NZNI Wishlist/buglist

Adam Banks

First of all: a massive thanks for all the work on NZNI - the "Cinderella" of the FTX world :lol:.

Here's Auckland at night as it's never looked before!
nzni_nzaa_00_1280.jpg

I'd like to add a couple of "wishes", should the devs have some time on their hands:

The Sky Tower in the Auckland CBD has puny (almost invisible) beacons at the top. In RL, I can see them plainly from near my house - 4km away! Any chance of sticking a brighter beacon or two up there in case my C172 bumps into it?
nzni_nzaa_01_1280.jpg

In a fair few FTX sceneries, I'm sure I've seen lights on/across bridges. Any chance of the Auckland Harbour Bridge getting some - to go with the magic/luminous road coating we appear to have? :lol:
nzni_nzaa_02_1280.jpg

This is a long-standing one I hoped might have got nailed in the patch. Along the coast, just east of NZNE. I've left the slew info in there for co-ordinates.
nzni_nzne_1280.jpg

If anyone else spots any more NZNI "gotchas", please add them here - you never know, they may catch a dev's eye!

Adam.

Thanks, Dave - here you go:

fsx_scenery_settings.png

My textures in fsx.cfg are set to 4096, but I get the problem at 1024 and 2048.

I have a friend (BobL) that has an almost identical setup to mine (system and FTX-wise) and he's always had the same problem - though I don't know what his scenery settings are.

What are your settings, Dave? I'll give them a go!

Adam.

I thought I'd do some "scientific" tests, so set all my sliders totally to the left and moved each one back up a notch - one at a time - to see when the problem kicked in.

Whilst in "hover" mode (in slew) at that location, I found that making *any change* (forcing FSX to reload the scenery) "appeared" to resolve the issue. However - if I then used the "World/Go to Airport" option and go back to NZNE, then took off and headed back to the problem area, the levitation is back.

My procedure is as follows:

1) Start FSX - then go to NZNE from the opening screen.

2) Take off and fly approximately 030.

Adam.

Adam set your mesh res to 5 mtr as recommended

Tried that, Wolter (thanks) ... no-go. Same problem. ???

Floating houses have been there since day one of NZNI release. To solve the problem, just reload the scenery via scenery library. Houses go back to normal.

I know these problems have been around since day one ;) - that's why I was hoping they may have been fixed with SP1. Same goes for similar problems in NZSI around Queenstown (though I *think* those were fixed <?> - I must go and check).

Reloading the scenery is a *temporary solution* only. Fly outside the autogen area (or start from another airfield) and you'll get them back again.

Adam.

My only wish (since I'm happy that NZNI was made at all) would be to get Awakino village added to the Awakino river mouth. I know it's not much more than a pub, petrol station, general store and a few baches (cribs, shacks, pick your name for a holiday cabin) but I notice it every time I head along the north Taranaki coast. This assumes that it's not there and that I've not been looking at another river mouth all this time...

Mike

Tried that, Wolter (thanks) ... no-go. Same problem. ???

I know these problems have been around since day one ;) - that's why I was hoping they may have been fixed with SP1. Same goes for similar problems in NZSI around Queenstown (though I *think* those were fixed <?> - I must go and check).

Reloading the scenery is a *temporary solution* only. Fly outside the autogen area (or start from another airfield) and you'll get them back again.

Adam.

I agree!

BTW Adam, have you checked out the new Wellington by GodZone? The pics look amazing!

I agree!

BTW Adam, have you checked out the new Wellington by GodZone? The pics look amazing!

They do look great - I admit! Importantly, it's designed to blend in/work with FTX NZNI.

I'm wondering whether ORBX have any plans to do any standalone NZ airports. I heard NZAA was being talked about, then then the trail went cold! Looking at the pics of KMRY, I'd love to see something of that quality.

I wish ORBX would just put Robin on the payroll :lol: :lol: :lol: ... but ... better stay on-topic!

Adam.

Hi Adam,

Other than what has been recommended above, (for floating houses) 5M mesh Res & 7cm Texture Res I don't know why your houses are floating on the North Shore.  

No Gotchas from me in NZNI SP1 is looking terrific I must say, and those Vector Road Lights are magnigicent 

But what I was wondering was how close you were to buying FTXGlobal - there are some excellent features that come into play in a Hybrid mode situation. Your tin roofs become textured tiled roofs, dark grey or terracotta. Tan, spruce, and Lt grey tin are relegated to OCEANIA texture set only. If your getting closer to a decision there are definitely benefits to be gained with FTXG/Base. Just thought I'd mention this, I was baffled at first by your shot and what difference I was seeing, then I remembered you have not gone down the Global road yet and I had Global & Hybrid Activated.

Here are some shots for comparison, No1 is your shot incorporated into a 3 way composite with my FTXGlobal & Hybrid. Then my Oceania Active which matches yours, but without the flying houses. No2 is just to show the beautiful Global & Hybrid roof textures more clearly. Sorry about the size of No1 it got a little distorted once I started combining the images.

No1

PpQhe.jpg

No2

znedp.jpg

Now back to Topic

Jeff - thanks for taking the time to do all those comparisons - they're really quite interesting.

However - I have to say I'm confused again (seems a permanent state of affairs with me these days :lol:). I've asked in other threads as to whether there was any benefit in installing/running FTX Global when you're in a "full fat" region. I was told there'd be no point (no difference) ... yet there obviously *is* a difference.

BUT ... isn't there a possibility (like in your 2nd/middle shot) that though the textures look better, they may be "wrong" for that area?

As to the levitating houses - they occur in only a few places throughout NZNI/NZSI and not everywhere, so I suspect there's some weird localised mesh problem or I'd be seeing it all over the place <?>.

Adam.

Hi Adam,

I thought that was true as well, and had not really taken much notice of the specifics (tiny differences) between Full Fat and having Hybrid active in Aussie and NZ. But your screenie forced me to take a closer look. As you can see when I have only NZNI/Oceania active I have the same as you, but when I use Global & Hybrid things change. As for "wrong for the area", although I do like a certain level of realism I can appreciate the different effect, and not need to stick to absolute reality for any given area.  I'm not widely travelled so have no local perspective on NZ. That would change if the houses in my local area (NSW North Coastal beach tourist area) were to be transformed into tintops, because they are mostly tiled with some highrise holiday apartments.

Just having some thoughts on Mesh, are you using any third party mesh product, and if so is it correctly positioned in Scenery Library order.

Just having some thoughts on Mesh, are you using any third party mesh product, and if so is it correctly positioned in Scenery Library order.

No - only Holger Mesh (but that's for AU - and I tried it disabled as well). My friend (BobL) with an almost identical setup has *never, ever* had anything other than pure FTX sceneries and mesh on his system, and he gets them as well.

I know what you mean about "correct" textures - I suppose it can be a bit of a "swings and roundabouts" situation, depending on where you fly. My pet peeve with NZNI/NZSI is the abundance of Gothic cathedrals.We only have one in NZ and that, sadly, fell down in the quake. Mind you - that's an *object* problem, not a texture one ;).

Adam.

"I'm wondering whether ORBX have any plans to do any standalone NZ airports. I heard NZAA was being talked about, then then the trail went cold!"

I think we can wonder all we like but ORBX policy will neither confirm nor deny intention to produce other airports nor will they warm up the trail in any shape or fashion about NZAA.

- Floating houses = old FSX bug, and perhaps also a P3D bug..., nothing we (Orbx) can do about that at our end

- Flying in NZNI with [Global] set and Hybrid mode ticked will allow you to run all FTXregions/FTXglobal together, but with some minor compromises, most notably the incorrect autogen roofs

- For best results set FTXCentral to [Oceania] when flying in NZNI, this way you'll see it as we intended - also with the correct roofs/color palette

- The highest compiled resolution mesh will always override the lesser, no matter the priority in Scenery-Library, NZNI uses a special mix of several mesh sources compiled at 10m by the master mesher Holger

- Gothic Cathedrals are a part of the annotations in the landclass tiles, I can honestly pass the buck here and say 'they made me do it' ::)

- Orbx future plans, please see our new policy here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/84391-future-product-announcements-and-plans-from-sept-2014-onwards/

Cheers

Tim

Aaah yes Cathederals, NZ is a very church minded nation.  

Full Fat Regions such as NZNI & NZSI come with Orbx custom mesh, so I would be surprised if you needed any higher resolution mesh for those areas. However Australia did not come with mesh so it is necessary to install Holgers Mesh for Australia.

Thanks Tim for that excellent info, although un-intended, those Grey and Terracotta tiled roof textures really enrich the landscape against a backdrop of lush green grass/trees and the blue - blue sky, I do love them so!  but I will heed your advice and try to use the proper loadup. The grey tan & green tinnies are of course intended to be the way you created the Region and are authentic.  

BTW Adam, I had my first sight of floating houses, no biggie really > just click Pause > ALT to Menu > open Scenery Library > Click OK. Scenery will refresh with houses back at ground level > continue flying.

Hehe ... thanks as well from me Tim. Always good to hear the real low-down. I'll shaddap about it now! :lol:

Just one thing, Tim - how do we know whether a mesh is *compiled*? Or do we just leave well alone and let FTX Central get on with it?!

Jeff - yes - reloading the scenery is what I generally do. To be honest, it's not really a big deal - I only "flagged it" as I thought it might be fixable. 99.99999% of all my other NZ accommodation appears pretty stable - quake or no quake!

Adam.

Hi Jeff,

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, so whichever way you like to run it is perfectly fine, the roofs are one of the only remaining noticeable things with the 'Hybrid mode' now, the consolidation of the major base files when FTXglobal came out helped a lot, for both current and also upcoming projects it allows us a lot more freedom and independence as developers to create better and more life-like sceneries 

Hi Adam,

I have no idea which meshes you're currently running that might cover NZ, but if you have NZSI and NZNI you should have no need for any other mesh here. and no need to do anything other than set 5m on the slider, Holgers NZ mesh should override any others AFAIK

Archived