Morning Appalachian Hop

arnobg

Wanted to share a quick morning flight over the Appalachians in my neck of the woods, from a great FTX freeware airport Asheville Regional to my home airport Tri-Cities Regional. 

Anyone familiar with the area knows the tallest point on the east coast lies directly in between this route, Mt. Mitchell at 6,684 MSL. With a little deviation to the west on the way, you fly over the Great Smoky Mountains. With a little deviation to the east you run into NC06 (another great FTX freeware airport on top of a mountain ridge with a challenging approach).

Also wanted to share a little teaser, I am working on a scenery for KTRI, as there isn't even an accurate AFCAD with many of the changes the airport has gone through.  Enjoy!

Departing Asheville to the north

avl1_zps6c0fae0f.png

Love the accurate morning valley haze 

avl5_zps02a75056.png

Passing over Interstate-26

avl2_zpsb5d68b6f.png

Asheville heading to the rearview

avl3_zps4e086ba1.png

Hopefully there's no mountain waves this morning

avl4_zpsdc2820f8.png

Approaching the Tri-Cities area from east of the Smokies

avl6_zps62b7911f.png

Passing over Johnson City, TN

avl8_zps71b0a704.png

Johnson City Airport 0A4 and Holston Mountain Vortac HMV coming up on the left

avl9_zps4f2be898.png

Crossing Boone Lake to set up for a left base to Runway 23

avl10_zpsaac5f912.png

Great shots of a beautiful area to fly in!

I have used the NC06 freeware-airfield you mentioned, taking-off and heading southward to follow the North Toe River to overfly 7A8 Spruce Pine, then turn round and go back ...

NC06 is a challenging airfield for sure!! I did find a youtube video a while ago that talks you through the use of the airfield which gave useful pointers

Thanks for posting, enjoy your flights, and best of luck with your KTRI project

Angus.

Thanks guys, tried to be a little creative this is only the second set of screenshots I've ever done.

Great shots of a beautiful area to fly in!

I have used the NC06 freeware-airfield you mentioned, taking-off and heading southward to follow the North Toe River to overfly 7A8 Spruce Pine, then turn round and go back ...

NC06 is a challenging airfield for sure!! I did find a youtube video a while ago that talks you through the use of the airfield which gave useful pointers

Thanks for posting, enjoy your flights, and best of luck with your KTRI project

Angus.

I know exactly what video you're talking about. It's a private golf course airport and there's certain procedures to fly into there, it's required to watch the video before landing there. Very challenging and fun!

Archived