KROW to KTUS Lear 24

flyultimate

Well, set up DX10 for the first time in years to see what would come of it.

After reading the results from the many folks who are having success with DX10 in the FTX forums, I have to admit that I like what I'm seeing so far.

Many thanks to all who have shared their "fixes", and to Steve for his unselfish publishing of his shaders.

This is the Beautiful and Great flying Lear 24, using DX10, from William "the Lionheart" Ortis.

These shots are after applying the new update to the Lear.

Climbing out of Roswell.

ch58X.jpg

Climbing to FL410

VIkuh.jpg

Just abeam Ruidoso, with a touch of Fall in the air

RZDqo.jpg

Level at FL410

ZQhE.jpg

Descending for the approach to runway 29R

FTd02.jpg

Tucson International and runway 29 in sight

Gygah.jpg

Approach speed, gear down, flaps full

U2Rj.jpg

xbKLz.jpg

And N700M will be going to the Learjet Factory

rcp6j.jpg

Please note:

All scenery viewed made all the better by the folks at Fullterrain, and everybody survived the landing!

I liked this set very much. And I too think Bill's LJ24B is a great plane and he has achieved his aim of making a version that has a reasonable system depth while being fun to fly. And she is fast and true to the real version. I'm curious about the upgrade you mention, as I bought the plane last week and wonder if the update was included. I did not see any mention of it. I note that the glare shield actuators as well as the Port/Starboard Nav lights flare their colors as per a warning I read. I wonders if this is the fix for this issue.

Good Morning to all. Thank you Iain, Ziggy, razalom, Capt Pugwash, and Anton very much for the comments.

Anton, here is a link to AirDailyX, and for William Ortis's website for the Lear 24B:

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/LJ24B.html

AirDailyX is where I first found out about the update to the Lear 24B a couple of days ago. I don't know if the update was included in your purchase. The update is to version 1.1.

I didn't see anything in the update about the issues you mentioned. I'll do some night flights and check for what you have found.

I have had several very minor issues with the Lear in both FSX and P3D, with P3D being more problematic. Bill has responded to each of my issues within a day by email. Two emails sent just yesterday were responded to by Bill yesterday.

We have resolved the FSX issues, and just have an issue with the "orange disks" protruding out of the cowlings of each engine in P3D. His attention to customer support and to his product is second to none. Something we miss dearly in the Flight Sim World.

At the bottom of the Lear website is Bill's email contact. Send him a "Squawk List" and it would not surprise me if you hear from him very promptly.

This is a fun jet to fly with nicely simulated systems. It handles beautifully, just as the real Lears do. I would definitely love to see Bill come out with the Lear 60.

The Lear 24B has become one of many in the stable that gets taken out of the hangar often to put some air under her wings.

Cheers,

Jim

Thank you Greg.

If my memory serves me, that is Camelback. Hate to say that I can't be 100% sure on this though.

But, I can 100% remember Lil' Abners. Outstanding steak and ribs. Good enough to make your tongue slap your brains out!

Landing 29R. Love this area a lot.

Jim

Cool shots. I'm really enjoying this plane as well. For a long time we really had no classic LearJet versions that simulated the systems these planes used back then. It's awesome planning and flying routes based solely on fundamental radio navigation using good old "steam" gauges. :)

Thanks Jocko.

And, I agree with you. While I like PFDs, MFDs, etc, I really like steam gauges. Bill did an outstanding job on not only the gauges, but the systems. Especially the fuel system.

So far, 3/4 of the flights are VOR to VOR with some ADF nav, with the rest using the GPS.

Looking forward to more shots from you.

Thank you Francois.

Bill's excellent Lear and the outstanding FTX Global make for a fantastic combination. Can't wait for OpenLC U.S. after seeing what they have done with Europe!

What has been done for FSX and P3D is jaw-dropping. Folks like Bill Ortis and Fullterrain make this the best yet.

I absolutely enjoy looking at the great shots everyone posts and there are so many great captures.

Cheers,

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi flyultimate,

Nice shots! And I was about to order it but then I´ve read on the Lionheart website that the LJ24B is not for DX10...

"The LJ24B will not work correctly in DX10 in FSX.  We do not know why but it refuses to work correctly
in DX10. If you use the LJ24B in FSX in DX10 mode, expect to see odd things happening, such as swirling odd reflections in the perspex inside VC
mode, effects like the engine floating outside the nacelle, etc, etc."

Did you have any issues?

Cheers, Stephan

Just re-reading this topic - I can't believe that a commercial developer of aircraft add-ons "simply don't know why it doesn't work in DX10". Remind me not to buy any Lionheart products.

Of all the countless aircraft I have in my "hangar" there are hardly any that don't work in DX10. Even many ancient/legacy models can be persuaded to work.

Adam.

Hi, Adam,

I re-installed FSX and got out of the P3D business for awhile, so I've been away working on FSX.

While I read the info from Lionheart about the Lear 24 not working in DX10, I experimented with it in DX10 anyway. The only issue I had was with the windscreen. There was a noticable, but not unexceptable abberation when viewing through the windscreen.

I haven't addressed this with William, as it really isn't a major detraction from his project. Though, wish it didn't happen. You can see the issue in the second from the last screenshot in my original post. And, you can see through the windscreen beautifully in spite of the problem.

I'm currently not using DX10, as I have been pulling my hair and teeth out trying to get rid of the exceedingly aggravating jaggies! Finally went back to a known NI set-up and am back in business.

DX10 is next on the agenda....again.

Have you experienced any major DX10 problems with the Lear 24, out of curiosity?

Cheers,

JIm

I'm currently not using DX10, as I have been pulling my hair and teeth out trying to get rid of the exceedingly aggravating jaggies! Finally went back to a known NI set-up and am back in business.

DX10 is next on the agenda....again.

Have you experienced any major DX10 problems with the Lear 24, out of curiosity?

Jim - I haven't got the Lear24, so can't tell you (!). I don't mind putting in a bit of work getting old/legacy/freeware models to work in DX10 but don't expect to have to do it for new/commercial software.

As for DX10 "jaggies" - try going through the "How-To" guide (link in my sig) to see if there's anything you may have missed. Are you running Steve's Fixer (commercial or the freeware shaders)?

Adam.

Hi, Adam,

I got you. I thought you already had the Lear.

She sure is a beautiful thing. It flys so well. And, really looks great.

I'm not sure what the cause of the windscreen issue is, but it isn't really that bad.

I will go through your material and start on DX10 again in the morning. Looking forward to it. I just spent the last few weeks trying different settings with DX9, and just today, eliminated nearly all of the jaggies. YEAAAAAAH!!!!

I also need to purchase Steve's DX10 Fixer. He has had some great things to help DX10 out.

SweetFX is also in the works again.

JIm

I'm not sure what the cause of the windscreen issue is, but it isn't really that bad.

I also need to purchase Steve's DX10 Fixer. He has had some great things to help DX10 out.

If you Google around, you'll see plenty of info - particularly in the A2A forums, where people have been tinting the windscreen for the C172. It's a combination of transparency and reflectivity - both in turn affected by the specular light map settings. All of which DX10 can handle (well) - and all very do-able.

As for the Fixer - here's one good reason (for those people in no rush to get P3D) - great cockpit shadows!

b25j_vcshadowing_278_1280.jpg

Adam.

Great set Jim, I would not use FSX without Steve's DX10 fixer now as you can see with the shadows on the aircraft.  This fixer makes FSX still the King as far as I am concerned..  :)

See the tail shadow and look through the trees, it's almost real:

c748r.jpg

Hello, Adam,

Well, jumped into the "Hot Water" this morning and have been tweaking and jumping for joy today.

I downloaded your DX10 guide and followed it to a "T".

Purchased Steve's DX10 Fixer and set up the system.

There are so few "jaggies" with the set-up you suggested, and I had to modify a little....Very Little!

I set a TV resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel to 2850x1440, and set this as the in-game resolution. In-game, the screen is flawless!

Steve sure did produce an outstanding product to make life so much easier.

Here's just a sample:

Departure at Noon out of PACD, Cold Bay, Alaska, in the Aleutian Islands.

iw4fn.jpg

CFy2c.jpg

nhqbc.jpg

Level at FL350 direct to PAWD

HFzR0.jpg

Adam, thank you for your suggestions and for your excellent DX10 guide. I love this product more than I ever have, and have been fooling around with FSX since it came out.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi, jaydor,

I also followed your suggestion as well about Steve's DX10 fixer.

This simulator has NEVER looked this good!

I really appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Jim

Archived