REX or not to REX is the question

Aussieflyer38

To use REX Essential PLUS with OverDrive within Prepar3D, users will be required to pay a one-time licensing fee. Purchasing this special license is only available within the REX application. To use FlightAware data within REX Essential PLUS with OverDrive, users will be required to purchase a monthly subscription. Purchasing this subscription is only available within the REX application.

I'm considering buying REX Essentials Plus w/overdrive DVD, but am curious as to what the licence fee is about for P3D. As I'm new at this and haven't encountered this before, could someone please enlighten me. How much is the licence fee and how long is it for, also if I purchase REX 4 - texture Direct HD does that also involve another licence fee. Don't quite understand why there is a licence fee for P3D and not FSX. As I'm relatively close to changing to P3D, it would be helpful to know how this works. Thanks.

Don

I use a combination of both, Rex3 and Rex4 for FSX DX10. I was going to "upgrade" my Rex3 EOD but I'm uncertain whether it has been updated to work with P3D 2.2 or not (there's absolutely no mention of it on the main product page or inside the application). There's a much greater sky variation in Rex3, something I would love to use in P3D 2.2

I use ASN for my weahter.

Okay guys I have REX 4 Texture Direct HD. I'm used to  chucking a disk into the CD/DVD player and after it's done its thing, get on with whatever I bought it for. I have downloaded REX and installed it, well I think so. I am confused with the other files and what to do with them. I have "folders" - Images, Log, Sounds, Textures, Windvanes. And I have "text docs" Rextexture.mdf, Rextexture_log.ldf, Rextexture direct.exe.config, and lastly Rextexture direst.xmlserializers.dll

I have no idea what these are for or if I'm supposed to do something with them. I have REX on my "C" drive as instructed, and therefore assume that the developers have somehow linked it to FSX for it to work in the FSX sim. I am not doing something, (maybe anything) right, as when I fly, it doesn't look any different to what I had before. So gentlemen please assist this doddering old fool out and tell me what to do. Thanks

Don    

Okay guys I have REX 4 Texture Direct HD. I'm used to  chucking a disk into the CD/DVD player and after it's done its thing, get on with whatever I bought it for. I have downloaded REX and installed it, well I think so. I am confused with the other files and what to do with them. I have "folders" - Images, Log, Sounds, Textures, Windvanes. And I have "text docs" Rextexture.mdf, Rextexture_log.ldf, Rextexture direct.exe.config, and lastly Rextexture direst.xmlserializers.dll

I have no idea what these are for or if I'm supposed to do something with them. I have REX on my "C" drive as instructed, and therefore assume that the developers have somehow linked it to FSX for it to work in the FSX sim. I am not doing something, (maybe anything) right, as when I fly, it doesn't look any different to what I had before. So gentlemen please assist this doddering old fool out and tell me what to do. Thanks

Don    

Assuming that you ran the installation and being able to start REX4 you should tell REX4 in the settings the path to your FS but there are more settings to do or at least to check. Don't forget to trigger the REX4 backup. After this you can create your own texture theme or use one of the public available themes. Install this into your FS and end REX4. You need to run it only again if you want to change the theme or parts of a theme. From now on your FS has REX4 textures.

Maybe this helps

Spirit

Archived