FTX AU Texture issues....?

Timmy74

Hi Guys,

I have just found some strange texture issues popping up in FTX AU.  I was doing a flight from Tyabb (YTYA) to Morrabbin (YBBM) and noticed these strange textures.  It reminds me of the texture issues that were happening with FTX CRM.   Could some one please confirm they are having the same issues.  The area is just east of Frankston and south of Patterson Lakes....

I have ALL patches and current Libraries upto date.  The photo's with the Tomahawk are from LIBS: 140601 and the Bonanza are the brand new LIBS: 140703 just to see if it was a LIB issue....  It is not.

YpBAt.jpg

NaceB.jpg

Ef15O.jpg

IwfUi.jpg

nz3J.jpg

73z5m.jpg

Oh.....I forgot to mention I have cycled through all of the regions to see if that would help too, but to no avail.....

Cheers,

Tim...

Hi all,

if the FSX or P3D terrain.cfg file becomes corrupted you may encounter strange textures across parts of the landscape that typically change rapidly when approaching. For example, see screenshots here:http://www.orbxsyste...tures/?p=689048

The issue stems from FSX/P3D not being able to find specific landclass textures and thus randomly displaying others; it doesn't mean that the textures are actually missing just that the terrain.cfg reference to their location is wrong or missing. The easiest fix -- rather than hunting for specific incorrect or missing entries -- is to "refresh" the terrain.cfg file. To do so you can use a backup of the original FSX/P3D version that we include in the \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work folder.

1. Navigate to your main FSX/P3D folder, locate your terrain.cfg file, and make a safety backup copy

2. Copy the backup of the original terrain.cfg file and paste it into your main FSX/P3D folder, clicking on yes when asked to overwrite

3. Start and cycle FTX Central at least once between options (it doesn't matter which) and press Apply to automatically re-insert all required FTX custom terrain.cfg entries

4. Start FSX and check whether the issue has disappeared. If not please post in our respective support forums and let us know where the issue occurs and what steps you've taken thus far

5. If the issue has been resolved, and you own other add-ons that require custom entries, like the Ultimate Terrain X series or FSAddon products (Vancouver+, Tongass Fjords X), you'll need to restore those entries too. For Ultimate Terrain all you need to do is to start each product's Setup.exe tools once (Windows Start Menu > All Programs > Flight One Software > Ultimate ... > Setup Tool). For other add-ons you need to use their respective repair options, e.g. Windows Start Menu > All Programs > FSAddon > Tongass Fjords FSX > Repair.

Cheers, Holger

Sorry but could we be a little more clear as to what to do?  It may be "clear as day" to computer pro's but for me I find it all very intimidating......I really do not have the time do do a FULL re-install of FSX if I fluff this up.

1) Does question 1 relate to "Orbx" terrain.cfg file (which is explaind how to find thank you), or "FSX"'s terrain.cfg file?  (Where do I find FSX's terrain.cfg file?

2) Question 2? Again is for Orbx terrain.cfg or FSX's terrain.cfg file and where exactly does one "paste" the copy of the  terrain.cfg file??  I have many files in FSX.....?  Is there a specific file or do I just paste it into C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator???  

3) Now if the "back up" file is the good one why does it not use that one all the time??? And why would I be getting this issue in the first place???  My regions have been fantastic for a very long time but now something has gone south...why?  I follow all the instructions and have update everything when required.

Kind regards,

Tim..

Hi Tim,

1. there is only one terrain.cfg file in the main FSX folder. That's the active version that contains the default FSX entries plus the Orbx custom entries added to it.

2. the idea is to overwrite the active version, which may have become corrupted, with a copy of the original (unappended) FSX version, then let FTX Central reinsert those required Orbx entries

3. the original doesn't have any Orbx entries added to it, only FTX Central can do that. Besides, what specific entries are added depends what Orbx add-ons you have installed meaning there isn't just one "master" version we could supply.

There are different ways how the terrain.cfg file can become corrupted but fortunately it's a simple fix. And if it doesn't work then you can always revert to the safety backup version we ask you to make in step 1.

Cheers, Holger 

Hi Tim,

1. there is only one terrain.cfg file in the main FSX folder. That's the active version that contains the default FSX entries plus the Orbx custom entries added to it.

2. the idea is to overwrite the active version, which may have become corrupted, with a copy of the original (unappended) FSX version, then let FTX Central reinsert those required Orbx entries

3. the original doesn't have any Orbx entries added to it, only FTX Central can do that. Besides, what specific entries are added depends what Orbx add-ons you have installed meaning there isn't just one "master" version we could supply.

There are different ways how the terrain.cfg file can become corrupted but fortunately it's a simple fix. And if it doesn't work then you can always revert to the safety backup version we ask you to make in step 1.

Cheers, Holger 

Hello again Holger,

Please excuse my ignorance....but here is a screen of the multiple "terrain.cfg" files I have in my FSX folder???

oDvTS.jpg

So which one do I make a copy of and which one do I replace?  I am so confused????

Kind regards.

Tim...

Hi Tim,

"main FSX folder" refers to the one that also has the FSX.exe file in it, in your case C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\. That's the one you need to replace with the backup version in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work. Both files are named "terrain.cfg".

Cheers, Holger

Hi Tim,

"main FSX folder" refers to the one that also has the FSX.exe file in it, in your case C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\. That's the one you need to replace with the backup version in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work. Both files are named "terrain.cfg".

Cheers, Holger

Thank you Holger.  I will give it a go and report back.

Thank you for your patience.

Tim...

Hello Holger,

Here is my update...... Not good!!!

I made a copy of the terrain.cfg fromn the Orbx folder and put in my "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" folder and replaced the one when asked....

I tried to repair my Tongass_Fjords install but got this message.....

8U6Ky.jpg

So i uninstalled Tongass_Fjords and did a re-install of Tongass_Fjords.   Now after this my scenery library insertions points got all screwed up, so a bit of time and fluffing around to get them all back to where they should have been....

So now when I went back to "Oceania" (Because I selected "North America" when installing Tongass Fjords), I went for a fly and was getting this in the original affected area....

xKhUZ.jpg

Strange park lands and no freeway....

zgcnK.jpg

No freeway.

wQifN.jpg

No freeway and bridges out of line???

So then I remembered "cycle through FTX Central" so I did.....  This what I got.....

vX6S2.jpg

h3DU4.jpg

The freeways are back but I am back to square one.........

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Tim...

Sorry Holger that last entry was a bit abrasive (I got busted at work and was late for a meeting), so to answer your question politely....  

Yes all of those issue shots are from FTX Central set to "Oceania" and I have all of the current patches and library's installed.   I am wondering if when I installed AYPY (due to mesh install) could of there been an issue??  That was the last FTX product I had installed before these issues popped up, because I have been for the past few months flying in Australia and NZ.

Kind regards,

Tim..

Hi Tim.  Do you have Vector installed?  If so please try unticking the ORBX!VECTOR_CVX entry in the FSX Scenery Library and see if that makes a difference.  I'm having problems there.

Hello John,

You have jogged my memory now....in the last few weeks I have had every FTX library entry ticked to test load times.  You maybe onto something there...!?  I will give it a crack tonight when I get home and report back.

Kind regards,

Tim...

Hi Tim.  Do you have Vector installed?  If so please try unticking the ORBX!VECTOR_CVX entry in the FSX Scenery Library and see if that makes a difference.  I'm having problems there.

Hello again John,

Success!!!!  I unticked the "ORBX!VECTOR_CVX" entries and she all seems to be working fine now.....fingers crossed.

2pUiD.jpg

4mAQV.jpg

So why would this happen if I have a region ticked?  Should it not then disable all Vector entries if you are flying in a "Full Fat Region"??  Also what other issues could occur if I have "FTX Central Global" ticked along with "Hybrid"?

Kind regards,

Tim...

Vector only affects the AU Blue and Gold regions I believe, they were the first FTX products and did not replace all original FSX data when loaded so Vector calls for some original FSX textures in these areas that aren't in the FTX replacement... or something along those lines.  Anyway the word is, when flying in Aust untick Vector.  I'm pretty sure Vector data for the Aust roads and coasts isn't any better than the FTX original anyway.

If ever they revisit AU for a makeover I'm sure this will be attended to.

Thank you John for the "Heads Up".  I will keep that in mind when flying in AU.  I am sure this will get fixed when OPENLC Asia is released....?

Again, I can not thank you and Holger enough for helping me out with this little pickle.

Regards always,

Tim...

Archived