Best Scenic Airports Anyone?

pvs193

Being primarily interested in scenic flying, I've bought most of the Orbx terrain regions, but no airports yet.

Apparently some airports contain quite a bit of additional scenery (by which I mean the surrounding landscape, particularly photo scenery) so I'd like to buy a few of those.

I haven't looked closely at all of them (there's so many), but it seems that Bozeman, West Yellowstone and Jackson Hole include quite a bit of additional scenery. Queenstown and Milford Sound look pretty good too, and I also like the look of Squamish. I'm sure there must be others that I've missed.

Can anyone tell me which airports contain the most and/or best surrounding landscape scenery? This would be very helpful to me.

BTW, I'm not disinterested in the airports themselves, I just prefer to visit airports in the most scenically interesting areas.

Squamish has a TON of detail as far as having the local town built in, but Redding and Monterey do as well.  Should mention Bonners Ferry in there also.  And Palm Springs is massive. 

If you are looking for just beautiful countryside to fly over, mountains, water, etc. then I would suggest that you cannot go wrong just about any offering -- ORBX wouldn't make it otherwise.  Even Alice Springs is has its own brand of beauty.  But my favorites would be both NZ offerings, along with Tahoe, Orcas Island, and well, it is a long list....

(KMRY) Monterey Regional is beautifully done, and if you have the Northern California Region, you wont be disappointed. I also like Historical Felts Field Airport (KSFF), great scenery over the Spokane area.

Thanks, I'll check those out. I don't have NorCal yet, but I will very soon.

Squamish has a TON of detail as far as having the local town built in, but Redding and Monterey do as well.  Should mention Bonners Ferry in there also.  And Palm Springs is massive. 

If you are looking for just beautiful countryside to fly over, mountains, water, etc. then I would suggest that you cannot go wrong just about any offering -- ORBX wouldn't make it otherwise.  Even Alice Springs is has its own brand of beauty.  But my favorites would be both NZ offerings, along with Tahoe, Orcas Island, and well, it is a long list....

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll take a look at those.

Yeah, I'm sure all Orbx airports are good, but some must be better than others, so I'd like to start with some of the best ones. I don't find the English airports particularly appealing, but then I don't find southern England particularly appealing either (I don't mean the Orbx scenery, I mean the actual place - I prefer mountainous terrain).

If money were no object, I'd buy them all, but it is so I can't. At the moment I can only afford to buy a few, so I'm trying to narrow down my choices.

Canberra Cityscape.

But I see you have nothing in Australia.

This is by far one one the most REAL scenery ever done for GA flying. 

You know what, I'll take a break from Norway because I have been there since it came out and go back to Canberra.

Ben

Canberra Cityscape.

But I see you have nothing in Australia.

This is by far one one the most REAL scenery ever done for GA flying. 

You know what, I'll take a break from Norway because I have been there since it came out and go back to Canberra.

Ben

Yeah, Canberra looks interesting. If I got that I guess it would make sense to buy the airport to go with it too.

I do have Australia actually, I just forgot to update my sig. Haven't installed it yet though, been too busy flying around PNW and NRM. Been having fun exploring Canada for a while.

I can now appreciate just how addictive it is flying in the Orbx envirnonment. Currently, I am absorbed with flying around the UK but am certainly looking forward to regions like Australia and the Pacific Northwest. Videos of these regions are testament to just how good they are. I guess that Orbx will go from strength to strength as they conquer the world in this way. I can see that my passion has very long legs!

Currently, I am really enjoying Sumburgh. Shame that P3D still doesn't have the water sorted, seems to be much better in FSX. Hopefully, the next version 2.5 will bring a modicum of sollace.

I am like you out for a new airport as i also have alot of regions. Just out to buy the new Norway,

Spending some time in my first regions Australia,  Cairns is also really nice.

Happy new year 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cbx_UJKS7U&list=UU-8xCaUPTkfGhwcqKnav_Tg

Michael Moe

Yeah, Canberra looks interesting. If I got that I guess it would make sense to buy the airport to go with it too.

I do have Australia actually, I just forgot to update my sig. Haven't installed it yet though, been too busy flying around PNW and NRM. Been having fun exploring Canada for a while.

Yes, I would get the airport too. I said Canberra because you said scenic. It's the best representation of a complete city with fairly good FPS

NZMF is way up there to, 2 strip, an incredible airport and the most impressive area to fly in for GA. If you like to fly in between mountains... landing on 2 very hard to land airfield. For me, NZ south in on pair with Norway

Also, in SAK, Juneau is very impressive.

Bozeman, West Yellowstone and Jackson Hole

Yes, another good choice.

So far, I think that the mountain in NZ south are simply the most realistic stuff ORBX as done so far. Well, close to the best.

I mean it's very hard do decide.

Ben

Please consider Queenstown New Zealand, NZQN

Two downloads needed NZSI and NZQN

Airport in a deep valley surrounded by high mountains and a city by the lake.

Here are some Google images https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1252&bih=606&q=queenstown+new+zealand&oq=queenstown&gs_l=img.1.1.0l10.1249.4536.0.7868.10.5.0.5.5.0.179.886.0j5.5.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.60.img..0.10.913.R4PB0x8qLOc

HNY

Ken

NZMF is way up there to, 2 strip, an incredible airport and the most impressive area to fly in for GA. If you like to fly in between mountains... landing on 2 very hard to land airfield. For me, NZ south in on pair with Norway

So far, I think that the mountain in NZ south are simply the most realistic stuff ORBX as done so far. Well, close to the best.

Ben

I would recommend Milford Sound (NZMF). It contains three additional airstrips too. One is nestled in a steep narrow valley and the other two on the coast.

Please consider Queenstown New Zealand, NZQN

Two downloads needed NZSI and NZQN

Airport in a deep valley surrounded by high mountains and a city by the lake.

Ken

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to say that Queenstown and Milford are both at the top of my list. I used to fly around NZ (mostly the South Island) all the time in FS9 some years ago (using the Red Baron mesh etc.), and Queenstown to Milford was my favourite flight, which I did many times. Queenstown was effectively my home airport. I'm glad to hear you (Ben) say that the NZ South mountains are so realistic. I'm really looking forward to experiencing NZ at a whole new level of detail. However, since I'm still relatively new to Orbx and I've flown around NZ so much in the past, I've decided to postpone that for now, while I explore other areas that are new to me.

So far I've been spending most of my time exploring southern BC (PNW & NRM) and I've decided that I have to get Squamish. Now I think it's probably time to start heading a bit further south, to get to know Washington and Oregon better. I typically start most of my flights in the lower Fraser vally, from Vancouver, Langley or Chilliwack. There's a lot of airports available for PNW so I thought it might make more sense to get some airports close to the areas I'm exploring.

Orcas Island is only a short hop away, so that seems like a good choice, but right now I'm thinking that Cushman Meadows may offer some of the best nearby photo scenery. Any other particularly good ones in the Washington west area?

So right now I'm planning to get Northern California, plus Squamish and Cushman, and possibly another if I can stretch to it, although my funds are very low at this time of year!

Hello

Yes, I concur, KMRY-KTVL-KJAC-KPSP-KSNA-KSFF.  The flight from KJAC to KSFF is really scenic.  Lots of mountains and shadows.

Matthew

They all look good, thanks, but how did John Wayne airport get into that list? Orbx don't do that one, do they?

As for the route you recommend, yes, looking at the map it does look like it's probably a great route to fly, thanks.

I can now appreciate just how addictive it is flying in the Orbx envirnonment. Currently, I am absorbed with flying around the UK but am certainly looking forward to regions like Australia and the Pacific Northwest. Videos of these regions are testament to just how good they are. I guess that Orbx will go from strength to strength as they conquer the world in this way. I can see that my passion has very long legs!

Currently, I am really enjoying Sumburgh. Shame that P3D still doesn't have the water sorted, seems to be much better in FSX. Hopefully, the next version 2.5 will bring a modicum of sollace.

I spent a lot of time flying around England and Wales some years back, using photo scenery. Great fun, but I'm enjoying Canada too much right now. When I get back I'll be more keen to explore Ireland and Scotland, which didn't have photo scenery available back then.

I am like you out for a new airport as i also have alot of regions. Just out to buy the new Norway,

Spending some time in my first regions Australia,  Cairns is also really nice.

Yeah, that looks good, thanks. Australia will probably be next on my list when (if) I get bored with Canada/US.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they've been very helpful.

And happy new year to everyone!

• 3 months later...

- KMRY, absolutely one of my favourite Airport to start VFR trips to San Francisco!

THX to Jarrad Marshall for that masterpice...!!!

After Orbx Libraries Vers. 150331 (and NCA active!) KMRY fits perfect to photo real BlueSkyScenery, i prefere for this region!

- KPSP, Palm Springs: another great ORBX Scenery wich covers a huge nearly photo real area.

- Canberra Cityscape: slow and low VFR with helicopter and autogen "very dense" is absolut stunning and more than less near to photo reality (it bears comparison with google earth!)

KMRYC172-Kopie.jpg2015-4-24_13-24-42-176.jpg

Archived