How many of you actually keep autogen at max?

Mac_Maddog88

I've tried it. It's just too situational. I hate having to lower it when flying a jet or anything other than my Carenado planes, therefore it stays at Dense. Lots of product screenshots look to be at max I've noticed.

So, any of you? Apparently the 4770k at 4.3 GHz doesn't cut it.

I am running a PC that is seven years old.  At the time it was hand-built from specifically chosen parts.  As I work in IT, I had a pretty good idea of what parts would work with what, and the PC was built accordingly.  On it's day, it was top of the line, cutting edge even, and quite expensive.  But, the idea was for it to stand the test of time.  It is.  As a result, I am still getting decent frame rates with FSX even despite using high-end aircraft like PMDG's 737-NGX and Aerosoft's Airbuses ... not to mention Active Sky Next, ORBX sceneries, and a range of other add-ons.

Until I started using the high-end aircraft, I was able to run Autogen at max.  But, once I added the high-end aircraft to my hanger, I had to drop that down a couple of notches to "Normal".

I'm happy with the "Normal" setting.  Everything's still working fine.  The real secret, which I found after plenty of experimentation, was to NOT tweak the sim.  I don't use Nvidia Inspector, haven't overclocked my CPU, don't use an external frame rate limiter, and the only thing I have added to my FSX.cfg file is the HIGHMEM fix.

So, I used to run Autogen at max, but with some high-end aircraft and other add-ons, I now run my autogen at "Normal".  And, with no tweaks, she runs like an absolute charm, even on a seven year old PC!

I have to agree with freddy, not run a bunch of config tweaks! I got into the sickness of tweaking FSX for a while, and it seemed all I was doing was fixing things. This last go around with reinstalling and setting up things I've only added the HIGHMEM line. Now, I do use Nvidia Inspector but that is it. I fly online with a military air wing. I was having problems with the planes jittering when I got close to them. When I let FSX rebuild the config file and just added the mem fix, things are very smooth now. My scenery setting are set for the Orbx scenery which I run global, vector all of the NA regions. The Autogen it set a very dense. I fly the VRS superbug. Like freddy, I run ASN w/ Rex4 and Ultimate Traffic 2. And I'm only running an i5 4core CPU with a GTX650 2Gig card.  Also I have my OS on an SSD and FSX is on it's own SSD. That is a big plus, the SSDs!!  I have stopped dong the config tweak dance and just fly!

David

I have autogen maxxed. I fly mostly in PNW and Alaska. Works like a charm with Prepar3D v2.4, and I have a pretty old computer. In FSX everything turns into a slideshow with the same settings.

There is some texture blurring and autogen popping in the Seattle-Vancouver area (I Have John Patch's Vancouver+ v3 scenery), but other than that no problems.

I have cut back some on shadows, shadow quality, reflections and cloud radius.

I run max except where I have a VAS issue east of Seattle and I'll turn it down if the weather's bad.  (Why run max if the weather's bad?)  I don't use many FSX tweaks but I've tuned NI (FSX) like a guitar.

I have it maxxed in P3Dv2.4. It is much smoother than FSX, since I can fly over a large area of very dense woodland and not experience any reduction in smoothness. This is partly because, I believe, P3D2 shifts tree rendering from the CPU to the GPU. I do however get a small reduction in frames in areas of very large building autogen - such as London.

Extremely Dense here. I'm allergic to flat 2D imprints of buildings ruining the illusion of 3D.

However I mainly fly Carenado and such in fair weather conditions, so I can divert the computing power to scenery.

I use to until I installed Vector. I guess the extra detail on top of a few FTX Freeware A/P's and a lot of FTX Payware A/P's on top of all my NA region packs is just too much for my rig to handle even when I cutback Autogen to normal and turnoff some Vector features. I've owned FSX since release, I could count the number of CTD's - all OOM's - I'd experienced on the fingers of one hand. Now it's almost a daily occurence and I'm hard pressed to figure out what combination of settings will work without stutters and OOM's.

Archived