Southern European textures too green

Hello,

I am using a combination of FTX Global, FTX Vector and openLC. In Northern Europe (Germany, Holland, GB, etc.) the textures seem to be spot on, but unfortunately when going to Mediterranean countries like Greece or Portugal the summer textures have a greenish tint. In reality and especially during summer season the landscape in these countries has more of a desert-like feel and there is almost no green to be made out when flying there.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about, the screenshot has been taken around 200km North-North-East from Faro and shows the Portugese-Spanish border. The lake in the screenshot can hardly be missed. On the left hand side you can see photoscenery of Portugal and on the right hand side you can see FTX Global textures + openLC EU. I think it is immediately visible how the FTX textures are a bit to green.

spanienhisq6.jpg

I do know that FTX Global cannot compete with photoscenery in terms of accurracy, but that is not what I am complaining about. This is also not a problem limited to Portugal and Spain, but evident in the whole Mediterranean region. I think that with a bit more of colour matching it would be easy to achieve a more realistic look.

Please note that I didn't take the screenshot, but I have the permission to post it here in order to visualize the problem.

Thanks,

Sebastian

I just checked the area you've mentioned in Google Earth, and using the date slider to check different years, the scenery changes from quite green to quite dry.  So although in some years the OpenLC may be greener than it appears in aerial imagery, in others it is pretty accurate.

post-82-0-98307600-1406114755_thumb.jpg

The photoreal in your screenshot looks extremely dry to me, more like a desert texture!

John, thanks for your reply. I see that the area seems to go through a big transition even during one single season.

I've also got a Google Earth image, it is from 2011 and shows on the left side how burnt and desert-like the landscape can look in those regions, while on the other side you can see a lot of green just like in your image. I actually don't even think both sides on my image are from the same season, so Google Earth might also be a bit off with the images.

unbenanntubkn1.jpg

Just speaking from my personal experience, everytime I've been to Greece or Portugal in summer, the landscape rather had this desert-like feel.

Regards,

Sebastian

This is interesting. Other scenery developers have wrestled with the problem of creating common textures that will be used in both Northern Europe and Southern Europe. GEX did a really good job on the compromise. but still ended up with textures that made Northern Europe look too hot and dry. It sounds like ORBX have gone the other way, making Southern Europe too green and lush. I understood that with their myriad of textures and OpenLC Europe, ORBX could make both regions look correct. I still hope that is the case. The last thing I need is for them to change the textures used in Northern Europe to make them work down south. 

Especially a little bit disappointing as this fact was also being discussed after the initial release of FTX Global, where some of the users were being put off to FTX OpenLC Europe for this problem to be fixed. Obviously, the additional 20GB of textures etc. are still not enough to properly cover southern Europe. That's kind of a pity...

OK I just checked Bing Maps to see if they had desert type dry textures in their satellite imagery and if anything theirs is greener than Google Earth's.  This would seem to indicate that there's a good chance that the countryside has a substantial green look for at least some of the year.

Bing Maps Portugal:

post-82-0-84547500-1406190332_thumb.jpg

FTX Global OLC Eu in Fall

post-82-0-60236900-1406190335_thumb.jpg

FTX Global OLC Eu in Winter

post-82-0-86663400-1406190337_thumb.jpg

The textures might not be perfect and from year to year the look of the countryside may change but from the evidence at hand it would appear that the textures as portrayed are fairly close to reality.

Hmm, well, I was one of the guys who was unhappy with the initial release of Global, due to the same concerns as Sebastian. However, JV confirmed that the issue would be dealt with with the open landclass product.

I have just returned from Malaga in Spain, installed OLC and flew out of Malaga, paying close attention to the surrounding countryside, I was really pleased to see that yes, the area was far more arid and dry than previously and IMO Orbx have done a pretty good job. I've just seen a screenie elsewhere on the forum, of a shot over Greece, that too, I think is a really good representation of the terrain. However, I have not done any further flying since installing OLC, but hope to do so today.

The textures might not be perfect and from year to year the look of the countryside may change but from the evidence at hand it would appear that the textures as portrayed are fairly close to reality.

You are right that it is hardly possible to make perfect textures for every place due to the variation in colours from year to year.

Still, I think the textures are a bit to green when comparing them to my personal experience and not to any satellite images.

First I want to state that OpenLC EU in my eyes is a fantastic piece of work and the variety and the "look and feel" of the specific regions is extremely good.

However, having visited a few Southern European countries I do agree with the OP that parts of Southern Europe in the hot summer months, especially July, August, September, looks more brownish and dry than the ORBX texures for summer.

Here is a thread discussing this along with a real life picture from Mallorca in Summer:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/80987-openlc-eu-mediterranean-impressions/page-2#entry745663

I guess, It's a very hard thing to find the right balance between northern and southern textures on the one hand and between the seasonal changes on the other hand.

For example, RL Mallorca in spring looks almost as green as Ireland from the air whereas in the "high summer" months it's almost completely dry.

Then there are changes from one summer to another, depending on the amount of rainfall - something than just cannot be depicted within FSX with a reasonal amount of work.

Conclusion: I am very happy with the Open LC textures, but if the team decided to make the Southern European textures look a bit dryer, I would certainly welcome the move. :)

I am very happy with the Open LC textures, but if the team decided to make the Southern European textures look a bit dryer, I would certainly welcome the move. :)

Same here, I'm also happy with the product as it is now, but would love to see an improvement for the discussed problem. It would only make a good product even better.

OK I just checked Bing Maps to see if they had desert type dry textures in their satellite imagery and if anything theirs is greener than Google Earth's.  This would seem to indicate that there's a good chance that the countryside has a substantial green look for at least some of the year.

Bing Maps Portugal:

attachicon.gifPortugal2.jpg

FTX Global OLC Eu in Fall

attachicon.gifPortugalGlobalFall.jpg

FTX Global OLC Eu in Winter

attachicon.gifPortugalGlobalWinter.jpg

So going by them SS its green in the hight of summer and look dry in winter!.....

My friends are in south Spain right now and its 85-98 every day, green, sorry I think not.

It's very dry and baron thought the height of "summer"

Does not matter what google or bing show, its not green this time of year. The SierraNevada is dessert like most of the time.

So going by them SS its green in the hight of summer and look dry in winter!.....

My friends are in south Spain right now and its 85-98 every day, green, sorry I think not.

It's very dry and baron thought the height of "summer"

Does not matter what google or bing show, its not green this time of year. The SierraNevada is dessert like most of the time.

Yes, that is also my observation, thanks for posting! :)

Unfortunately still no comment on this issue from the ORBX team? :(

Archived