Yet more tales from the dark side

Adam Banks

The madness continues with my last favourite from FSX making its debut in P3D - the Captain Sim C-130.

p3d_c130_01_66_1280.jpg

p3d_c130_02_681_1280.jpg

p3d_c130_03_424_1280.jpg

p3d_c130_04_884_1280.jpg

p3d_c130_05_593_1280.jpg

After hours of messing with various sky textures (including "Soft Clouds") - to try to eliminate the cheesy P3D dark bottoms on scattered clouds, I found that resurrecting my ancient FEX gave me the best results!

Adam.

What A great set! :)

Thank you, Sir!

Maybe at some point Adam , you can start a P3D blog like what you did with DX10 . I value your input mate .

The old "Adam" style is re-emerging - your comparisons with FSX could be a very helpful guide to those of us still comparing the greenness of the grass.

Hey - less of the OLD :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brad/Dave: I must admit I'm wondering how much more input there'll be on the old DX10 "HowTo" since going over, as it were. Maybe the novelty will wear off soon and I'll be itching to get back into my PMDG 737 again!

What I can definitely say so far, is that putting P3D and FSX on the same system (at the same time) is an easy option. No tools or registry hacking needed and many add-ons still retain their original activation info.

Santa kindly gave me P3D, but it's not *that* expensive (it you get the Academic). Some FSX add-ons cost more. If you install on the same system, you can flip back and forth between the two and gradually port over you favourites.

Adam.

Great shots, and now bring on that upgrade... You'll see how much of a difference the vegetation shadows make on top of all that! :D

As for clouds, I've never liked the REX style of clouds, so I've stuck with FEX in that area ever since release. My favorite set in both FSX and P3D is Naturally Dense 2 (downloadable from the main screen, should be at the bottom of the Recent Themes list, or on page 10 of the Cloud Themes list).

Skies also take some work, none of the FSX themes or REX4 P3D themes really worked for me. I'm now using Gabriel Rodrigues' Sky Textures for ENB Series v1.2 (nice natural blues, beautiful(!!!) sunsets) with just some tiny edits to soften the dark component on clouds and make sunlight a bit warmer during the day.

I'm still experimenting with water, and I see you got some really nice results in another thread... I'd love to know your secret... >:D

Enjoy your pressie, and keep the beautiful shots coming ;)

Tym

Archived