Big Sur, CA

OscarGrant

If I understand correctly, the recent Monument Valley release highlighted a special kind of scenery development using the developer's 3D rock formations and rockface textures on the "monuments" in that area.  It's spectacular, as I went fully retired 3 years ago and bought a touring motorcycle, and have ridden through that area several times since then.  Kudos to the developer!  But that rockface texture type wouldn't apply to the Big Sur area (where I have also ridden on Hwy 1 numerous times too).

What you are waiting for...along with the rest of us  :D ...is the upcoming release of the NA Southern California Region.  It will (I think) "finish" the entire west coast of the U.S. from Washington to the Mexican border, starting at the current Monterey area on the southern part of NA Northern CA and continuing south.  Big Sur will be in that, and it should be spectacular too.  But I doubt Big Sur itself will be developed anywhere along the lines of a "special area" like Monument Valley.

But hang on to your dream.  Big Sur IS coming! 

If I understand correctly, the recent Monument Valley release highlighted a special kind of scenery development using the developer's 3D rock formations and rockface textures on the "monuments" in that area.  It's spectacular, as I went fully retired 3 years ago and bought a touring motorcycle, and have ridden through that area several times since then.  Kudos to the developer!  But that rockface texture type wouldn't apply to the Big Sur area (where I have also ridden on Hwy 1 numerous times too).

What you are waiting for...along with the rest of us  :D ...is the upcoming release of the NA Southern California Region.  It will (I think) "finish" the entire west coast of the U.S. from Washington to the Mexican border, starting at the current Monterey area on the southern part of NA Northern CA and continuing south.  Big Sur will be in that, and it should be spectacular too.  But I doubt Big Sur itself will be developed anywhere along the lines of a "special area" like Monument Valley.

But hang on to your dream.  Big Sur IS coming! 

that's wat im hoping for I hope they start where they left off in Monterey!!

+1.  Being from Monterey, I second that!

Me too.  I'm retired in Las Vegas now, but many moons ago my first Air Force assignment was at the Presidio for language training.  I still make at least a couple motorcycle trips a year to the Monterey/Big Sur/Hwy 1 area.  I can even see the dorm building I lived in at the Presidio in the ORBX Monterey scenery.  Had my PPL when I joined the Air Force, so I rented Cessna 172's from the FBO on KMRY while stationed there.  Took friends for rides along the coast down to Big Sur and other local areas.  It's like deja-vu flying in FSX there now with the Monterey airport scenery.  

Me too.  I'm retired in Las Vegas now, but many moons ago my first Air Force assignment was at the Presidio for language training.  I still make at least a couple motorcycle trips a year to the Monterey/Big Sur/Hwy 1 area.  I can even see the dorm building I lived in at the Presidio in the ORBX Monterey scenery.  Had my PPL when I joined the Air Force, so I rented Cessna 172's from the FBO on KMRY while stationed there.  Took friends for rides along the coast down to Big Sur and other local areas.  It's like deja-vu flying in FSX there now with the Monterey airport scenery.  

What language?

Russian.  It was still the Cold War era while I was there.  I don't use it much anymore, though.  I could still understand it if I heard a pilot reporting his location, altitude, and airspeed.  But if I tried to order a pizza with it today, there's a good chance I'd end up with a bowl of borscht instead.   ^-^

Russian.  It was still the Cold War era while I was there.  I don't use it much anymore, though.  I could still understand it if I heard a pilot reporting his location, altitude, and airspeed.  But if I tried to order a pizza with it today, there's a good chance I'd end up with a bowl of borscht instead.   ^-^

Mine was Chinese...still use it.

The entire trip from Monterey to Cambria along California Highway 1 is one of the most spectacular drives in America.  It rates right up there with the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Traceway.

Noel

It is, indeed.  Highway 101 up into Oregon is also awesome.

The entire trip from Monterey to Cambria along California Highway 1 is one of the most spectacular drives in America.  It rates right up there with the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Traceway.

Noel

The Natchez Trace, wow, now that is a nice scenic route. Before I moved to Hawaii, as I am an avid cyclist, I have ridden up and down the Trace many, many times. Spring is the best, unless you have bad allergies ;) PCH though is a very wonderfully scenic route all the way up and down the west coast of the U.S. Another nice, but much shorter scenic route down in southern Tennessee , east of Chattanooga is the Dragons Tail, a very popular route  with motorcycle riders as it winds along through the mountains as it parallels the Ocoee River. As you drive or ride this route, you pass the site of the 1996 Summer Olympics white water competition area. This drive is of course, best in Summer.

Archived