever go back to boxed edition and glad I didn't goto P3D after all.

Anyway, you guys enjoy what you have, as it appears that they will keep improving it to get better...

I have yet to install it.

Looking at the Steam forum, which I do a couple of times a day, there seem to be an awful lot of people have problems with it. Some of these can probably be discounted as people seem to expect things to work perfectly from minute one but when you see some of the "fatal error" issues....well, I think I'll stay with the boxed version. Particularly as I know what DTG's "customer support" is like.

Let's see how this patch goes. 

I have yet to install it.

Looking at the Steam forum, which I do a couple of times a day, there seem to be an awful lot of people have problems with it. Some of these can probably be discounted as people seem to expect things to work perfectly from minute one but when you see some of the "fatal error" issues....well, I think I'll stay with the boxed version. Particularly as I know what DTG's "customer support" is like.

Let's see how this patch goes. 

So here are my first impressions of the new update. 

1. I cant say frames are "higher" but they are certainly smoother. I will post a comparison later today but the vertex and index buffer changes seem to provide a more consistent stutter free experience for me. This is subjective, so I wont harp on it too much. 

Ground texture popping has nearly been eliminated if not greatly reduced. I believe it is due to the increase in the max per-frame texture upload change, but the days of seeing those black squares while Orbx ground textures populate are minimized. 

I for one am seeing much better stability especially when using FSDT mega airports. The addon manager and Couatl engine didnt play nice with the new .xml files and the use of the old simconnect SDK (<10.0.62601) and a clean install has made it run solid as a rock. Also its important to use the new FSUIPC from Pete found here: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/78436-fsuipc-4938c-is-needed-for-fsx-steam-edition-with-january-update/

I for one shared the same concerns as you, will Dovetail realize how demanding the Flight Sim community is and turn "tail" and run from us? The answer, if you follow the steam forums, their facebook, and even Pete Dawson's forums, is no. They have really been engaged and responsive with the community feedback. Just look at that change log!

To me, this has made my simming life new again. The real question is what will their new sim look like? It kinda hard to muck up FSX, but will their new platform take us in the right direction or back down the road to hell which was MS Flight? We will have to see. 

Here is a list of the changed files:

Files Added:

These are only used to populate new installations of FSX:SE and will not affect existing installations unless you decided to verify your game files through Steam.

ConfigData\AppData\dll.xml
ConfigData\AppData\exe.xml

Files Modified:

ablscpt.dll
acontain.dll
activate.exe
ai_player.dll
api.dll
atc.dll
controls.dll
demo.dll
DVDCheck.exe
effects\effects.CFG
eula.dll
facilities.dll
fe.dll
flight.dll
fs-traffic.dll
FS2000.exe
FS2002.exe
FS9.exe
fsui.dll
fsx.exe
FSXSEConfig.exe
g2d.dll
g3d.dll
gauges\737-400.dll
gauges\Beech_Baron.cab
gauges\Bell_206B.dll
gauges\Bendix_king_radio.dll
gauges\BoeingGeneric.dll
gauges\Cessna.dll
gauges\Cessna172.dll
gauges\Cessna182s.dll
gauges\CessnaWAlpha.dll
gauges\EH101.dll
gauges\FA-18.dll
gauges\fs9gps.cab
gauges\fs9_clock.cab
gauges\G1000.cab
gauges\Handheld_Radio.cab
gauges\KingAir.dll
gauges\KingAir_radio.dll
gauges\Magnetic_Compass.dll
gauges\Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll
gauges\MiniPanel.cab
gauges\Missions.cab
gauges\Mooney_Bravo.dll
gauges\n_number_plaque.cab
gauges\radar.cab
gauges\SimIcons.cab
gauges\SimIcons1024.cab
gps.dll
Installers\install.vdf
Kiosk.exe
language.dll
livingwater.dll
main.dll
mspac.dll
mspacres.dll
multiplayer.dll
panels.dll
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\inc\SimConnect.h
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\managed\Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\Sample.exe.manifest
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\SimConnect.lib
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\SimConnect.msi
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\AI Objects and Waypoints\AI Objects and Waypoints.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\AI Traffic\AI Traffic.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Client Event\Client Event.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Cockpit Camera\Cockpit Camera.exe 
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Dialog Box Mode\Dialog Box Mode.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\FacilitiesData\FacilitiesData.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Input Event\Input Event.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Joystick Input\Joystick Input.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Managed Client Event\Managed Client Event\Managed Client Event.csproj
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Managed Data Request\Managed Data Request\Managed Data Request.csproj
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Managed Facility Request\Managed Facility Request\Managed Facility Request.csproj
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Managed System Event\Managed System Event\Managed System Event.csproj
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Managed VB Data Request\Managed VB Data Request\VB Managed Data Request.vbproj
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Managed_AI_Waypoints\Managed_AI_Waypoints\Managed_AI_Waypoints.csproj
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Menu Items\Menu Items.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Mission Action\Mission Action.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\No Callback\No Callback.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Open and Close\Open and Close.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Request Data\Request Data.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Reserved Key\Reserved Key.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Send Event A\Send Event A.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Send Event B\Send Event B.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Send Event C\Send Event C.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Set Data\Set Data.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\System Event\System Event.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Tagged Data\Tagged Data.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\TextMenu\TextMenu.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Throttle Control\Throttle Control.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Tracking Errors\Tracking Errors.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Variable Strings\Variable Strings.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Weather Station\Weather Station.exe
SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Windows Event\Windows Event.exe
SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\Managed_Qmid.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\Managed_RiffMapper.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins\Managed_CrashTree.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins\Managed_Lookup_Keyword.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM9\Plugins\Managed_CrashTree.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM9\Plugins\Managed_Lookup_Keyword.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack\Plugins\Managed_CrashTree.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack\Plugins\Managed_Lookup_Keyword.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll
SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll
SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll
setup\setuploc.dll
sim1.dll
SimConnect.dll
simprop.dll
simpropace.dll
simpropext.dll
simscheduler.dll
sldlext.dll
sound.dll
symmap.dll
terrain.dll
ui.dll
Unsigned\eula.dll
Unsigned\fsui.dll
Unsigned\Kiosk.exe
Unsigned\language.dll
Unsigned\symmap.dll
util.dll
visualfx.dll
weather.dll
window.dll
xuipc.dll

Hi Wings138 !

What are your PC specifications ?  I am curious... 

thanks !

I have a HP with a AMD 6 core processor, 6 gigs of ram, an NVidia GT640 with 2 gigs of DDR3, 500 gig hard drive, and tons of Saitek add-ons.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7 (no it's not OEM, because that was Win 8.0).  I did a total format and installed everything clean.

I don't know if it's a placebo effect or anything. I used to get 22 fps (smooth, though) 35% FTX AU traffic at YMML with AU SP4 (night and overcast) with P3D v2.4. I get that the sliders scale differently compared to FSX and all, plus with the shadows turned on, it makes P3d a more taxing sim. I did try to turn stuff off to match FSX and the max I got was 26-28 fps. With FSX:SE I got a mostly solid 30 fps on same situation(locked, p3d locked wont even go close) with rare dips to 28 fps.

Maybe it's because I don't launch ObjectFlow.dll on purpose knowing it does not work yet, but I expect a loss of 2 fps or so, which is still higher. Never tried stock FSX though, because it stuttered a lot on my new system.

Liking it so far, and with developers launching planes at a much higher price point compared to FSX, I'm starting to lean towards FSX:SE.

Other stuff used and hardware:

MJC Q400 1.012

i5 4690k @ 4.7Ghz

GTX970

8GB RAM

FSX:SE is really starting to take off (pun intended) from what I can see. There are some subtle but really nice improvements, and devs are starting to roll out the compatibility patches. Once Orbx flow dlls work I'll be happier than ever. It might even stop my transfer to P3D!

I have to say that I am having great success with FSX/SE so far. I am having pretty good success with all of the ORBX products I have installed. As well as the aircraft that I use. Carenado, A2A simulations, Aerosoft. I have everything maxed with many tweaks making it run way above extreme settings. Built a new hardcore PC recently for top gaming.

there are so many sims now that are almost the same that i don't know which one to use, i am on the fsx box edition now and been messing with xplane in my spare time, i would like to see orbx dabble with xplane-10, but i doubt that will ever happen because of the small market, but we can all wish

You can't compare FSX SE with P3D, both are build on ESP but totally different. In the future you will only see some bug fixes on FSX SE, not the improvements like we see in P3D.

You're right mate! P3Dv2.4 is very ripe for the jump: soon it will be 64 bit and the future anybory know! Not even the LM ...

iPhone-Tapatalk

Just out of interest.....as FSX:SE will inevitably create its own logbook.bin is there a way of merging the two so that if I was to ditch my boxed version and go with SE I'd still have all my old pilot records?

Since the core products are basically the same, I would imagine you could save your existing logbook.bin and then copy it back after installing FSX-SE. I did this with all of my flight plans and it worked like a champ.

By the way, my experience with FSX-SE has been nothing but VERY favorable (clean install - not dual). Yes, some add-ons initially had issues, but everyone has been great about either fixing the issues, or letting us know that fixes are in the works.

And one of the add-ons that no longer works (RealityXP) let me to purchasing the Flight1 GTN 750 - which is simply AWESOME!

SE has been a good investment for me.  It runs a bit better than the boxed version, ORBX products, except for object flow (being worked on) work well and it gives an option for future FSX as it has little issues on 8.1.  The only part I do not really like is the online part (supposed to be addressed) in which you have to be logged in to steam to play.  A system upgrade possibility may keep me in the P3D camp, but it's always nice to have options.

You can't compare FSX SE with P3D, both are build on ESP but totally different. In the future you will only see some bug fixes on FSX SE, not the improvements like we see in P3D.

I disagree. LM has really only contributed eye candy such as cloud shadows to their simulator, HDR, and dynamic waves. But all that just amounts to faster OOM's. DT, even with their limited rights, has virtually solved the OOM/VAS leaks we have been plagued by for far too long, sped up the simulator significantly, and optimized its engine while retaining the FSX look and feel. It may not seem as visually different as P3D, but it was enough for me to uninstall my 2.4 and go exclusively FSX:SE until LM delivers a 64 bit solution (or Dovetail for that matter)

Archived