50 of 90...we are more than half way there!

Kilstorm

A quick count of native triple installers for P3Dv2 payware Orbx products gives me a total of about 50 out of their 90 already released products. Of the 40 left to convert, I'd say I'm waiting on about 30 of them but its great to know that we are more than half way there on this extremely labor intensive task the Orbx team is doing while still focused on new releases. Great work Orbx Team!

I must be born under a bad sign. Of my 18 legacy payware airports, 0 have been converted (I'm heavily concentrated around Seattle and the Alaska panhandle but also have KJAC/KWYS in FSX). The progress is undeniable, it just seems to be in areas that don't have. I suspect that a big part of it is that lot of the airports I have are by developers no longer on the ORBX payroll. I do have four ORBX payware airports on P3D V2, but they are all newer airports that had P3D V2 installers at release. I'll be patient, though.

I suspect that a big part of it is that lot of the airports I have are by developers no longer on the ORBX payroll.

I raised the issue some weeks back and it was univocably stated by the OrbX management that all the airports will be converted. They indeed recently released Bill Womack's Siletz Bay . 

I raised the issue some weeks back and it was univocably stated by the OrbX management that all the airports will be converted. They indeed recently released Bill Womack's Siletz Bay . 

In fact all of Bill's airports have been converted already: Stark's, Cushman and Siletz.

Also, the UK airports of Sim720 have been converted already, while Russ White's UK airports are next in line.

So the work of former OrbX designers aren't orphaned at all, actually quite to the contrary thanks to very hardworking folks like Graham, Alex, Gordon etc.

Hi,

I feel we are running into a serious issue of timescales here. When the timescale for addon developers to catch up becomes comparable to the timescale of incompatible Prepar3d releases, this whole scheme of "compatibility" becomes questionable. Does it really make sense to release the last P3D2 airport a couple of months before the advent of P3D3?

To make this crystal clear: ORBX has done a tremendous effort here, which I highly appreciate. There is a big maker not to name here who has thrown the towel on this. In my opinion, this LM scheme of "sort of compatibility" seems to lead us into upgrade Nirwana, being poison for the developers as well as for the users. Actually, I'd even say this "sort of compatibility" is the worst solution we can have: It forces addon developers to continually catch up while it excludes changes urgently necessary. This can't be compared to FS98 any more, where revision of a hand full of addons was sufficient.

LM supposedly will not care what I think, however, in my opinion, they would be well advised to either keep compatibility between releases to 110 % - or completely break it from time to time. This last approach would reset all developers to "Start", however give the opportunity to introduce changes long overdue like 64 bit or a complete revision of the Airport/Navaid database being nearly 10 years old now, which may be sufficient for an arcade game, but not for a professional training tool.

Just my 2c, Michael

Does it really make sense to release the last P3D2 airport a couple of months before the advent of P3D3?

YES.  There is no time frame of when or if P3Dv3 will be released although I have my faith in LM that it will just not before the end of the year.  Once its released all addons will need to be built from near scratch so its going to be even longer before we start to see addons in it.  It will basically be like the time when we went from FS9 to FSX and yet FSX still is a high demand platform for many so yes is my answer.

YES.  There is no time frame of when or if P3Dv3 will be released although I have my faith in LM that it will just not before the end of the year.  Once its released all addons will need to be built from near scratch so its going to be even longer before we start to see addons in it.  It will basically be like the time when we went from FS9 to FSX and yet FSX still is a high demand platform for many so yes is my answer.

+1

What I understand is that the decision in principle was taken but not more. It is my guess that we will not see a 64 bits V3.0 release  before late 2016 and a stable and well stocked (addons) version later. If we ever see one as a lot of things may happen in the meantime, remember that flight simulation for the general public is not exactly LM core business !

According to several polls, P3D1 users died out quickly after P3D2 became available, despite compatibility issues. I may be an early bird, but I'll quickly switch to P3D3 should it work properly and offer convincing features.

However, this is certainly a highly speculative subject not worth much discussion today. My main point was rather the present state of "sort of compatibility". Consider Burkhard Renk, the author of MyTraffic, being chasing with any point release to catch up with code changes and finally *sometime* to get a working P3D2 AI addon out.  Consider upgrading issues of users between point releases because addon XYZ crashes the newly upgraded version. So, what I really wanted to suggest, either keep compatibility completely or just break it. I am sorry, if I couldn't make this quite clear.

Kind regards, Michael

So, what I really wanted to suggest, either keep compatibility completely or just break 

Why Michael, the world is not black and white, is it ? Speaking of V2.x (V3 is another story), I want compatibility to use my FSX sceneries and aircraft. But I also want new features like the environment shadowing which cannot but break somewhat compatibility. As we say in French I want the butter and the money for the butter. So the present situation, new features with progressive adaptation of legacy addons is perfect (for me). Lets be glad that OrbX does the job and doesn't charge for it. Butter and the money. I was appalled to learn  yesterday, in a post at Avsim, that PMDG has supposedly crippled its FSX 777 to forbid its use in P3D. Another vision. I don't like it :).   

I have invested in P3Dv2 not even a year ago and do not plan to buy V3 in the near future (and I assume many other simmers think the same). In addition JV has stated that upgrading Orbx products to V3 won’t be FOC, but will cost a fee. For these reasons I am very happy that Orbx will release V2 versions for all of their legacy FSX products.

Lets be glad that OrbX does the job and doesn't charge for it. Butter and the money.   

This may pay off for ORBX partly - and I hope it does - giving them a little advance to competition. However, it tied quite an amount of their ressources, notably for testing, which could have been devoted to new developments otherwise.

According to JV, ORBX will not repeat this for future P3D main versions, which says it pretty much. A position, which I can well understand from an economic point of view.

Kind regards, Michael

I think ORBX have been doing a pretty good job of updating their products, given the wobblers that P3D has thrown at developers with all the different incarnations of P3D we've had.

That plus the fact that a few notable developers have (for whatever reasons) left the ORBX fold, and new developers don't unfortunately grow on trees, has meant a significant workload being placed on few shoulders. My hat is off and I offer kudos to the ORBX developers for the great job they've done so far in getting all regions out for P3D plus a now considerable number of airports, while at the same time still coming out with new product.

Cheers

Jack

Developers come and go; we don't chain them to Orbx so it's a free market. Some of them want to try their hand at new startup companies and self publishing and that is good for the FS community in all honesty. A lot of our developers published with other companies before joining Orbx so again, it's a free market.

But Jack is right in that did leave us a lot of orphaned projects where disk drives had to be shunted all around the world to get source files etc etc. In some cases the original developers though they had enough time to do the ports themselves but that did not transpire as they planned, so we had to hire other devs to do the work. Not a trivial task indeed, and let's be frank - it's been bloody expensive for us really.

You should see a flurry of ports coming Nov-Jan, and I know it's taken longer than I thought but we're not charging for it and we sold the original versions on the premise of FSX/P3D1 which they work for 100%

Don't complain about compat issues brought about by new tech or improving platforms though; this is good for the FS community and I would rather continual improvements to core platforms than a dying stale one abandoned by its owners.

My OP was just to say how overall more than half the great products have already been converted which to me is a big mile stone and a congrats to the team. The idea of having 90 products in itself is a huge achievement and then to go back and work on all of them again in the time that the Orbx Team has done this is just proof to the companies commitment to us customers I feel.  

Don't complain about compat issues brought about by new tech or improving platforms though; this is good for the FS community and I would rather continual improvements to core platforms than a dying stale one abandoned by its owners.

+10....That about covers it right there...there have been a lot of growing pains caused by the new technologies being released in 2.x, but ive taken them in stride and thoroughly enjoyed all of the new immersive details.. p3d2, with vector 1.2, OH MY GOD, its just a thing of beauty...

I am going to stick with this version of P3DV2 until such a point where it (a) is just really not good enough anymore, given other advances in technology and ( 8) at least 85-90% of my favorite scenery and aircraft will be compatible with the new version, if if I have to pay for it. I made the jump from FSX to P3Dv2 probably about 6 months too soon, with about 70-75% of my addons being compatible (much less really, but I was able to some tools to do some conversion work myself).

Anyway, I obviously missed a banner day on 10/28 with all the Triple Installer announcements, so special thanks again to JV and the ORBX team -- that is just awesome. Getting closer and closer now.

I am going to stick with this version of P3DV2 until such a point where it (a) is just really not good enough anymore, given other advances in technology and ( 8) at least 85-90% of my favorite scenery and aircraft will be compatible with the new version, if if I have to pay for it. I made the jump from FSX to P3Dv2 probably about 6 months too soon, .......

Ripcord, your argument is why I decided right from the beginning to "sit on the fence" and stay with FSX. And as time goes on I am getting less convinced rather than the reverse to swap over.

I have now got a very stable high end system that is running FSX like a dream and whilst I am sure I will cause ruffles, I can not see enough decernable difference in screenshots. With comments made in this thread I am even less likely to change platforms.

What concerns me now is I'm beginning to see a rift similar perhaps to the debate in Audio terms where you have the Valve Amplifier cum Vinyl records versus Solid State Amplifiers and CD's on the other side. Or another example may be VHS versus Beta video format.

The outcome as has already been pointed out is the enormous effort required in the continual catch up chase and at the possible detriment to new development of Scenery and Airports.

I understand the commercial interests that are a factor here (and acknowledge all the good work being done by ORBX) but do worry about where we are heading.

For me (as I have stated some time ago) it is a matter of economics. I have spent a considerable sum on my (nearly) new system which will only accommodate one platform, so I will never be swapping from one to another until a replacement can do close to 100% of what FSX (and all the 3rd party utility add-on's) can do for me without having to wait months or years.

It seems to be a trap we fall into of continually chasing the Holy Grail.

And one more possible reason to sit with FSX is to see what Dovetail Games have up their sleeves.

Anton via Tapatalk

Archived