Windows 8.1: do I really need to install .NET Framework 3.5...?

NoLonger

I have a new PC with Windows 8.1. It comes with .NET Framework 4.5 installed. I always thought (and after searching this forum this seems to be true) that I do NOT need to install Framework 3.5 because 4.5 is backwards compatible. However, after installing Global and when FTX Central is trying to open itself, I get a message saying I need to install Framework 3.5...?

Do I really need it? As I said, I've read posts saying 4.5 should work too...?

I don't think you understand what I mean: I am not talking about some blurb in a read me that tells me I need 3.5: FTX Central simply REFUSES to RUN! When I want to run it (or when it tries to run automatically after installing for instance Global), I get a message from Windows 8.1 that an app needs Framework 3.5: I can either choose to download and install it or I can skip the install after which everything closes down and FTX Central still won't run.

How is that possible if you guys never needed to install 3.5? As I said, Windows 8.1 comes with 4.5 so I don't understand what's happening here. I don't want to install the old 3.5 on my new OS if it's not mandatory. And since no one seems to have install 3.5 I wonder why I have to...!

Hi J van E,

I have had the same issue (FSX refuses to run) but with Win7 ultimate. I unchecked for some reasons .NET framework 3.5.1 in "Turn windows features on or off" in the Windows Control Panel (CP/Programs/unistall programs). Since I re-checked "Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation" within "Turn windows features on or off" under point "Microsoft .NET framework 3.5.1" everything is ok again. Therefor I think, you will need 3.5 respective 3.5.1.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Rainer

P.S.: My most recent .NET framework is 4.5.2

Windows 8 installation files do indeed include .Net up to version 4.5.

However, they are not installed by default.

They are in Windows 7, answering at least one of your questions.

Go to Control Panel\Programs and Features\Turn Windows Features on and off and see if

any of the two.NET features are ticked.

This is what you should see

LOJWI.jpg

A Windows error message stating that software is required is a pretty clear message that

the software is not installed.

Ok, so I do indeed have to 'install' (enable) 3.5! It's odd though that others apparently don't have to do this...? And it's also odd that I have to install/enable 3.5 because 4.5 should also work for programs that need 3.5, so I read (or presumed).

I just checked that windows on my PC and only 4.5 > WCF services > TCP Port Sharing is activated: everything else (when it comes to Framework) is off! I will start by only enabling the option that Rainer mentioned to see if that should do the trick: I don't feel like activating things I don't really need on my newly installed OS... ;)

It's not enabling it, it is installing as the files are either on your installation medium

or will need to be downloaded via Microsoft if you don't have the installation disc

or disc image.

This link explains it all and how to do it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Many many types of software require the .NET framework to function correctly.

My advice would be to install and activate the full version and have done with it.

It's not enabling it, it is installing as the files are either on your installation medium

or will need to be downloaded via Microsoft if you don't have the installation disc

or disc image.

This link explains it all and how to do it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Many many types of software require the .NET framework to function correctly.

My advice would be to install and activate the full version and have done with it.

Hm, well...

Odd thing 1:

I downloaded the full installer for 4.5 and when I ran it, I got a message that 4.5 was already installed and that I didn't need to reinstall it. This is WITHOUT changing anything in the window you posted earlier! So Windows 8.1 Update has 4.5 installed and ready for use.

Odd thing 2:

With 4.5 installed FTX Central still refuses to open and Windows keeps on saying I need to install 3.5... So 4.5 is NOT completely backwards compatible with 3.5.

Anyway, it seems the link you posted is the best thing to do: I opened the Windows Features window and only clicked on the 3.5 option (without enabling the two options beneath it): after that Central works.

What it means is network 3.5 or better, you don't need to install them all.

Just for the benefit of anyone reading this later in a search for help,

.NET Framework 3.5 needs to be installed, it does not matter if it has

had .NET 4.5 added.

Ahhh, maybe I just elected to have it download when asked and I have forgotten; I don't have it ticked in Programs and Features like Nick shows though: I just have a black square but nothing ticked.

Yes, you only need that black square: that means the main program has been installed without the two items underneath it, which you don't need.

Everything is working perfectly fine now. Odd though that the topics I found about all this on this forum state you only need 4.5 and that it will also take care of programs that need 3.5. As Nick pointed out: 3.5 is mandatory, even if you already have 4.5 installed!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just done a clean install of Win8.1 (upgrade from WIn8).

I have tried everything - Add features, elevated CMD, ISO SKD/.NET Framework 3.5, 3.5 installer all to no avail. .Net Framework 3.5 flatly refuses to install. 

So what is the work around?

Ben,

The add features error is that it can't connect to windows update. Tried the MS correction suggestions to no avail.

The elevated CMD options gets to 66% reading from the recovery disk then can't find file error message.

The .net 3.5 bootstrapper gives windows update connection error message.

Having trawled the net seeking a solution, for me to post is because nothing seems to work. None of my software is cracked so everything should work. Win8.1 system paranoia may be the exception.

Cheers Greg

Wolter,

Tried that and again and again....... Back to the same error code 0X800F0906. Tried the same in the elevated Administrator mode as well.

Funny that the Windows update in the link wont connect to the MS site yet the computer is connected to the internet??????? Windows update even automatically just checked and installed an update.

Is there a registry hack required to enable .Net 3.5 to install?

I've installed .Net 3.5 before on a Win7 machine with no drama, I don't understand why this is such a P I B grrrrr

• 3 weeks later...

A deserved slap to my head on this one. Whilst the computer would connect to the internet, it seems that Win8 firewall identified that connecting to a Microsoft update link was a serious threat to my computer. Choosing the firewall 'end of the world is nigh' option allowed the necessary install and all is now good.

Thank you all.

Archived